Fan Belt Replacement

Technical queries or suggestions
Andrew Faulds

Fan Belt Replacement

Post by Andrew Faulds »

I wish to replace the fan belt on my 1983 Plus 8 but on looking closer, I notice that the gap between the water pump pulley bolt and a tubular cross member is very small, ie not wide enough to pass the fan belt through! A relatively simple job now looks a bit of a nightmare! Is there a simple answer or are we talking about having to jack or lift the whole engine up to create a sufficient gap? Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks!
Simon Baines

Re: Fan Belt Replacement

Post by Simon Baines »

Andrew

I have a similar problem on my 1992 +8. Have you tried twisting the belt through 90 degrees as it is thinner in section and should just fit through the gap.

Good luck!
Andrew Faulds

Post by Andrew Faulds »

Thanks Simon, I hadn't thought of that bit of lateral thinking, although it still looks very marginal - the gap is little more than 5mm and the fan belt cross section is about 9mm, but I will investigate further . I could always remove a few "teeth" from the belt but that will obviously weaken it some - what, or I may try and "drift" it through the gap with a blunt wedge. At least I know there is no easy answer.
Andrew Faulds

Post by Andrew Faulds »

Simon, your idea worked a treat! Just had to shave a little bit off a small section of "teeth" but I don't think that will weaken the belt significantly. Thanks for the tip!
Lorne Goldman

Post by Lorne Goldman »

Next time, don't risk the belt. Remember that the engine is held on rubber engine supports at the sides and the the gearbox is on rubber as well.

Simply use a long bar between something solid on the engine and the cross bar and force the engine back a centimeter or two and slip the belt over.

Lorne