Finding date stamp

Technical queries or suggestions
Jonathan Edwards

Finding date stamp

Post by Jonathan Edwards »

Hi, Anyone know where I should look to find a possible date stamp to any of the bodywork on a moss box plus 8? I hear the inner wing is possible but where exactly, if at all?
Doing some detective work!
Jonathan
Mark Shears

Re: Finding date stamp

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jonathan,

Have you looked on the underside of the offside bonnet half nearest the front bonnet hinge?!

Cheers

Mark Shearlock Holmes
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

Jonathan, apparently the nice lady who is our membership secretary may have some details of your car on her database if you e-mail her the information you already have!

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Have you looked on the underside of the offside bonnet half nearest the front bonnet hinge?!
That is always assuming that the bonnet and all of the bodywork etc. are original.
Most cars of that age are a bit like the Irishman's hammer......3 new heads and 2 new handles.
Jonathan Edwards

Thanks for the feedback folks. I checked Holmes' theory and indeed there are two stamps on the leading edges of the bonnet hinge sections, however they correspond to the engine number and don't seem to offer a date.
The Morgan build sheet records suggest the car being first registered in early '71 but it has a steel floor chassis which I'm led to believe are pre- '71, hence my search for a date stamp elsewhere. Both Chassis and body are said to be original (two owner car and low mileage).
Will keep digging.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Does it have a chassis number?
Jonathan Edwards

It does, which ties in with the Morgan build sheet. Not sure I want to publicise all detail on the forum but was just seeking knowledge on other possible locations for date stamps. It's the steel floor which raised my interest, although the nice man at the factory seemed to think it entirely possible a 71 build could have an earlier spec chassis (steel vs wood floors in footwells).
How's your +8 rebuild going Mary, are we going to see you out competing again this year?
Cheers.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I am happy to chat privately if that would help with identifying features Jonathan. We have had our car since 1975 and know a little bit about Moss box cars...
How's your +8 rebuild going Mary, are we going to see you out competing again this year?
We have a rolling chassis now and it is with the bodywork/paint man.
I certainly hope to be out at some stage during the season but, as we all know, these things take time.