New chassis

Technical queries or suggestions
Jochem Kentgens

New chassis

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

I currently consider changing the chassis of my +4 race car (1964) before the 2015 season. There is old accident damage, it has been under the car for decades while it was always raced and I would like to make some structural changes anyway, so might as wel do everything at once...

Anyone any experience in how this works formality wise?

Will have to send in copy of papers of the car to the factory? Will they send one off just like that? Is there a waiting list/period? What does a new chassis cost? I will probably have to destroy the old chassis?

Etc....

I think that the time element might be crucial in order to make April Hockenheim....

Thanks, Jochem
Robin Singleton
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: New chassis

Post by Robin Singleton »

Have bought new chassis in the past, one from Morgan and one from GEE. Both good, and not too expensive!

Make sure you get right chassis for the car though....there are differences!

Happy New Year

Robin Singleton
Robin Singleton
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Robin Singleton »

PS sorry, forgot to answer your questions

Only requirement was for me to produce/send a copy of registration.certificate indicating chassis number.....best then to have that stamped on new chassis.

Cost a couple or more years ago was below £1000.

Good luck

Robin
Jochem Kentgens

Thanks so much Robin. Now in contact with Terry at GEE.

It is 8 weeks delivery time so will do the operation after the 2015 season, but sounds very good and not too expensive as you say.

They also do the usual reinforcements so that saves DIY welding...;-)

Best wishes, Jochem
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Hi Jochem,

I too have had a new chassis from Terry at GEE. With proof of the old chassis number, he is able to stamp the new chassis in the correct locations as well as add additional strengthening as required. I would also suggest that you send in your crosshead and have Terry check it out for straightness and then let him align and drill the new chassis to suit.

Good luck

Tim
Jochem Kentgens

Thanks Tim, will definately ask him to arrange crosshead... my current track appears to be too wide for FIA standards, so it will probably be a plus eight crosshead or a later one... so this is the time to also set that straight...

Jochem
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Be careful on any structural changes you make to the chassis the FIA are getting fussy
don't alter the chassis under the rear ubolts leave it flat
you may also find if you try to fit a plus 8 X head the track will be wide if you put neg camber plates on ,so double check what track you are allowed
good luck with the rebuild

jack
Jochem Kentgens

Thanks Jack, didnt know about the rear reinforcements and the FIA's approach to that one. Will keep it as original as possible.

X head will definately be an original +4 unit in new situation.

We are experiencing stricter scrutineers here in Holland as well...good thing I guess and equals the Morgan playing ground....as long as we do not have to change back to 60 spoke 4,5 inch wires...:-)
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jochem,

I have just had a new chassis and crosshead from Terry for my 1952 Plus Four.

You are right to put off fitting it until the end of the season as it took Terry longer than 8 weeks - even with me nagging him!

But he does make excellent chassis and he will pre-drill it for the new crosshead too.

Jack is quite right - you MUST fit the correct period Plus 4 crosshead NOT the later Plus 8 type. You will not get HTP papers now unless the front track is correct.

Ecurie GTS and Equipe GTS have now merged to make one race series this year. Although like the HSCC Guards Trophy race series they do not inspect the HTP papers the cars must all run to correct FIA specification.

Look forward to seeing you at BDC Silverstone and even the Spa Summer Classic? The Challenge series are racing there on 26th/27th/28th June and as it is organised by the CSCC there will also be a race for our cars. I am going...

Cheers

Mark
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Hi Mark

Who is running the (re) merged Equipe GTS MGCC or AMOC?

I also agree ref the chassis etc
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Andy,

Good question! The guys at the point of contact are the same guys who have been running Ecurie GTS ie MGCC.

But they say the new series is now independent of both the MGCC and ACR (Aston Club Racing).

However the series is being administered by the existing clubs...

Will we see you on the 17th at The Leathern Bottle at Lewknor?

Cheers

Mark
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Planning to walk down and see you all , may even bring the dog
Andy Garlick

Post by Andy Garlick »

Just as well that these tougher scrutineers were not around when Lawrence was racing. He would rarely have got out of the paddock!
Mogman
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

How very true Andy, from someone who raced (bikes & scooters) in the late 60’s I know only too well that all of the racers & factories followed each other’s development’s avidly and then applied then to their own bikes or cars on a race by race basis – outwardly everything was the same as yours or that one could buy from dealer as numerous exterior photographs show.
The reality was something different under the bonnet or fairing and with regards running gear. How many under bonnet photos or suspension or brakes photos does one see!
Let’s not forget that at that time success on the track, trial or rally sold cars or accessories so one could not afford to let competitors steel a march time after time on an on-going basis.
Barry