Seat regs

Technical queries or suggestions
Mike Meredith

Seat regs

Post by Mike Meredith »

Hi, I am thinking of changing my seat and wanted to check what the regs are for circuit racing (in case I get sorted to give it a go).
Reading the Blue Book, sections J 5.3 (vehicles), K 2.2 (Safety) & Q19.3 (circuit racing), there does not appear to be a requirement for FIA approved seats. Do I need FIA approved? I had thought I did, but can't find the reference.
Once I know the required specification, I was hoping to get a "low back" bucket seat (i.e no head restraint) so I can use a standard tonneau and will mount the head restraint on the roll bar. Does anyone know a recommended supplier that doesn't cost the earth?
Many thanks.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Seat regs

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Mike, we run the original seats as fitted by the factory. I think these have to be accepted if they are original equipment.
I am not sure what the regs are for other seats but no doubt there will be others out there who can advise.
Mary
Mike Meredith

Post by Mike Meredith »

Thanks Mary, I've got an original seat I can put in, so that will be an option.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Still worth checking in the blue book just to be sure.
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Mike,
I think, that as Mary said, as along as you have the original seats in the car, you are ok for most UK club races. However if you were to race at places like Spa, ect. who run under FIA rules, then you need a in date FIA approved race seat. I know that in the Historic races (in UK) you can run original seats as long as they are "fit for purpose"
Out of interest, I find that a race seat (Sparco or Tillett) give better support while racing. In the scheme of things they are not that expensive and there is no life on them if you race in the UK.
Do come out and have a go with us in the Morgan Challenge Series. I know that you will enjoy it
Philip
Mike Meredith

Post by Mike Meredith »

Hi Phil / Mary,
Thanks for your responses. From what you have said, (& I can't see any contradictory information in the Blue book) I can use (racing in the UK) original or aftermarket seats which do not need to be FIA approved. I would prefer a proper race seat for the support, but don't want to spend more than I need to as there is lots of other kit to get as well. Hopefully I can get the car sorted, ARDs test & have a go next season.
Regards
Mike
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Hi Mike,

I was in the same position as you earlier this year, the “Blue Book” isn’t very clear as far as seats go.

Thinking I was looking at spending the wrong side of £700 to replace a perfectly good seat, I called Motorsport UK, had a chat with one of there tech blokes.
He told me for UK club racing you can have any type of seat you like, as long as it’s secure in the car and is safe.

If your buying a race seat for your Morgan, check the width, a lot of race seats are too wide for some Morgans, they can be made to fit by cutting bits off, but not what you want to do to an shiney new seat.

Regard Jim
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Mike
I have used and can recommend the Tillett Race Seats.
Very, very comfortable, despite little to no padding.

They do a low backed one the W1i, order it with the back frame for strength, it works well have then in our +4, though the full race seats give a lot better support and well worth thinking about. Though the negative is that you cannot use the tonneau.

As Philip says you only need a FIA one if you plan to race abroad

Barry
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

it would not be too expensive to have the tonneau altered for both seat and roll bar. Choose an appropriate Zip arrangement.
Take heed of Hon Chairmans advice if you wish to come to Spa next year (not to be missed)
peter
Mike Meredith

Post by Mike Meredith »

Jim / Barry / Peter

Thanks for your input. It's good to hear a direct confirmation from MotorSport UK (I should have thought to give them a call). Having had a look at the Tillet W1 it looks just the job so will look at getting one of them. I had thought about getting a tonneau to fit over a standard bucket seat but decided I prefer the look of the low back versions.
Many thanks all, it shows what a useful resource this forum is.
Hopefully, I will see you next season

Mike
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Better to have a proper race seat so it works with a Hans device

I know that its not required for older cars but if you value your neck its recommended!
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Andy Green wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:12 pm Better to have a proper race seat so it works with a Hans device

I know that its not required for older cars but if you value your neck its recommended!
+1
Mike Meredith

Post by Mike Meredith »

Hi Andy / Tony,
I hadn't thought about how the seat would interact with the Hans, it's obvious how it works relating to the belts, but does the seat affect it? I've currently got a belt bar running across the back of the body to attached a 4 point harness.
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Mike,
For what it’s worth I would definitely fit a proper race seat like a Sparco Rev or Evo as It would offer much better protection all round in the event of a shunt....
Cheers Richard
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

The latest seats are moulded to accommodate the Hans and allows the belts to be tighter

Although may look less like " in period"

Sparco and Tillet are good making sure you buy the narrow version