R380 gearbox bits

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
Philip Tisdall

R380 gearbox bits

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Can any one help or point me in the right direction. I need a "Gear Lever Cap" It holds the gear lever in on the Remote Gear Change Housing. I am trying everyone I can think of including, gearbox - Landrover and part search people but so far no joy. It is a stupid flimsy thing held in place by a equally thin tab. If you have a R380 look at the tab as they suddenly give up ( as I found to my cost twice)
Philip
Barry Sumner

Re: R380 gearbox bits

Post by Barry Sumner »

Philip
Having looked at your broken one at Silverstone, the design looks rubbish, and any replacement will undoubtedly break again, I would suggest that you either re-engineer the original or get a “new” design machined up from an alloy billet
Barry
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Thanks Barry,
I am beginning to come to that conclusion, but it sounds expensive. I still have a few feelers out. Do you happen to know what other vehicle the R380 with extended gear change went into.
Philip
Andrew Potter

Post by Andrew Potter »

Hello Philip,
Am intrigued- do you have a transfer box, too, for when the going gets tough?
Pop down to Northleach, through the traffic lights and first left into Midwinter Road. There you will find Bob Houghton Ferrari. The service manager is Russell Smith; both he and Bob Houghton are very friendly and may be able to help manufacture one. Should you be somewhat faint at the cost you can live your dreams with the machinery there.
Regards to you and yours,
Andrew P
Lorne Goldman

Post by Lorne Goldman »

Philip Tisdall wrote:Can any one help or point me in the right direction. I need a "Gear Lever Cap" It holds the gear lever in on the Remote Gear Change Housing. I am trying everyone I can think of including, gearbox - Landrover and part search people but so far no joy. It is a stupid flimsy thing held in place by a equally thin tab. If you have a R380 look at the tab as they suddenly give up ( as I found to my cost twice)
They are hard to find.

Some basics 1. The Morgan R380 is a 2-speed version used on later Morgan Plus 8s (1995-2004), later Morgan Plus 4s (1995-2000) and Sherpa Vans. Other versions of the R380 can be used..but they it require an extensive modification of input shaft and output flange and those parts are not easy to source. The last Morgan-type R380s (4 units) were sold by John Eales in 2006.

2. All Morgan LT77s or R380s use the Rover Sd1 (1976-1986) bellhousing and gear lever remote assembly. These remotes have different versions but are basically the same and all have the infamous gear lever cap (aka the "ball cup".) Combing Land Rover sources will not help much. The part number is UKC3159 and only Rimmer list it now...sadly they don't have it and can't find one. http://tinyurl.com/6yjxc83

Your best bet is to repair your old one. Actually, done decently, a repaired flange will be much stronger than the original. That will get also you happily back on the road until you run across one in a breakup yard willing to sell it to you. (Most suppliers will be loathe to sell you a key component off of a gearbox.)

Lorne
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Lorne,
Thank you for the help. Yes they are hard to find, as I am finding. I have had the old one welded so it should last some time. I think... I have managed to find a couple of new ones. They sound right but I will know when they arrive. I plan to have the joint on the flange welded properly.. then at least I will have a replacement
Philip
Lorne Goldman

Post by Lorne Goldman »

Philip Tisdall wrote:Lorne,
I have had the old one welded so it should last some time. I think... I have managed to find a couple of new ones. They sound right but I will know when they arrive. I plan to have the joint on the flange welded properly.. then at least I will have a replacement
That's exactly what I did. I carry the welded one as a spare...for the last 12 years.

L.