Garage Clearout - Mini Based Special - ***SOLD***

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Garage Clearout - Mini Based Special - ***SOLD***

Post by Andy Downes »

My clearout means my chassis for a Mini-based Special must also go.

It’s called a Status Minipower, dates from the 1970s and is sometimes known as a Status Symbol.

ImageImage

Around 20 were produced (all powder coated in ‘orrible orange) designed and built by two senior Lotus Engineers – Brian Luff and Bob Cross. It was their take on what the Lotus 7 should have been and features a fully triangulated spaceframe chassis, a Mini engine/transmission in the back, fully independent suspension with inboard dampers, and a fibreglass body. When tested in period it was considered one of the best handling cars around (its Lotus heritage showing through) underpinning their basic idea that it would be competitive in Club Racing and suitable to be driven home afterwards. Luff went on to do many things including the Clan Crusader and work on the Gilbern Invader, because like many small start-ups in the 70s Status never made any real money.

I have included pictures of my rolling chassis and also an example of a finished car, however many people styled their own bodywork – this would make an excellent base for a very quick Sprint/Hillclimb ‘special’ and can be fitted with any transverse ‘A series’ engine.

I have only the chassis, no bodywork, and a very rough non-running engine, but I have lots more information for anybody who is interested – make me an offer ! send a Personal Message (PM) via this site.

Also, have a look at this link for Status Minipower and many more Mini derivatives (you’ll be surprised) the site is run by Jeroen Booij a friend of Dutch Morgan fanatic Machiel Kalf.

http://maximummini.blogspot.co.uk/searc ... 0Minipower

Have Fun 8-)

Andy
Last edited by Andy Downes on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Skipper'
Phill Thomas

Re: Garage Clearout - Mini Based Special

Post by Phill Thomas »

Andy

projects like this seem to sell well on e-bay.

Phill
Andy Downes

Re: Garage Clearout - Mini Based Special

Post by Andy Downes »

Thanks Phill, it's also now on Ebay - I posted here to try and get the widest exposure as it has to go !

Thinking about it I bought it on Ebay some 10 years ago, from an older chap who turned out to be a Morgan 3-wheeler guy - said he raced with the likes of Gary Caroline, a (young) Bill Tuer etc. etc back in the day 8-)

Andy
'Skipper'
Andy Downes

Re: Garage Clearout - Mini Based Special - ***SOLD***

Post by Andy Downes »

I'm happy to say that my Minipower Special has been SOLD.

Have Fun 8-)

Andy
'Skipper'