1979 Plus 8 class 2 race car

Private cars or parts for sale or wanted

Moderator: Andy Downes

Forum rules
If your item sells or is withdrawn, please post a message to that effect.
peter rafter

1979 Plus 8 class 2 race car

Post by peter rafter »

If you scratch an itch, the reaction may not be as intended. What might have been? What has been. For some considerable time without doubt the most admired and the best sounding car on the grid has been the pretty red no 47.
Fashioned by Master Gateson and campaigned over many seasons by a distinguished cadre of drivers. She still has the original aluminium wings and Morgan Motor Challenge gold insignia.
However, now is the time to find a new owner and I shall seek pastures new. Hopefully in Historics although my children suggest something suitable for the London to Brighton run which would more aptly reflect my racing capability. Know your limitations or others will mercilessly point them out. She seemed to go faster in the right hands, notably with the previous owners and also when I shared in the relay races and driven by Tony Rivers and Richard Thorne.
Newly polished and buffed she looks resplendent on the Richard Thorne website.
Details:
1979 Morgan +8 3.9 V8 Race car. Fully prepared for competing in Class 2 of the Morgan Challenge race series but also potentially eligible for other series such as CSCC Future Classics. This car is very well known in Morgan circles having previously won the championship outright, previous owners include Philip Hollins, Phiip Goddard, Richard Plant and Roger Whiteside. Recent works include a rear axle rebuild with new LSD, 4 new dampers and in 2022 a full engine re-fresh by John Eales. The Tillet race seat, belts and extinguisher are all in date for the 2023 season. These +8s have a glorious sounding Rover V8 giving 260BHP, with Tremec 5 speed gearbox, four wheel disc brakes vented at the front, and 7” alloys wearing 225 section Yokohamas with a kerb weight of only 825KGs! Great fun to drive and very reliable. £31,950
Ps
I never found the transplant surgeon to give me the right hands.
peter
Mark Shears

Re: 1979 Plus 8 class 2 race car

Post by Mark Shears »

I know the feeling Peter...

Philip and I have also reluctantly decided to sell our pretty little red historic Plus 4 Supersports rep.

It too has now arrived with Richard Thorne and he and I only discussed the depressing issue of price yesterday afternoon...!

All the best and I suspect that you like us will still be racing Morgans next season...!

Cheers,

Mark