OCO 738

Looking for a Morgan you used to own or your family owned - Start a new Topic here with details and perhaps someone can help. Andy has access to the Morgan Historic Register or a current owner may come forward.

Moderator: Andy Downes

Alan House
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: KUT 808 - Looking for my +4 DHC

Post by Alan House »

Hi All
I would be interested in any info on my +4 OCO 738.
Best wishes
Alan
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Alan,

Your 1958 +4, OCO 738, is registered on DVLA and is taxed to October 2020.

Eddie.
Alan House

Post by Alan House »

Hi Eddie
Sorry that I didn't make it clear that I am the current owner and I'm looking for anyone who can fill in the many gaps in the history of the car.
Best wishes
Alan
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Re: OCO 738

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi Alan, OCO registered in Plymouth. I remember seeing your car in bits with Mark Shears in the Cotswolds a few years ago as an unfinished project. When we saw it as a rolling chassis It had a very interesting body (from another car) which was offered up to the chassis which I will tell you about when I see you. I assume That this body is now on OCO?
I like this new section of BHP and hope it’s a success.

Cheers Richard
Alan House

Post by Alan House »

Thanks for your input Richard. I was under the impression that the body tub was from the original car so I will be very interested in your observations. The registration emanates from the Birmingham area I believe and the 1st owner was if I remember correctly was a George Kennedy who regularly entered the car in trials. I've not got my Morgan books to hand as they are still in storage since my move a year ago! but I've read references to the early life of the car in the literature.
I've entered the Fiscar and Techniqus races at Silverstone 22nd August so hopefully see you there. My sentiments entirely re brakehorsepower.com often visiting the site 2 or 3 times a day!
Best wishes to you Richard and all the other contributors,
Alan
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Alan,
Been a very wet morning here in Lancashire today so took to reading "The Heritage Years 1954 - 1960. By coincidence I saw a picture of OCO 738, taken during the MCC Exeter Trial, 8 January 1960. It was part of a 3 car team called "The Union Jacks" separate car colours being red, white and blue !!
The driver was a George Edwards, apparently a West Country civil engineer.
There is a further reference to him entering the MCC Derbyshire Trial in October 1959 in OCO 738, in which he won a First Class Award.
Enters the Exeter Trial in January 1962 in the same car but by October is driving a car registered PUY 329.
All interesting stuff.
Eddie.
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Well spotted Eddie, interesting to note in “The Heritage years” that the the car was red in in 1960.

Alan, I beg to differ but CO was definitely an original Plymouth number and not a Birmingham mark. Look forward to seeing you at BDC we will be in the same race. Sorry I missed you at HSCC Brands Hatch GP meeting but felt it was still a bit early for me after the lockdown but gather it was a great meeting. Are you coming the the HSCC meeting at Oulton Park at the end of August? There will be a few Morgan’s out in the Historic Road Sports race.
Cheers Richard
Alan House

Post by Alan House »

Hi Richard
Of course you are right that 'Coco' was 1st registered in the Plymouth area, I was confusing her with my car in the '60s' AOA 818.
And my memory failed me also Eddie confusing Kennedy for Edwards. I've a copy of the book but following my recent house move I'm not sure which box my Morgan book collection is in!
Interestingly I've a file of documents from the '70s compiled by then owner Colin Lees. Photos from 1977 show the car as a 4 seater painted Red with black wings and in a state of strip down/rebuild. After an extensive rebuild 'Coco' was resprayed a Mid blue colour.
Unfortunately the car was loaned to the BBC for an episode of Miss Marple and substantially damaged by a stunt driver simulating a crash in the story! After many weeks of negotiation the BBC parted with £6000 in compensation and acquired the car.
Best wishes
Alan
larry emrick

Post by larry emrick »

There is an excellent colour photo (pale blue) of OCO 738 from the Miss Marple movie at https://www.imcdb.org/v826056.html or google Miss Marple Morgan

Larry
Alan House

Post by Alan House »

Thanks for that Larry. In addition to the IMCDB photo, I have a dvd of the episode; just a bit part for COCO! She was a 4 seater at that time but was rebuilt as a 2. Much faster now with a full race steel engine and twin 45 DCOE's and I get great pleasure now on the track!
Best wishes
Alan