1972 4/4 4-seater TUP826K

Looking for a Morgan you used to own or your family owned - Start a new Topic here with details and perhaps someone can help. Andy has access to the Morgan Historic Register or a current owner may come forward.

Moderator: Andy Downes

Shane Howe
Anti spam question: MSA

1972 4/4 4-seater TUP826K

Post by Shane Howe »

Hello All

I a restoring this 1972 4-seater Morgan
TUP826K.jpg
TUP826K.jpg (11.75 KiB) Viewed 4534 times

The car is currently very much in parts with some repair work about to begin on the body. Soon I will upload some images of the restoration in case anyone who knows this car from the past is interested.

I would be very interested to learn more about the history of the car which has 'cropped up' here and there on the brakehorsepower.net site so please get in touch if you have knowledge of any of this car's background.

Kind Regards
Shane Howe
Andy Downes

Re: 1972 4/4 4-seater TUP826K

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Shane, you obviously got logged in OK !

I'll update my Birkett 6-hour Relay topic here which I think you referenced.

I've already Emailed this to you but I'll copy it here as others may be interested :-

"Sounds like it will once again be a great car when you’re done
Regarding TUP’s history; (previous owner) Terry Garland was a popular and active member of the ‘racing crew’ in the late 1970s/early 1980s mainly with Mary Lindsay’s East Anglian Centre – and anybody who competes in a 4-seater is alright with me ! Mary reminds me Terry (and TUP) were members of my victorious Birkett 6-hour Relay team in 1978 at Donington - Anglemog Saxons. I’m embarrassed to admit I had forgotten #-o
He was keen and did a fair few races so there will be some more details around with people.

When we (Nicola and I) were looking to buy our first Morgan in 1980/81, TUP was one of the cars we looked at as Terry was thinking of selling, in the end we bought our 1969 4/4/ 4-seater."

Mary has some video footage of the Donington race which I'll send you via Email.

Good Luck screwing it all back together.

Andy
'Skipper'
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

Not specific to your vehicle but my Grandad was working in the body shop from 66 to 75 so will have built some of your frame :)
Shane Howe

Post by Shane Howe »

Andy and Phil
thank you for your posts.

@ Andy - I very much look forward to seeing the Donington video
@ Phil - The woodwork of your grandfather has held up well with the exception of a sill board !

Please see first images of TUP restoration project - many more to come
Rest01.jpg
Rest01.jpg (115.72 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Rest3.jpg
Rest3.jpg (76.13 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Rest4.jpg
Rest4.jpg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

That's good to hear. I imagine most was done before lunch. He was partial to a lunchtime tipple or three :)
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

Good luck with the rebuild. I also have a 72 4/4 4 seater :)

Fairly standard tune though, just bolt on goodies - Librands manifold, stainless side exit exhaust ( home made), large K&N, Magnecor leads, iridium plugs and an electric fan conversion.

Just re built the back end with 4 leaf springs, adjustable Armstrongs, and a panhard for a much improved ride. Also on 5.5 steel rims with 205 rear and 195 front.
Shane Howe

Post by Shane Howe »

Good evening Phil
I am interested to hear more about your back end rebuild - after reading an article about how much better the 4 leaf springs are I asked for advice about using 4 leaf springs instead of the standard 7 leaf spring which give a very hard ride .

I was advised against it with words to the effect that it would be hard to align the axle and so I have ordered 7 leaf springs but I am sure its not too late to change the order.

Please can you share your knowledge of changing from 7 to 4 leaf rear leaf springs?

Kind Regards
Shane Howe
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

Peter.Ballard of SSL recommended the change to 4 leaf.

The physical swap was pretty straight forward but it did move the axle back about 20mm. This actually centralised the wheel in the wheel arch which from an aesthetic perspective was a good result.

It did however mean I had to move the fuel tank back a corresponding amount (very easy - 4 new holes in the wooden support) and I had to move the Armstrong levers back too. Again, no great issue, just two new holes each side.

Also made a pair of bump stops using some simple brackets and progressive bump stops from an Alfa 103. It all sounds a little complicated, but was pretty easy and very pleased overall with the results. A massive reduction in back end crashing and clunking. Also used SSL adjustable valves in the Armstrongs - these are very good and comparable to a telescopic conversion.

Not sure what alignment issues there would be? Unless they are referring to moving the axle back? It moved back equally both sides.

I have a few photos I took which I can share with you if needed? On holiday at the moment in Cornwall but home at the weekend.
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Shane Howe wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:30 pm Please can you share your knowledge of changing from 7 to 4 leaf rear leaf springs?
Hello Phil, I'd be interested in that too - we have a 1969 4/4 4-seater (7-leaf springs).
Thanks
Andy
'Skipper'
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

If you both PM me an email address I can bang some photos over at the weekend. Happy to answer any questions, apart from the email advice from Peter, it was a solo DIY job on the front drive. Did it over a weekend.
Shane Howe

Post by Shane Howe »

Phil
Thank you for your interesting post - I almost wasted a golden opportunity !

I have a new chassis that is yet to have holes drilled for the Armstrong shock absorber mounting points, so its not an issue for me to drill the two holes each side a further 20mm to the rear of the car, and with the petrol tank being out of the car too, it would be a wasted opportunity if I did not follow in your footsteps and convert to 4 leaf rear springs.

I had ordered new 7 leaf springs but have now changed the order.

I was already considering a panhard rod of the type that fits on by replacing the U-bolt plate under the leaf spring. The bump stops you have used are of particular interest as they vary from standard.

I will get in touch with SSL to arrange to get adjustable valves for the Armstrong shock absorbers.

I am very grateful for your posting Phil

Kind Regards
Shane
Phil Coldicott

Post by Phil Coldicott »

I've used the panhard rod that replaces the bottom U Bolt bracket - I thought it a better solution than the one that attached to the spring.

Although I was running on 47 year old 7 leafers, the ride has been transformed by the new springs and valves. It is 'almost' like a modern car suspension. The new springs have also lifted the rear by about 30mm (the old ones were sagging badly) so am also no longer grinding the rear number plate on humps and bumps!

Will email the photos at the weekend. I'll see if I can attach some here too.