15" x 4.5" Wire Wheels with Dunlop L section race tyres

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

simon king

15" x 4.5" Wire Wheels with Dunlop L section race tyres

Post by simon king »

Hi All,
I'm trying to see if I can get an entry in the 'Pre-'63 GT' event at this years Silverstone Classic (24-26th July) but I would need to run on wheels as originally homologated on the Super Sports. Does anyone have a set, or know of someone who has a set, who might be willing to let me beg/borrow said wheels/tyres from them for the weekend?

Cheers,

Simon
Mark Shears

Re: 15" x 4.5" Wire Wheels with Dunlop L section race tyres

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Simon,

I have a set of standard 5'' wire wheels which I think are acceptable (you could check with Jim Lowry.)

You would then have to get yourself a set of Dunlops!

Talking of Jim - are you coming to his Le Mans weekend with us the first weekend in July?

Cheers

Mark
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Mark,

I think you're right as I have an entry in for this 'Pre-'63 GT' event and was told 5", 60 spoke wheels would be acceptable. Don't currently have any of these myself yet either!

RU now off on it's summer vacation in the back of Keith & Billy's van on its way to what looks like being a very wet Monza & then barring any mishaps on to a hopefully sunny Le Mans [-o<

Cheers,
John Emberson
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

We had a good tussle didn't we in the Tucker Trophy!

I'm sure my 5'' wires are 72 spoke. This was standard fitment on Supersports and subsequent sporting Mogs. I think only the 4.5'' wires were 60 spoke and fitted to the more pedestrian Morgans.

Have fun ''sur le continent''!

Cheers

Mark
simon king

Post by simon king »

Hi Mark/John,

I have 5" (72 spoke) wheels currently on FOJ. Told yesterday by Carol Spagg that they have to be 4.5" spoked wheels (no mention of spoke numbers though). On the homologation papers (No.64) it is indeed 4.5" rims. 5.5" being homologated from Aug '65. No mention of 5" rims anywhere I can see.

I guess rules are rules but they aren't half a nuisance some times. Rather than racing perhaps I'll just start collecting wheel/tyre combinations. 15" x 4.5" on Dunlops for one type of race, 15" x 5" on Avons for HSCC (perhaps some mini-lites with yoko's too for the hell of it) and then maybe some 15" x 5.5" with Dunlops again for other Appendix K type events.

Having said all that, it's good to see you'll be flying the flag John - good luck! You might want to check the wheel situation though?

Mark, maybe I'll give this one up as a bad job and try again to float the idea of a trip to France!! I'll let you know.

Regards,

Simon
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Simon,

That's a much better idea!

I can't understand the requirement for 4.5'' wheels. Come with us instead to Le Mans and leave your existing wheel/tyre combination on!

Just to let you know Philip,Richard and myself booked earlier this week on the Portsmouth - Caen crossing leaving at 08.00 on Thursday July 2nd and returning at 08.00 on Monday 6th June.

Jim Lowry still has places on the grid as he emailed me this morning but I think you should let him know PDQ.

Bon Sante!

Mark
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by John Clarke »

I would have thought a pre 63 race should allow Period F cars to run (62-65) and therefore 5.5" x 15" wheels. But ultimately, it is the organiser's party and they can pick and chose the rules. Personally, I cannot think of any +4s currently running with 4.5 inch rims and 60 spoke wheels...Hands up you really narrow types!!!

Sorry, I don't have a set of dunlops to lend.

On a wider tack, it would be much better if all these 'historic race series' ran on one tyre ie Dunlop Ls. It would then reduce costs for us all. I recently bought a set of Avons for the 2 x TT's and any HSCC race + the odd GTS race - but it precludes me from all FIA events. HSCC allowing Yoko's is a real odd ball and having raced there last season, can honestly say that it makes the historic cars look like hot rods.
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

I couldn't agree with you more John about running on one tyre and that it should be Ls. I realise that I am somewhat of a recently reformed character on this having run Yokos in HRS for six years but Ls are so much more fun (even if they do slow the car down by 3-4 seconds on a typical lap). I am now at the point where I am thinking only about entering races where all cars are on Ls (so not HSCC closed wheel at Spa in September for example) because a disparity of tyres in a race (Ls; Yokos; Avons; modern Dunlops etc) can produce such a wide range of lap times for "similar" cars that it becomes a bit of a nonsense.

I missed the Tucker Trophy and will also be away for the BDC meeting but I wonder if the potential disparity between cars just due to tyres should be addressed ?

Mark
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Mark,

We missed you at Brands for the Tucker Trophy and I am very sorry to hear you are not going to be at BDC Silverstone for the TT. And I also hear you can't make Jim Lowrys Le Mans weekend. What a shame.

All of our Plus Fours are eligible for most of the 'better quality' races and they seem to mostly specify Dunlop L's. There is really only the HSCC which gives any other options - and I have to say I am very happy to run on my Avons!

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers

Mark
simon king

Post by simon king »

Ok, my requirement for wheels is over I have canned the Pre '63 GT idea, although if anyone does have any, please let me know - if only for future reference.

In relation to tyres etc, in the HSCC's Historic Road Sports defence they would of course argue that it is a 'Roadsports' championship, and given that cars can be driven to the races the tyres have to be road legal. Dunlops are not (I believe). Having said that, I, like John, don't think the yoko's used in HRS are really 'period' either, where at least the Avon's are a better compromise. It would be interesting if everyone in HRS was running on Avons!

Regards,

Simon