Le Mans Legend 11-13 June 2009

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Le Mans Legend 11-13 June 2009

Post by John Clarke »

The Le Mans Legend support race to the 24 hours regs are now out.

This year the grid is for 1949-1965 FIA cars of a type that raced at Le Mans. That means all "proper" +4s are eligible.

The race will take place on Saturday at 9.30am from a rolling start. The race is for two drivers with the race lasting 45 minutes.

Entry costs are 2,950 pounds.

More information and entry forms from Duncan Wilshire at http://www.motorracinglegends.com/index ... ns+Legends

Might be money better spent than on pension funds!!!
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Re: Le Mans Legend 11-13 June 2009

Post by Leigh Sebba »

And I am STILL free for a co - drivers slot !!
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

me too :mrgreen:
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

a 'proper' +4 and a £3k entry fee. That's me out of the running, on both counts!
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Posted on Mogtalk – and I thought Brian was just going down to enjoy the race

Sent: 13 June 2009 18:44
To: mogtalk2@v2.listbox.com; mogtalk2
Subject: Re: [mogtalk2] Fwd: URGENT HELP REQUIRED IN LE MANS
Minor miracles are just routine as far as Morgan racers are concerned.
We saw John start the Legends race this morning, and we saw him finish!
We heard that Tracy and/or Brian located the required parts, rushed them down to Sarthe wher Brian started working at 23h00 last night, and completed the job at 03h30. Although perfectly servicable the engine wasn't quite as powerful as before the problems, so altghough John performed very well - he wasn't able to challenge Keith up near the front of their class.
The Classic British Welcome at Saint-Saturnin yesterday was wonderful. Probably around 100 Morgans there, plus seven or eight hundred other makes. The atmosphere was very much like Le mans Classic.
And the racing is not withou incident - at the moment Peugeot, Audi, Peugeot, Audi, Aston Martin & Aston Martin (the last two driving about thee seconds apart)
Cheers
Quentin

Date: 11 June 2009 22:55:28 BST
To: <webmaster@mscc.uk.com>
Subject: RE: URGENT HELP REQUIRED IN LE MANS

Dear MogTalk Team,

I hope you don't mind me getting in contact with you but as you may know there are two Morgans racing at Le Mans in the support race this weekend.

Unfortunately one of the Plus 4s (John Emberson's) engine has expired. I know its a long shot but thought it worth asking you if you would have any members near the Le Mans area who would be able to help.

The Team would be very grateful if anyone would loan them either a cylinder head and gasket or a TR engine. The race is on Saturday morning.

Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Tracy Gateson
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Yes, Techniques are amazing!! Although starting to make a bit of a habit of this overnight engine rebuilding I feel……………………… =D>

Everyone was really glum on Thurs eve when RU dropped a valve seating & destroyed the valve but fortunately it didn’t completely wreck the piston. However, Chris Conoley said "game over so, pack up & go for beer". Then hope began to rise as we thought we could get some parts from the UK and have a go at a rebuild (absolutely amazing that Brian & James worked overnight & both Tracy & Catherine did 350 mile round trips each to deliver the parts – they met just North of Rouen). Then elation when we got text at 3:30am from Brian saying RU was running again. Only spoilt slightly by the fact that I was feeling really duff on Fri night & Sat as I must have had slight food poisoning (I spent Fri night having hot & cold flushes & Catherine said I was groaning in a funny way when she got back to our accommodation)! All worthwhile for the once in a lifetime experience of driving next to Stirling Moss & when I spoke to him afterwards finding that he's a really decent normal bloke with no airs & graces!

So, never give up on a Morgan & the “anything is possible” approach from Techiques! Keith Ahlers took home a nice trophy for 3rd in class & it was an epic drive from him as his clutch went on the first lap. Ironically Chris Conoley was out himself on the first lap with engine failure.

Proves once again that the Morgan community is fantastic as we had such support from everyone down there. Hopefully you all saw the TV coverage on UK Eurosport?

Brian probably still asleep in some field in La Sarthe…………… :lol:
John Emberson
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

A superb display of support and teamwork, just helping to emphasise what an amazing club we are members of. Thumbs up to Techniques.
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823