MGCC Silverstone

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

MGCC Silverstone

Post by Bob Bull »

Anybody competing or spectating next weekend at the MG LIve meeting?
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Re: MGCC Silverstone

Post by Andy Green »

Bob

There is a Morgan Challenge round on Sunday and some Morgans will be in the Thoroughbred race on sat

Details of the entry list etc are on the MG Cub website under racing then Meetings then Silverstone

There are also some interesting non Morgans in the Enduro races including my rebuilt Dolomite sprint and a Maxda driven by a famous Morgan pilote and member of the tech comm
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Thanks Andy,
Last night (Friday) I interviewed Julian White of the MGCC, live on Three Counties Radio, and he mentioned the Morgans, however, the forum seems to have become comatose lately and I sought to stimulate interest and discussion.
I shall certainly look out for the 'Stig' you mention and also the interesting motors that will abound.

Along with the Bentleys and Aston Martins this is one of the better reasons to go to Silverstone on a weekend, it might lack the glamour (and hospitality) of the Grand Prix, but one does meet real people.

See you there?

Bob
Regards
Martin Lewis

Post by Martin Lewis »

Having "issues" getting entries correct, I'm completely missing from the entry list :( :(
1964 FIA MG B Roadster
Thoroughbred Race Number 14 Class A
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

And I'll get to meet Bob driving a morgan!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

TonyLees wrote:And I'll get to meet Bob driving a morgan!
Tony,
I look forward to it. Remember, keep smiling, you may get your picture took!

Bob
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

What a lot of MG's! You could have walked on MG's across the whole site and never had to put your foot on the ground, a very enthusiastic bunch, that's for sure.
Despite the foregoing I must admit that I spent most of my time trackside or swanning around the Morgan section of the paddock, meeting and greeting and pressing the flesh (as they say).
First duty was to get Jonathon Baines signed on as Media, so if he caught you doing a 'Gilhooley' you can blame me. Next apparition was Chris Acklam arriving by my side on a rickety bicycle, and proudly displaying those nifty pins so frequently mistaken for Tony Lees' manly shins.
A most pleasant suprise was the sudden and totally unexpected arrival of ex-patriate, Tim Hill, holidaying in the UK for a couple of weeks, it seems that he had been officiating at the Festival of Speed, and was due to fly back to NZ Friday afternoon. I am sure that Lord March was most impressed by his dedication.
Tim introduced me to another, previously faceless name, Peter Rafter. (nice to meet your Peter) Peter was clearly very impressed to have met Bob Bull, and offerd me endless hospitality (How well he knows me), but it all turned out to belong to Richard Thorne! It is easy to be generous when someone else is paying I suppose.
Sue Tidsall, subject of my Caption Competition, was suprisingly friendly considering how I had held her up to potential ridicule, but she did force feed me homemade flapjacks without benefit of a cup of tea, which may have been her way of repaying the offence.
Rather unfortunately Kate O-G introduced me to one, Jack Bellinger! Jack turned out to be pretty decent bloke, and we shared many happy memories of our pasts, as it turned out we were both born in Battersea and both knew Barnet well. Sadly it will be difficult to continue to trade insults with the same virulence
having become 'mates', still we did share a few thoughts on Mary, so all may not be lost.
On Sunday Chris A introduced me to his daughters, both very attractive and charming, so one must assume they take after their mother. (Hi girls)

In in the interests of justice I should also record that MARK SHEARS, has paid his debt to me, albeit with one of the tattiest fivers I have ever seen, but he was geuinely grateful for the Jim Clark DVD, which he thinks is excellent. While not racing himself, he proudly and prominently wore a 'Le Mans' pass around his neck!! Poseur.

John Emberson showed no remorse at having ruined my 'Mystery Driver' puzzle, while his Team Manager quite frankly, traduced my good name by suggesting that much of my imput to the forum was scurrilous (in so many words). Nice to see you both again.

The undoubted highlight of the weekend was being treated to a cup of tea and a bacon buttie by Brian Gateson with whom I had a long discussion on the current state of Formula 1, Max Mosely, Williams F1 Team and the threatened breakaway series. I was also pleased to hear that the Techniques Trophy is recieving a good entry and that Chris Lawrence will be presenting the prizes, it should be a great event again.

Andrew Potter was his usual jovial self and eagerly pointed out the Beatrice connection as witnessed by the stickers on his Morgan's front wings, and also his lovely wife Heather. Why does he go chasing nubiles across hostile terrain with such a spouse waiting at home?

Other faces added to names included Kelvin Laidlaw who arrives in what he drives, which is what everyone did when I was a lad, good on yer Kelvin, and David Phillips, very nice to meet you both.

With regard to the 'Mystery Driver' picture I was rather suprised how many people knew it was Tony Lees and not Chris Aclam standing next to Phillip by the colour of the clogs he wore, clearly Morgan drivers have an eye for detail. Well done on your win by the way Tony!

I will also honour my pledge to the nameless driver whose grass mowing expoits I recorded on camera, and will not post the result on any site. You see? I do have a decent side to me after all.

Finally many thanks to you all for welcoming a mere media type into your community, and I look forward to meeting up again in August.

Bob.

Any offence was purely intentional.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

still we did share a few thoughts on Mary
Oh no! :shock:
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Fear not, Mary, we were perfict genlmun.

Plenty of pictures from the meeting on the usual site for anyone interested, Morgan People and MGCC albums.
Regards
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

Dear Bob

It was both a pleasure and an honour to meet you at Silverstone on Sunday. The other famous person that I have met at Silverstone was one Stirling Moss. Our meeting at the weekend was so redolent of this previous experience. Have you, by any chance, also driven the Mille Miglia in a 300SLR?

Regards

Kelvin
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Dearest Kelvin,
To be bracketed with one of the three greatest racing drivers of all time, in any context, is a truly great compliment, and one I shall treasure as long as I live. Thank you so much.
As to the Mille Miglia, I must admit that Neubauer never offered me the drive but, as Mike Hawthorn, I was no fan of the 'Hun Cars' so may well have turned him down had the offer come.

I have spoken with Stirling on a number of occasions over the years, and when I said that of all of his drives, his win in a 1500 cc OSCA at Sebring in 1954 was to me the most remarkable, he expressed suprise that anyone had heard of it! Such a modest man.

Look forward to seeing you at the BDC, I trust?

Bob
Regards