Silverstone Classic 24-26th July

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Silverstone Classic 24-26th July

Post by John Clarke »

The next exciting event for Mogs will be the Silverstone Classic, on it is rumoured, the historic GP circuit.

I have been notified that Adrian and I will both have our 4-4's out in the pre war BRDC 500 1 hour race. Keith will be there - but for the life of me I can't remember whether its in TOK or the SLR (or both) - he did say.

Anyone else have entries confirmed?

It should be a cracking weekend with Lewis's girlfriend taking to the stage on Friday night and an old favourite, Santana appearing on Saturday. The website is here for those wanting to get the full picture

http://www.silverstoneclassic.com/

it gives the full timetable amongst other stuff.
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Re: Silverstone Classic 24-26th July

Post by John Emberson »

John,

I'll be there in the Pre '63 GT race in RU with Bill Wykeham. Sounds fun that there'll be a "public scrutineering" for all the cars in this race to check for historical authenticity. I know that Simon will be there too in his SLR in the Masters race.

Cheers,
John Emberson
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Hi John,

I will be there with Chris Acklam in BVJ in the Masters gentlemen drivers race.

Richard.
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

The HSCC have put up a list of entrants on their News page.
Chris
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Chris - a bumper 4 cylinder entry.

Mogs and Mog drivers I spotted were:

BRDC 500

Clarke/Horsman Morgan 4-4LM
Van der Kroft Morgan 4-4TT

Woodcote Trophy

Mark Hoble TR2

Gentleman Drivers

Ahlers/Bellinger Morgan +4
Orebi Gann Morgan +4 SLR
Kremer/Kremer Morgan +4
Paul / Wells Morgan +4
Plant/Acklam Morgan +4

BRDC Historic

Horsman/Nellerman Lotus XVII

Pre 63 GT

Pearcy/Blakeney Edwards Morgan +4
Emberson/Wyckham Morgan +4
Paul/Wells Morgan +4

There maybe other Mog racers but I'll leave that to others to spot
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John and Chris,

It certainly looks a fantastic entry and the quality of the competing cars is mouthwatering! As you say there are several other Morgan drivers also racing in non Morgans. For Example:

Chris Phillips and Rick Bourne in an AllardJ2X.
Paul Conway and Ed Mercer in their AC ACE.
Oliver and Graham Bryant in their Cobra.
James Patterson and Rick in the Lotus 11.
Suzanne Sears sharing a rare Gilbern 1800 GT.
Adrian V D Kroft is also out in his Cooper and another father and son team of dad Chris and son Oliver Phillips in their rare Lola MK1.

Any more? There will also be the opportunity to spot the famous racing musician!

See you there!

Cheers

Mark
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Racing musician - give us a clue - unless Carlos Santana has a race license could it be Nick Mason, Mark Knopfler, Chris Rea, Jay Kay, Andrew Ridgley, Chris Barber, or that boy band chap who did GT racing against Keith's aero.

Or have I overlooked the musical skills of one of the Mog drivers ?
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

A great weekend of Morgan racing - here is what I remember

Saturday

Peter H and I qualified on the back row (ie last!!!) for the BRDC 500 in the Series 1 as it decided to go onto 3 cylinders for qualifying (broken plug). Adrian and Whizzo had no such problems and were way up the field of 48 cars. The hour race was fantastic for Peter and I climbing up through the field to 23rd and 1st in Class. We were gifted the class win by Adrian and Whizzo as they had to retire around lap 13 when the Mog resorted to 3 wheeler motoring.

The next race I saw was the first leg of the Gentleman drivers. Billy (TOK) and Dion (XRX) had the most awesome race which had the huge crowd and the commentators holding their breath. After taking a short lead, Dion reeled in Billy then managed to swop places. I thought Dion had nicked it only for Billy to get back past on the last lap out of sight. Malcolm Paul (+4) had a steady run and then further back, Simon (SLR) and Richard (+4) ran close together with Richard finally snatching it after Simon had spun somewhere out of sight. Simon had the back end of the SLR out, drifting nicely, so he's obviously getting to grips with these old racers and skinny tyres.

Saturday night, Keith was out in the King Cobra, tearing round the circuit in pursuit of Lola T70s and what have you. All very impressive but then there was Santana - or Sultana as Jonno called them.

Sunday

Recovering from 30 minute guitar solo's and big percussion numbers (remember the '70s anyone?) - up early to see Peter H get another class win in the Lotus 17 after James P (Lotus XI)had retired after spinning on his own coolant. Peter's win was a might lucky (the 2nd in 2 days!!) as a miss timed pit stop during a safety car period required him to come in again putting him behind the leading Lotus XI. With the XI taking the chequered flag, Peter was relieved to find that it received a post race penalty for some misdemeanour, giving Peter the Class win.

The pre '63 GT race was full of +4s. Dion (XRX) shot off and soon was down into the low 2:24's. A hard charging Bill Wyckham was not far behind (ex Tucker +4) followed by a rapid Colin Pearcy (light blue +4). The Malcolm Paul +4 was the last +4 on the road but again going very well. The top 3 were soon down into the the low 2:23's if not 2:22's. Fantastic.

After the driver changes - it all changed around. Gabriel (XRX) was doing a sterling job for a septuegenarium but was soon caught by John E (Tucker +4) and Blakeney Edwards (light blue +4). Meanwhile, flames were coming out of the louvres of the Malcolm Paul +4 - showing great piece of mind, the driver (not sure whether it was Malcolm or Rob), calming drove the flaming Mog to the marshalls post at Woodcote, where the falmes were quickly extinguished. Meanwhile, Blakeney Edwards was screaming around getting the +4 into the 1:21's - wow. This easily took him to the front of the +4s leaving John E and Gabriel trailing in his wake. All the +4s were now in the top 10. And that's where it finished I believe.

I couldn't stay for the 2nd leg of the Gentleman drivers but I understand it remained in the same order as Saturday save for Rick/Simon (SLR) getting ahead of Chris/Richard in the +4. If I've got this wrong, I'm sure someone will put me right.

So a great weekend for most, with all of the Mogs punching way above their weight and putting more powerful (and more expensive) exotics to shame. Brilliant.

PS If you are wondering how fast is a Series 1, Peter managed a 2:50 whilst Whizzo did a 2:47 - not too shoddy from 1098cc!!
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Great report John - and a great weekend. We were so lucky with the weather, bright but breezy as you know on Saturday but overcast most of the day on Sunday but at least the rain held off until after the Gentleman Drivers race which had finished by 5 o'clock.

Here's to the next big 4 cylinder event at BDC Silverstone for the TT Trophy on Saturday 8th August.

Cheers

Mark