Goodwood Festival of Speed 4/5 July

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Goodwood Festival of Speed 4/5 July

Post by John Clarke »

Whilst some were racing at Le Mans, Keith and I had received invitations to run up the hill at Goodwood. Keith was sharing TOK with Chris Lawrence whilst yours truely was peddaling the 4-4LM.

I'm still pinching myself that it actually happened - as a motorsport thrill, its a non event, but for the ultimate pose and to be a minor (extremely minor) celebrity for a day it can't be beaten.

Four Morgans were represented, Gary Carolines extremely potent 3 wheeler, moi, Keith's TOK and Jacques Lafitte's Aero GT car that won at Silverstone. We each had two runs up the hill on 3 consecutive days. Cars could either have chosen to do a demonstration run, or to be timed and aim for FTD. Gary and I were doing timed runs, the other two Mogs demonstration runs.

As for the competition? Morgans vs Jaguar XJR8/9 (LM), March Cosworth 761, Ferrari 312P, Benetton-Ford B192, Porsche 917k, Ferrari 250 GTO.....you get the picture. Well, I am proud to say, that I hauled the Mog from last place on the Friday, up to..........3rd from last on the final day out of 42 runners. Gary beat me coming 30th and putting the 3 wheeler ahead of two Porsche 917ks and a Matra Cosworth MS5!! I beat a badly driven Mitsubishi Evo IX and a National 40 Indianapolis - 7.4 litres but 1910!!! But heh, I was the smallest car on the hill and lets be honest, Justin Law, Anthony Reid, Jochan Mass, Desire Wilson and Richard Attword have the edge on driver ability!!!

As for the times; Justin Law Jaguar XJR8/9 44.4 secs, Gary 68.91 secs and moi, 88.83secs.

Retiring to the drivers enclosure, who cared that I was in a car built from 2k's worth of bits. There we were rubbing shoulders with Button, Hamilton, Webber, Bell, Hill, Surtees, Moss......I could go on but this is getting boring.

Happy days

john
simon king

Re: Goodwood Festival of Speed 4/5 July

Post by simon king »

Hi John,

great to hear you had such a great weekend. Just disappointed now that I was unable to get down to Goodwood to see the action.

Cheers,

Simon
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

John,
And I thought I was the swanking poser on this site! You have put me in my place alright, but then I have interviewed John Clarke!!!!!
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

John got me ticket for the Friday and what he omitted to mention were that the Mogs were prominently on display - with Charles Morgan in the Aero SS in the 'supercar class'. A line up of Mogs through the ages outside the Drivers Club. And the factory with a prominent stand.
Mike Hughes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Mike Hughes »

The Times have a good 1 minute summary that includes TOK, the Aero and 3-wheeler, worth a look.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/drivin ... 486072.ece
Rgds
Mike
Mike Hughes