Distinguished Lady Racing Drivers

Race chatter
peter rafter

Distinguished Lady Racing Drivers

Post by peter rafter »

re the recent article on a certain Miss P M Fawcett, I wondered whether there were any post war equivalents i.e. distinguished lady Morgan racing drivers. Fast forward to 1970 and lo and behold a certain Miss M Smith graces the racing scene. But were there any others of note? (excluding in the first instance present day lady exponents Kath, Sharlie, and Suzanne).
Can anyone enlighten us?
Surely a follow up subject (John Clarke/Charles Neal or even he of the spoken word Bob).
In the interim any detail historical or anecdotal would be of interest
peter
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Distinguished Lady Racing Drivers

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Names from the 1970s and 1980s : Vivien Morgan, Caroline Tarry, Ms Kurlapska Brown (friend of Malcolm Hayward).
excluding in the first instance present day lady exponents Kath, Sharlie, and Suzanne
I know I haven't been out much this year Peter but there's no need to rub it in!
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Blessed Mary,
mea culpa,
As a mere mortal I assumed the reference to a certain Miss. M Smith sufficed to position her in the annals of distinguished lady racing drivers, and there was no intention of excluding said debutante from the modern cadre.
However, I note the absence of anecdotal plaudits or endorsements from contempory gallants jack and leigh? or ist it too soon?

ps, i was rather mildy pleased with myself from a recent joust at mallory, inter alia, but understand you may have had rev problems so i have awarded myself just a a one handed clap!
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

peter rafter wrote:just a a one handed clap
Glad to you hear you have finally got the clap PETER.

Anon
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Jane Hill here

Don't I qualify as a "distinguished racing driver" - or don't hill climbers 'count'??

(Peter's apologies to Karena, Michelle, Margaret, Anne, and Lizzie........)

Found more on Prudence - she's even made the French blogs recently

http://www.paperblog.fr/1994057/tous-mo ... c-welcome/

Love to all from sunny NZ (Spring is in the air - 14 degrees)
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Mary didnt Kate sprint Gizzard ??
do you aso remember the lady who had a red 4/4 4seater who sprinted in the 80s .Her mechanic i think was her brother
and he was Blind I remember his nick name as Blind Brian .
The car popped a core plug at snett. I remmber watching him fit a new one when the car was red hot..

jack
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Yes Jack you're right Kate Howes was in an all ladies team including Sharon Chaplin, Mary Oliver and I think Di Martin.
I remember the other lady you mention but cannot recall her name. One day, when I have some spare time I will look back in my archives!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I am not sure if being one wheel short of a full set disqualfies a lady from being 'distinguised' but surely Sue Darbyshire might rate a mention for her exploits in her Morgan?
I do know of another well known lady who competes in HSCC events and has a son due to go to Afghanistan shortly and is looking for people to lobby for better equipment for the Army (http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/vector/), and it makes you realise that we all more than we may appear at the circuit. Not just a lady racer but mother as well!

I can recall a number of ladies who raced over the years but not in Morgans, for instance who has ever heard of Joke Maarsland, a Dutch girl who drove an Aston Martin DB3 back in the 50's? Still I had better not wander too far away from Peter's original point lest I be accused of rambling.

We can continue the discussion at Silverstone.

regards to all

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards