Techniques Trophy - BDC 8th August 2009

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Bob Bull

Re: Techniques Trophy - BDC 8th August 2009

Post by Bob Bull »

John Clarke wrote:What our professional reporter failed to mention
Thank you John, I would respectfully point out that my reply to Tim's enquiry was timed at 7.19am!! Your anticipated report, which I did not wish to pre-empt, was not logged until much (much) later, I merely wished to satisfy our Antipodean comrade's curiosity as soon as possible.
With regard to your post I, I see that Tim used the word 'eventually' when refering to my contibution, prophetic, or what?

Can I have my memory stick back.

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

Chris
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

“ The sun shone all day and it was shorts for many, which displayed some fairly strange limbs to public gaze ... not a pretty sight.”

As you know Bob I was busy showing off my Lands End – John O Groats cycle legs and having them felt by adoring females. In fact Tracy had asked me to sign the charity raffle car, but had to settle for Victoria Pendleton instead.

I must echo Kelvin’s thanks to Barry for loan of car, and more particularly Jan and ‘the boys’ for delivery / collection. Kelvin as usual casually rolled up on Saturday morning, got two cars scrutineered, rebuilt the carbs on the 4/4, and then did a demon drive.

Whereas I was there a day early for extra practice, and managed to finish last Moggy in the TT – but had great fun with an MG, made up the numbers (19 starters) and very much enjoyed the Techniques buffet.

Mind you had helpful advice from Keith as I was about to go out – “Wasn’t that the car that Barry rolled ?”

As for the pre race lecture from SOG about how careful he was with the SLR – well when he and John Clarke passed each side of me going into Becketts I don’t think either was thinking too much of the value of their cars – both immaculate – one a factory GENUINE super sports, the other an SLR.

Lovely weather, great social scene, and the sight of Tony and son driving off home in the Viper just made the day. Does the AA membership cover it ?
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Wish I had a 4 cylinder car.
Hugely enjoyed the social scene.
FAB buffett.
Yes, AA covered :)
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

A special thank you has to go to Brian and Tracy for all their hard work.

Praise came from spectators, supporters and racers alike as to how well the day 'worked' and how welcoming the TT paddock area was. The racing was thrilling and on such a warm day never has a cold beer at the end of a race been quite so welcome.

In 2009 Brian and Tracy gave us all the clearest demonstration as to how a race event should be run.

Many thanks to you both.

Jonathon and Claire Rushton
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

May I also echo all the comments that have already been made on the TT and all the hard work that Brian, Tracy and their team put in to make it a very enjoyable event. As someone who, would have entered, if he could have entered, but couldn’t enter, because the **** car is still not ready!! I had to do with sitting in the BRDC stand watching a very exciting race unfold. ………….. Maybe next year
Philip
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Not maybe next year - definitely next year!

I can only echo everyones positive comments - thank you Brian and Tracy and all the hardworking team at Techniques.

The TT Trophy is the premier event for 4 cylinder and especially historic Morgan Plus Fours and this is highlighted by the fact that it is held at the invitation of the Bentley Drivers Club at their prestigious annual Silverstone meeting. The fact that it was their 60th Anniversary this year was a bonus.

Next year will have to be something special to top this year!

Cheers

Mark
Andy Garlick

Post by Andy Garlick »

Folks
I hope this link will take you to my unedited collection of photos from the BDC meeting . Aplogies if you don't share my view of what is interesting!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/therealmo ... ovGGiP31Mw#
Let me know if you would like any full size images.

From a spectator's viewpoint the whole meeting was great , great racing , great cars , and nice pepole to talk to and many old friends. Add in Brian and Tracy's wonderful hospitality and some good weather and it is difficult to imagine a better day. I was very impressed by the show of +4s and escpecially impressed by the commitment to driving them hard , each one seeking his personal victory over those around them.
I hope the photos captured some of that.

Many thanks Brian and Tracy , you have done it again.

Andy
Mogman
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Feted, Flattered and Fed!

Here is a chap who has never even sat in a Morgan, let alone owned, driven or raced one, and yet he was made to feel completely at home with the assembled throng of Morgan Folk in the paddock, made to feel almost important, introduced to all sorts of people, greeted like an old friend by perfect strangers, and invited to stuff himself stupid with scoff. I have said it before and I am privieged to repeat it here. Morgan types are a very friendly bunch, why I must have shaken more hands than Gordon Brown on the campaign trail.
May I add my thanks to those that have gone before to Techniques in all it's parts. Brian,Tracy and James treated me like .... well a celebrity! But what do they know?
Let us not forget 'Mum' and girls who prepared the spread that we all enjoyed, thank you ladies.
I must also thank Richard Thorne for the lunch that kept me going 'til the Tech. buffet opened.
Many thanks to everyone, drivers, wives, girlfriends for making the Saturday something very special for me. Why even those who consider me a pretentious hobbledehoy were kind enough not to say anything.
I can only repay your kindness by posting pictures on the usual site, although some may not be too pleased at their portrayal, so let me apologise in advance for any offence, and remind you that all pictures may be downloaded FOC.

Kindest regards,

Bob.

PS; Normal service will be resumed shortly.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Brian Gateson
Tech Comm

Post by Brian Gateson »

Thank you to everyone for all your kind comments and support. Everything went well at the weekend, even the weather ! and thankfully there were no nasty incidents. The racing could not have been any closer and it was great to see TOK without a roof ! Richard must have got keith worried.

Like many of the supporters I decided to watch from the stand, where you could see the tail end of the grid waiting for the start, there appeared to be so many Morgans. As I was watched the race unfold, there was so much happening I did not know who to keep my eyes on.

The MG's and AC's are a good match for many of the Morgans and so the racing was close throughout the field, making for superb spectating and although the race was only fifteen minutes long it seemed to last forever, the cars just kept on coming, no doubt Keith was hoping for the chequred flag to appear towards the end with every lap.

It has to be said that the paddock area was a bit messy, however Tracy seemed to somehow get the Morgans parked together, to make a good display and so thank you to those of you for cooperating (and doing as you were told !)

Congratulations to Keith, Richard (pole position and fastest lap !) and Adrian, our 'winners' and to Colin Pearcy for Driver of the day and well done to everyone who entered the TT for making it quite a special little race, a great leveller for 4 cylinder cars and I hope you all enjoyed our '62 LeMan winners presence, it was a real honour to have both Chris and Richard there at the presentation.

We have now had four different winners in as many races, long may this trend continue - perhaps it will be Richard's turn next year ?

Thanks to you all once again,

Brian & Tracy and all the team.