After The Techniques Trophy .....

Race chatter
Robin Singleton

Re: After The Techniques Trophy .....

Post by Robin Singleton »

Bob

How about a bi athlon..... a bike racing and +4 event?

Robin Singleton
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Well done Robin, that's what we need on this forum, a bit of lateral thought, thinking outside the box. A brilliant idea, a 'Le Mans' type start, contestants would sprint (?) across the track leap onto their bicycles, do a lap of the Grand Prix (?) circuit before donning race overalls etc. and setting out in the +4's for 10 laps of the International circuit. The danger would be some of the faster cyclists, Edwards, Emberson and the like finding some of the slower riders still completing their lap when they arrived at Abbey. Never mind that would add to the spectacle, and the sight of Chris Acklam on his Raleigh Lenton attempting to get past a couple of Morgans around Brooklands would be worth the entry fee alone!

I assume you have a + 4, but what sort of bike do you intend to ride?

This project seems to have lost some impetus lately, so I am very glad that you have re-ignited the passion. I also note that many of the luminaries of the cycling world are maintaining a very low profile indeed. No comment from JE or even JE about their plans for the race, probably too busy training in the Brecon Beacons. Let's face it Big Ron will certainly have poor old Embers on a strict regime, no way is she going to let him be beaten. She loves the Bubbly too much.

Oh! A major sponsorship deal is still being sought so if you have any contacts in Corporate Circles, sound them out, the prestige connected with such a major sporting spectacle can not be overstated.

Well done again,

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Jonathan Edwards

Post by Jonathan Edwards »

Us JE's need to stick together. Keeping a low profile in the bunch so we don't get run over by Jack!
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Yes, perhaps there should be a "JE +4 Racing Team"? Anyway, you & Bob are quite astute as in my efforts to beat the legendary Jack at some form of racing I am in training for the Tour of Dartmoor on the 26th September. As recently noted in the press I'm loading up on beetroot juice which had better work in light of its well publicised side-effect & was out on Dartmoor at the weekend (result = got lost & stung by a wasp)! I doubt we'll find Jack out on a bicycle on Dartmoor (not sure about Bob though) so my chances of winning would seem assured..........??
John Emberson
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Careful.!! there may be a car lurking behind a hedge .....

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

It is good to see that the competitors for the 'Big Race' are taking it seriously, and getting down to some intensive training. Team JE+4 obviously look like the front runners, so to speak, at the moment, but have they peaked too early? It is also good to see that John Emberson (is he JE 1 or JE 2?) has arranged sponsorship from the Beetroot Marketing Board, and will, no doubt be wearing a suitably coloured racing jersey for the occasion, one wonders however, about these 'side effects' he mentions. Should we be addressing any queries to Big Ron I wonder, concerning his improved performance? Maybe not!!

Another question that arises from John's post concerns him touring Dartmoor, one is bound to ask precsiely what that involves. I always understood that it was a place for the criminally insane. I can see how living with Cathe........ Careful Bob!

Jonathon E. 'hiding in the bunch' does that mean you are out with the local chain gang every evening getting the miles in? Or don't cyclists do that anymore, perhaps relying on certain 'juices' to boost performance?

And Jack! Do they have hedges on Dartmoor?

Despite the enormous interest this event has generated I note that Mark Shears has been remarkably reticent concerning his participation, perhaps he is still seeking a suitable historic Claud Butler to restore to original condition before announcing his plans. Tony Lees may well be trying to find a bright yellow 1910 vintage tricycle in order to attract some publicity for his entry, and Mary is also keeping a low profile, so one may surmise that she is busy taking the engine out of Wild Thing and fitting a saddle in place of the deck chair to be sure that she remains dry if it should rain on the day.

I hope that this news up-date will trigger a few more entries so that the inaugaral race will be a huge success, and be the start of an exciting era in the annals of Morgan history.

Don't be shy, let's hear from you!!

Bob, Coarse Marshall
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

And Bob ..do Morgans make bikes

Hedging me bets jack
Catherine Emberson

Post by Catherine Emberson »

I think that John is insane in his quest for glory riding the wilds of Dartmoor but now I wonder after your comments whether perhaps he is just making excuses to get away from me for several hours. 6 and a half hours last Saturday seemed a bit extreme though and a discussion with a fellow cyclist on Sunday about how you can avoid falling off when your feet are clipped into the pedals and the hills get so steep that you can't keep going just proves the case. (The answer to that one is to lean into the bank to break your fall --plenty of them on Dartmoor but few hedges). As to why Dartmoor? You'll have to ask John.... something to do with 'the challenge' whatever that is. I like to take life easier - nice cream teas in Devon and their ice cream is pretty good too!

Also please no more mentions of biathlons. The cycling/motor racing combination would really appeal to John and he doesn't need to be encouraged in any other sporting ventures. It would involve both trailering the car to the circuit and sorting out the bike rack for the car too. You may not have realised that I am not the driving force behind team Emberson I just do what I am told!

Sorry we can't make it to Cadwell this weekend, hope you all have fun.

Catherine
Robin Singleton

Post by Robin Singleton »

Hi Bob

Been trying to sort out the new house. We have moved to the coast to join the rest of geriatrica, and Sarah has a long list of jobs including installing light fittings! So I have been rather tied up!

My idea of a bike/+4 athlon was triggered by a late night chat/beer with friends when like your good self I was recounting those happy days of youth when I cycled 30 miles round trip to work and back daily up and down the hills of North Lancashire. But I'm afraid that the milage over the years has taken its toll on legs knees and willpower. However I would be more than willing to take part in a few laps in the Supersports. I think if I were given a suitable handicap over the bikes I might just complete the first part of the event before them.

As to sponsorship I think you have touched on an important point here Bob. As I say I have just moved house (to Aldeburgh ) and am not yet fully acquainted with the business tycoons of the area. On the other hand I understand that the Coop Funeral Service is quite big out here. Should I approach them... what do you think?

Robin

PS As to the bike I'm afraid that like yours it went some time ago. It was a Sun lightweight special with fixed gear and yes it did have foot clips! I remember it was painted a lovely organge metallic. Now how about a Morgan or two in an exciting colour like that?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Catherine,
I find myself in the not unusual position of wishing I had not put my big foot in my big mouth, you see for some time I have rather made fun of you, although never maliciously, never realising that you were married to a Jekyll and Hyde character.
Life must be hell behind that smiling exterior you exhibit around the paddock, little did I think for even a moment that John had such an alter ego, when interviewed by Three Counties Radio he is all smarm and charm, but, it seems one drink of beetroot juice and he becomes a slavering werewolf roaming the wild moors, leaning on banks and probably howling at the moon.
Driven by a lust for success, he seems to be obsessed with winning something, anything, maybe the years of struggling amongst the also rans of the Power Torque Challenge has unhinged his fragile mind,and tipped him over the edge of sanity?
Let us try and arrange for him to win a prize in the bicycle race next year and hope it satisfies his need for recognition. Until then I will moderate my remarks to a more sympathetic nature.

Be Brave,

Bob.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Robin,
Nice to hear from you again, I trust that the move to the seaside will not inhibit your contributions to the forum, do tell Sarah that while light fittings may be useful your intervention here is essential.

I have been giving some thought to the older types like Peter Rafter and ourselves and I am hoping to include a 'Vets' category into the event, although I have yet to work out how to stop Philip Goddard entering and wiping the field, I may have to define 'Vet' very carefully.

I trust that your '30 mile round trip' did include some very steep hills as I used to commute to work about 25 miles each way, but it was relatively flat between Luton and Boreham Wood. I once reckoned I was riding almost 10,000 mile a year with my other cycling activities added in, including a bit of competition.

Contacting the Co op funeral service sounds like a capital idea, we needn't ask for money, just a discount, as many of us would probably take advantage of their good offices before the day was out.
By the way did not our Prime Minister holiday in Aldeburgh recently? Shame he didn't take advantage while he was there.

I look forward to your next contribution.

Owd Bob.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

jack bellinger wrote:And Bob ..do Morgans make bikes
Jack,
I don't know, but they do make trikes!!

Did you hear about the jockey who was accused of assaulting a women behind the Water Jump, and asked for seven other fences to be taken in to account?

Never changing Bob.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob ..was that what you call a short story ?

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack, Old Friend,
All to frequently I fail to comprehend the impression you are endeavouring to convey, you last post is but one more example.

Ah! Ha! Has the penny just dropped, even as I type these words? Jockeys - shorts! Is that the inference in your missive?

IT'S NOT LIKE YOU TO BE SUBTLE.

Bobby
Regards