Benefits of Sliding Pillar Suspension

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Benefits of Sliding Pillar Suspension

Post by Bob Bull »

I rather feel that subjects on this particular section have wandered in to areas best left to tabloid newspapers, I am therefore going to try and raise the tone of our discussions by introducing a far more interesting and discursive topic.

I have often wondered whether sliding pillar suspension would have any significant advantages over say, a De Dion system, torsion bar, leaf spring or Chapman Strut (or is that a dance routine?).

I am sure that many of the more technically minded will explain the Dubonnet shock absorber system, when used with trailing link front suspension and it's application to modern electric cars. I remember that my father made a 'damper' for our coal fire back in the fifties, but I have difficulty in seeing how a flat metal sheet with a handle would improve the ride on a Morgan or similar sports car.

Perhaps Catherine Emberson may have photographs she could publish to illustrate the mounting of silentbloc bushes on to rear axles.

No doubt the likes of Andy Downes, Tim Hill and even (don't laugh) Jack Bellinger may care to share their expertise. Perhaps Mary might even rouse herself from the self induced torpor into which she has so obviously slumped recently.

Come on chaps etc. help me out here!!!

Motor Sport Editor & Reporter.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: Benefits of Sliding Pillar Suspension

Post by jack bellinger »

Well my sliding pillar keeps falling of the Bed !!
(Bob this happens when your active !!!)
love jack
Catherine Emberson

Post by Catherine Emberson »

Don't have any relevant photos of any suspension systems but John bought me 'Competition Car Suspension" a practical handbook by Allan Staniforth for Christmas 2007 so now may be the time to open it!!!

Catherine
Dave McDonald

Post by Dave McDonald »

Catherine
I imagine you were overcome with emotion when you opened your Christamas present in 2007, how can he possibly top that this year. Incidentally, I believe Alan Staniforth recently shuffled off this mortal coil spring, to that great race track in the sky.

Bob
I think the Chapman Strut was Little Eva's follow up to the Turkey Trot.

Dave McDonald
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

Catherine Emberson wrote:Don't have any relevant photos of any suspension systems but John bought me 'Competition Car Suspension" a practical handbook by Allan Staniforth for Christmas 2007 so now may be the time to open it!!!

Catherine
wow that John knows the way to charm a Lady , remind me of the year I bought Jan a set of saucepans , I seem to have used them ever since !
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Despite a number of replies to my initial post, I am stll none the wiser as regards to the merits of sliding pillars (thank you Jack for your, as ever, valuable contribution on spring rates under load.). Catherine has certainly cast new light on John, who I am led to believe does a passable pasa doble, but one can only wonder if the Christmas gift from 2007 has improved the roadholding of his various Morgans, but it cannot, surely have improved the hold on her affections.

Inevitably we have drifted (a racing term, where all four wheels are parallel, but an angle to the direction of travel.) from the original theme, but thanks to Dave McD for his lesson in pop history, as I was not aware that Little Eva had recorded the Turkey Trot, I can only recall 'The Locomotion', which does at least have a certain resonance with the subject under discussion. I might, however, still have a copy of the Red Ingle 78 of Moe Zart's Turkey Trot, a very funny record.

I relinquish any hope of learned discourse on suspension, but will suspend belief, and await further revelations on the 'Magnificent Embersons' or perhaps, even cooking hints from Jerry?

Where will we go next?
Regards
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Lancia?
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Perhaps Mary might even rouse herself from the self induced torpor into which she has so obviously slumped recently.
I'm still here Bob, away for most of September but back now and interested to note that your posts have not changed in quality or content...........

Now for the technical stuff:

The stub axle thrust is taken by the phosphor bronze plate between the stub axle and the lower end of the spring, this is bolted to a spring steel blade the other end of which is secured to the chassis frame. On the early models (of Plus 4) the steel blade was drilled for the kingpin, on later models the steel plate can be detached without further dismantling it.
I remember that my father made a 'damper' for our coal fire back in the fifties, but I have difficulty in seeing how a flat metal sheet with a handle would improve the ride on a Morgan or similar sports car.
It seems that your father may have unwittingly designed a similar device.

Hope this helps.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Mary you cant trick technical bods like me and Bob.

By showing us a picture of a Broken Suspender Strap... and expect us to believe its some sort of dampening Device!!.

In fact ..Suspenders tend to do the opposite (do you still remember Bob?)

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

TonyLees wrote:Lancia?
So?
Is that the sum total of your 'expertise' on sliding pillars? If so why get out of bed in the morning?

Report Card for A Lees From 3b; Must try harder.

Mary,
Welcome back, we missed you, and so nice of you to compliment my postings. It is good to know that I am still delivering first class material.

'Stub axle thrust'? Is that legal in this day and age?

I don't know about you Jack, but I was always kept in suspenders as a youth. Took me a long time to catch on. I must have been well into my thirties before I understood sliding pillars.

Now de dion rear suspension was a doddle.

Kind regards to all,

Bob.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Mary you cant trick technical bods like me and Bob.
By showing us a picture of a Broken Suspender Strap... and expect us to believe its some sort of dampening Device!!.
Jack, that makes me see the Morgan Autobook in a completely different light.
It is good to know that I am still delivering first class material.
Bob, that is certainly one way of describing it.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

What about King Pin Inclination!!

jack
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Or roll centre
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Whats a Bakers got to do with it??

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Definitions;

Oversteer; A cowboy bull riding.

Understeer; A cowboy falling off.

Powerslide; A device for idle children.

Steering Arm; The one not holding the popsie.

Chassis Flex; John Emberson doing the Pasa Doble.

Rollover Bar; Any Morgan driver after too many gin and tonics.

HANS Device; It's German, but I hesitate to think what he uses it for.

Can I join the Tech Committee now?
Regards