oil catch tanks

Technical queries or suggestions
john bevan

oil catch tanks

Post by john bevan »

I currently have a 1 litre catch tank on the Morgan. MSA regs indicate a 2 litre minimum up to 2 litres engine capacity. How fussy are scrutineers about this or can I get away with the current tank for this year race season?

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Andrew Faulds

Re: oil catch tanks

Post by Andrew Faulds »

I had the same issue at Silverstone BDC last season, with a 1 litre catch tank on my Plus 8. After a short discussion and a word in his ear from Chas Windridge, the scrutineer passed my car. In all my other races at Oulton, Mallory, Donnington etc, it has never been a problem. The regs state that "if" a catch tank is fitted blah blah blah (in other words I don't think a catch tank is compulsory), then it must be of a certain size. In my case, if all else failed I felt could have simply by-passed the catch tank and re-route the pipe from the rocker cover back into the air box as it is as standard. My advise would be not to worry about it,

Regards, Andy
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Bigger the better. We don't want to be like those Vintage cars dropping oil all over the place :oops:
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

The regs are written so the catch tank is large enough to theoretically avoid any oil getting on the track if the engine blows back/lunches itself etc

So I would fit the proper tank as per the regs written over many years by the technical experts of the MSA

And hence show proper concern for the safety of other competitors,a 2 litre catch tank costs about £100

Last year at Snet an alternator fan broke,severed a water pipe/oil pipe which deposited liquid on the track during Morgan practice,Phil Hollins hit this patch of fluid at over 120 mph and then hit the barrier!

Hitting barriers is not much fun and is rather expensive
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Pete Mulberry is a genius with aluminium and will make superb quality one-offs.

http://www.mulfab.co.uk/
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

thanks for all the advice, looks like I'll need a bigger tank after all then,

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!