RU at Le Mans Classic 2010

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Emberson
Morgan Class B

RU at Le Mans Classic 2010

Post by John Emberson »

Firstly, I wanted to thank everyone for all the good wishes and congratulations that have been sent for the unbelievable good fortune of RU finishing 1st overall in the Performance Index of Plateau 4 at Le Mans. Secondly, I should apologise for taking a while to make this posting. Immediately after Le Mans we went straight off to Devon for Charles’ 18th birthday party and we can’t get an internet signal down there. By the way, I now regret saying I was too hot at Le Mans as we experienced the worst summer storm I can ever remember on the night of the party. It was like a disaster movie with gales, torrential rain and freezing temperatures…… Anyway, these are my recollections of the races:

Friday day qualifying (15:55) – It all started brilliantly! Keith was first into the pre-grid and I was just behind him. When we were released onto the track the GT40 behind me stalled and so Keith and I just sped off onto an empty track. I now regret thinking “I’ll just follow TOK and learn Keith’s lines as I can’t be that much slower than him over one lap” as when we got to the pit straight RU seemed to develop a misfire and Keith disappeared into the distance………… I struggled round for a couple of laps but then pitted early to see what Bill and James thought. Brian was in the pits as well but we couldn’t immediately diagnose a fault so Bill went out to set a time (disappointing for him) of 5:49 whilst Keith was like a missile with 5:30. When Bill returned to the pits RU expired and we all had that sinking feeling that is part and parcel of racing – was it all over? Back in the paddock we found that one of rocker cover bolts had sheared off and a piece was floating around the engine. Everyone rallied around (especially Billy) and James managed to dislodge the errant piece with a hammer. Meanwhile Bill cycled round each paddock (twice) to find a suitable replacement bolt although slightly worryingly it was not of the same strength as the original.

Friday night qualifying (23:10) – I tentatively drive RU out for the night qualifying as we haven’t been able to test RU other than a quick drive around the paddock. I restrict myself to below 5500rpm and come in after a couple of laps to report that all seems fine. Bill goes out and tries a bit harder and sets a time of 5:45 whilst Keith equals his time of 5:30.

Saturday round 1 (17:10) – The 50 mins wait under the baking sun (38c) in the pre-grid area is excruciating but the “false” ear-of-corn running start is great fun even though I have to give up the places I’d gained when we grid up properly on the Mulsanne for the rolling start. The race is uneventful other than being clipped by a Porsche 904 GTS on the front wing which Bill and James later delicately repair with their boots. The Morgan’s both complete 8 laps and RU finishes 25th whilst TOK is 14th and in the Performance Index Keith is 1st and we are 2nd.

Sunday round 2 (01:14) – Bill starts the night race and his in-car video footage later shows it to be like a demolition derby. For some reason, perhaps due to unfamiliarity, the driving standards seem to be lower and everyone corner seems to have a spinner or a car off. Unfortunately Keith is unable to complete one lap. He and an E-type are following a Cobra which spins in front of the E-type. The E-type driver has a split second to decide which way to go to avoid the Cobra and sadly chooses to go right which means that he goes straight into Keith eliminating him from the race. Billy looks very relieved when he receives a call from Keith at the trackside to say that he is okay. RU finishes the race 26th and moves to 19th overall after two rounds and largely by default due to TOK’s demise, 1st in the Performance Index. I have to say I loved my night driving stint and it is very exciting to be overtaken by a GT40 at full chat down the Mulsanne, if only RU’s discs glowed in the dark………..

Sunday round 3 (09:35) – Again, Bill and I share the driving with me starting and Bill taking the chequered flag. We complete another 8 relatively uneventful laps and Bill sets a great time for RU of 5:32. We finish the race 21st but 16th overall after the three rounds due to so many others suffering breakdowns or failures (thanks, Techniques). Also, unbelievably we finish 1st overall in the performance index and receive an embarrassingly large cup at the prize-giving.

So, it was a fantastic experience and we really appreciated all the support we received in particular from the Morgan owners club members who were at Le Mans (the post-race cheese and beer party was fantastic). In addition, Keith was very supportive and despite his misfortune reminded me that you need to finish to win which was very kind of him. Bill as usual was a fantastic co-driver and Catherine did a great job as team manager. =D>
John Emberson
John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: RU at Le Mans Classic 2010

Post by John Clarke »

Congratulations John, a great result and great report.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

To Equipe Emberson,
Well done to all concerned in the victory at Le Mans, it sounds like a great team effort, such a shame you only get one pot, as everybody deserves one.
I hope that you will all be at the Classic this weekend (with pot) for photo oportunities, and interviews?

Congratulations especially to the Team Manager who clearly had the hardest job.

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Hi Bob,

I've read your e-mail a number of times but cannot detect even the slightest hint of mickey taking............am I losing my powers of perception?? More seriously, thanks very much for your good wishes and I wholeheartedly agree with your view that everyone should have got a cup - Catherine, Bill, James Gateson, and Billy (on loan from Keith).

Bill and I will have RU at the Silverstone Classic this weekend in the RAC TT race on Sunday. It would be a pleasure to see you there but I can't promise the cup as it's actually a bit OTT......

Cheers,
John Emberson
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

John!!!!!!!!
I am mortified ................................ ME? Take the Mickey?
What were you thinking of?

I shall have a word on Sunday.

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Catherine Emberson

Post by Catherine Emberson »

The team was fantastic, especially James who is not only a great mechanic but a master of the pit board. Team manager thinks she could have done better though. Timing of the pit stops were a bit conservative with a lee way of between 8 and 6 seconds for each of the 3 stops. If we had had one of Richards egg timers we could have shaved 22 seconds off our overall time and could possibly have moved up the overall classification from 16th to 15th (or even 14th?) place. Driver changes without a minimum time are much simpler for the time keeper but require a bit of practice from the drivers. What is the fastest realistic change we should be aiming for at Silverstone this weekend do you think?
Many thanks to everyone who made our weekend so memorable and thanks too to Billy who helped James sort out our engine problem. I know that James was sorry not to have been able to return the compliment when TOK was taken out but we were just relieved that Keith was OK. RUs engine now fully restored to working order and will be testing at Silverstone tomorrow in readiness for the Pre 63s (RAC trophy).. Who else will be there this weekend?

Hoping for good weather but Dijon proved that the Morgans do very well in the wet especially against the more powerful cars so perhaps we should be praying for rain....

Catherine
Jochem Kentgens

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

Fantastic, well done! congratulations to the whole team!

Unfortunately had to miss this year's edition (after having been there 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008...).

Looking forward to loads of pictures all around the internet.

Sad to learn about TOK, hope and trust she will be OK soon..

Best regards, Jochem kentgens