dip stick on moss box

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

malcolm rogan
Anti spam question: MSA

dip stick on moss box

Post by malcolm rogan »

Can somone tell me the length of the dipstick for a moss box and/or distance from bottom of plug to the fill line. Have drained the oil from my +4 and filled with 1.3L as per book which barely comes to the bottom of the stick. Checked and about 1.6L drained out.
It looks like the dipstick is shorter thean should be but can't think why this would be so.

Any help appreciated

Malcolm Rogan
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: dip stick on moss box

Post by jack bellinger »

About 1.5L is ok but may leak a bit from the gear lever if Blatting about but not normaly a problem
the dipstick it threaded at the top some times it breaks and has a bit more thread put on it thus shortening the stick .
put 1.3-1.4 L in and remark it

As to how you put in 1.3L and drained out 1.6L let me Know ?? will use that trick on me wallet

jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Malcolm,
You may take Jack's advises with confidence as he is quite a Dipstick ...................................expert.

Has this anything to do with 'quarts' and 'pint pots' by any chance?

RFB
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
malcolm rogan
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by malcolm rogan »

turns out my dipstick is 1/4 inch shorter than some and 2.5 pints convers to 1.4L not 1.3L sum of which accounts for underfill. Regretably I have not discoverred the secret of multiplying matter. The 1.6L I measured was the volume I drained out in the first place!