MSCC AUTOSOLO July 31st

Races, track days, testing ...
Simon Baines

MSCC AUTOSOLO July 31st

Post by Simon Baines »

The Oxmog Centre are organising the MSCC Autosolo at Gaydon Heritage Centre on July 31st. This event was run for the 1st time last year and was a great success - for comments see this forum for the MSCC Autosolo.

The entry form and supplementary regulations can also be found on www.oxmog.org.uk - see the AutoSolo tab.

An AutoSolo is a highly entertaining and enjoyable event to spectate at but more importantly to take part in. Just to remind you, it is not necessary for competitors to hold a competition licence and no special equipment, clothing, including helmets, is required.
An AutoSOLO is a test of manoeuvering a vehicle around a course of gates and obstacles against the clock. Courses are designed to ensure that engine size does not give an advantage. No reversing is involved. This could be your chance to prove that you are the better driver!
The competition is open to all members and there are three classes. If there are sufficient entries they will add classes for lady drivers.
Volunteers are also required to act as marshals during the event. In return for 2-3 hours marshalling you would receive an entry pass for the Heritage Motor Centre Museum (face value £11) and a two-course lunch in the on-site restaurant.
Spectators are welcome, with free entry to the site. Advance purchase passes can be supplied for the museum at £5 per person and two-course lunch tickets at £10.50 per person.
Museum passes will be available on the day at £7 per person, on production of a current MSCC membership card.

The closing date for entries has been extended until 23rd July and the organisers may be able to accept entries as late as the date of the event but to avoid disappointment, send your entry in as soon as possible.
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: MSCC AUTOSOLO July 31st

Post by jack bellinger »

Unfortunately ..Its my Grand Daughters Christening that day . and cant make it (wife just wont let me )
But its well worth it just to Blat your Mog about a bit ( there is alao a bit of skill involved )

Shame,,I will miss that enjoyable day

jack bellinger
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Simon

Actually each car needs a current MOT and tax etc so "racing" mogs from say Class A/B and cars not driven to the circuit are excluded
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

Yes, all cars do need to be road legal and running on List 1a tyres, so I will be bringing a spare set of wheels to Thruxton. As for the driving to the circuit, I will probably be driving it from the car park by the entrance as the "circuit" is round the back of the venue!
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I understand that Race Class C tyres (which are not in List 1a) will be permitted perhaps in some sort of invitation class if there is a chance of them winning. Perhaps the same will apply to those who don’t (genuinely) drive to Gaydon. Can’t make Thruxton but Tamsin and I will be contesting the Sebba trophy at Gaydon - in the afternoon - as she is coming direct from a Welsh hen weekend. (Don’t ask me what a Welsh hen is)
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Tamsin and I will be contesting the Sebba trophy at Gaydon -
That sounds very grand Leigh!
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

Well, the regs have been changed, or at least sent out for approval. 1b tyres now allowed, I hope they will be penalised like they are in the sprint series.
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Mary – it is a trophy Tamsin made for us to compete for at the various PCTs, sprints etc as we don’t have a hope of winning anything else. Not very grand and technically now all mine as she has gone and got married and changed her name.
Anyone want a T5 EBA number plate ?

Richard – I quite agree that 1b tyres should be penalised or go in an Invitation class. However as it is a Morgan event I asked if I could enter my Class C (in Morgan race series) +8 on the usual Class C tyres. It seems a bit contradictory to have a spec for roadgoing cars in the race series, and then ban them totally from the Club Autosolo.

I recall asking about entering the I of M event a few years back and was told I could not enter there on the Class C Yokos.
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

Absolutely no criticism of any organisers here, but maybe for future CLUB events, the rules could be modified to allow racers. It could be great for those members who plod along in their cars who don't maybe go to races, to actually see race cars at close quarters. After all, racers are club members too. Then, those who 'drive' their cars from the front gate to the event could have a clear concience, eh plumber? !!!
Richard Smith
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Yes but needs a bit of care as at present Autosolo needs no comp license, no helmet, etc so a bit dodgy if owner hands a Class A race car (or a highly modified hillclimb car) to a novice to run amok in a car park !

And don’t want an Autosolo full of fire proof overalls etc
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

ooh, wasn't thinking of getting anyone else to drive a race car, only the owner/regular driver, but if one is on offer......!

The regs about fire proof suits, helmets and gloves is one which no doubt the heavy handed rule makers at the MSA will get their grubby hands on before long, and take another entry level motor sport event away from novices, like they are doing/have done with sprints. I know of a few who have given sprinting up because of the new rules. Yes, I know we need to put safety at the front, but there are limits.
Richard Smith
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

Well, the regs have been changed, or at least sent out for approval. 1b tyres now allowed, I hope they will be penalised like they are in the sprint series
Smithy

Do you know something that I don't. At present, the regs on the Oxmog website state strictly List 1a tyres.

As I will be racing at Thruxton the day before, I would certainly consider not having to carry a spare set of wheels all the way to Thruxton and back if I can compete on the race tyres. Might have to tell Jono to go easy on the tyres though!

A penalty similar to the Speedmog Series would be the way to cover such an option - say 2.5% for 1b's.

Whatever the case, it's good to see some dialogue on this event to offer more options for the future and possibly attract some of the racers who don't run 1a tyres and don't have the car MOT'd.
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

Didn't you get an e mail yesterday about it? It came from Peter Forrest. Let me know if you need me to fwd it to you.
Richard Smith
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

Thanks Richard, had the call last night from Tony Oliver. Looks like its 1b tyres then although if it rains, I will be wishing I was on your tyres.

Jonathan has already said he would prefer the 1a tyres "so I can slide it around more"

Must bring in the Dad's tyres rule soon.
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

Hmmm, looks like the kids won the day in most cases; Tamsin pipped dad Leigh, Jim Mountain pipped dad Peter, James beat me hollow,( but in an earlier post, I hoped James would beat me,)

Now Hairy, how come you let your Dad beat you today, hey? You really must try harder!!
Richard Smith