Chris Lawrence

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

Chris Lawrence

Post by John Clarke »

From the BRDC

It is with regret that the Club has to announce the death of Full Member Chris Lawrence, who passed away on the 13th August.

Chris joined the BRDC in 1965 following his 1962 Le Mans class win and other international successes with his famous Lawrencetune Morgan Plus Four. In 1966/67, Chris took part in several F1 races, including the British and German GPs, in a Cooper-Ferrari T73.

Chris was a very talented engineer who created the various Mini-based Deep-Sandersons, the Monica road car and designed and developed high performance versions of various Morgans including the Aero 8.

Condolences have been passed to Chris’s wife, Carrie. Funeral arrangements will be confirmed when available.

I've just returned from holiday and was saddened to hear of Chris's death via an email from Leigh. I met Chris on quite a few occasions and he always expressed an interest in us +4 racing folk. I had the pleasure of his company at Oulton Park when I was racing the SS in my usual "over the top" style. Carrie remarked that Chris was close to tears seeing a Morgan driven so enthusiastically (or was it the abuse I was giving the old car??). He showed great interest in my SS and was surprised that his carburettor linkage set up was still being used.....a funny pillar arrangement for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

I also met up again with Chris at Le Mans Classic, Goodwood Festival of Speed, RAC Club and Brands Hatch... the latter when he arrived in his beautiful Monica. I last saw Chris, I think, at Cheltenham when he was enthusiastically signing copies of his book "Morgan Maverick" - a great read.

A sad day for all Morgan folk and condolences to Carrie.

John
Guy Loveridge

Re: Chris Lawrence

Post by Guy Loveridge »

All Morgans, Monicas, Deep Sandersons etc - A service of Memorial and Celebration for the Life of Chris Lawrence will be held at Great Malvern Priory at 2pm on Friday 30th September. Refreshments will be at the Visitor's Centre at Morgan afterwards. Let's make certain Chris gets a good turn out of "His Cars". Tell everyone you know. He was a legendary chap.
Thanks.
Guy