aerodynamics or myth?

Races, track days, testing ...
Richard Smith

aerodynamics or myth?

Post by Richard Smith »

In the sprinting fraternity, there is a belief that if you have your windscreen on, then you need the roof also, for slipping speedily through the air. With the screen off, your head gets buffeted around, but with the addition of an aeroscreen, along with a tonneau cover, taped down at the front, is allegedly the sleekest option.

Now tell me: on the cover of the current Miscellany, are the 'proper' racers, about to do battle on the race track, none of which appear to be sporting aero screens, and none have tonneau covers. Yet these are the fast boys (and girls) on the block. Who also, probably, know best!

Is it myth then, are we sprinters wasting duck tape, is the addition of a taped-down tonneau just adding weight?
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Richard if you look closer they do all have aero screens ..
as to the tonneau cover I always raced with one until it got ripped so for the last couple of years i haved raced without one Its made no difference to me, and i dont have to worry about it coming off !!

anyway you will gain more time getting the corners right

love jack
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

We have to run aero screens, but that doesn't stop one folding them down for a better, uncluttered view ...

The theories that I have heard are that the most streamlined (though we're talking Morgans here so that may be the wrong word) options are:
1. Aero screen (+ tonneau)
2. Windscreen + hardtop
3. Windscreen

I have never liked the tonneau flapping around, so never put it on, (unless it's very wet, and that's more to try and keep slightly drier and warmer than for speed).

Like Jack I don't think it makes any difference (to me at least) - more important to find a combination that you feel comfortable with.

Chris
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

jack bellinger wrote:anyway you will gain more time getting the corners right

love jack
Jack,

I'm just wondering - How do you know this ?

Have (aerodynamic) Fun
8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'