Where are they Now?

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Eddie Singleton
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: Where are they Now?

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Guy,

I have in my +4 photographic collection, a picture of AMX at Windemere in August 1986.
Can email it to you if you wish but will require your email address.

Regards,

Eddie Singleton.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Where is this car now?
This fascinating advertisement was spotted in an old copy of Motorsport magazine, dated September 1966, by a colleague of Jack Bellinger's.
Does anyone know the history of this car and, if it still exists, where it is now?
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Mary,

Yes we do know the history of this car and yes it does still exist - I think in Holland.

Interesting that EB Plastics advertised the car and not MMC.

Peter Morgan commissioned it and the body was made by the same people (EB Plastics) who made the bodies for the Plus Four Plus.

The difference was it was bodied on a 4/4 chassis - not a Plus 4.

This meant it was powered by the Ford 1500 cc pre-crossflow engine.

I understand it is now powered, as many 60's 4/4s are now, by a Kent 1600 cc engine.

Last time I saw it the car was a bit down at heel but would be interested to hear more about it from its present owner - if he/she reads this website.

Cheers

Mark
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Thanks Mark, that is interesting.
The car was 2 years old and had done 8,000 miles so I suppose the current owner at that time was EB Plastics.
It would be good to see some current photos of the car.
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Hi Mary,
If you have the book "Completely Morgan Four-wheelers 1936 to 1968" by Ken Hill, you will see the car referred to on page 78, including 3 photos.

The book says the car was owned by a German enthusiast, book publication was 1994, so almost 20 years old that reference.

Mark is correct, whilst the design was for a +4, the car was originally powered by a 1500 cc Ford engine.

Probably went overseas in the 1980's.

Interesting these one offs, hope you hear from the current owner.

Eddie Singleton.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Eddie,
I don't have that book but have now discovered the car in Ken Hill's earlier book "The Four Wheeled Morgan Volume 2" which was published in 1980.
It would be good to hear from the current owner as you say.
Best wishes,
Mary
Malcolm Tatton

Post by Malcolm Tatton »

It's also in Ken Hill's book 'The four wheeled Morgan Vol 2' . Description at page 34 and photos at page 37. At that time (pub 1980) the car was said to be in a yard in Surrey still owned by the person that John Edwards had sold it to.

Thanks for posting the ad, it's interesting because the Biddulph Moor factory which was also owned by E B Plastics is about half a mile from home. In fact the factory was one of the first sites that I visited as a trainee in the mid 70's. It was then owned by ERF Plastics but there were photos in the works office of the Morgan +4+ and of the EB Debonair.

I was told then that the Morgan was built on Biddulph Moor and not at the Tunstall works (which is contrary to all the books!), and it always puzzled me. However, I was recently introduced to a man who I understand is one of the last surviving employees of E B Plastics who worked at both Tunstall and Biddulph Moor. He told me that although the bodies were moulded at Tunstall, the chassis' were delivered to Biddulph Moor and the bodies fitted there before being taken to Malvern for finishing, painting and trimming. Don't have any other evidence to confirm or deny his recollections, but the advert above appears to use the Biddulph Moor location for contact.

Thanks again

Malcolm
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

It is amazing how this sort of information gradually comes out of the woodwork!
I have scanned the photo page from Ken Hill's book and it is on the Morgan Challenge web site here:
http://www.morganchallenge.co.uk/Pages/history.html
jochem kentgens1

Post by jochem kentgens1 »

Indeed in Holland, in the hands of Adrian vd Kroft.

The car was owned since the eighties by Wim van Steijn (long time Morgan enthusiast here in Holland). He sold it to Ad a few years ago and restored it for him.

The car was at the centenary meeting: http://www.flickr.com/photos/38786549@N06/3865526265/

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com ... ?id=330442

A 4/4 based special Morgan.

Jochem
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Dear Mark,

With many thanks to Andy Downes and both moderator Chris and John, I am back at this website.

The ex Pip Arnold car is in Holland. The new owner, Fiete van der Grinten, enjoys the car very much. For example, we have seen him at Le Mans Classic.

Machiel.
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Good to have you back Machiel!

Just so everyone is clear the car you refer to is the one I mentioned on my first posting in February 2007 - VOC 365

Good to hear it is still about and being enjoyed.

Cheers

Mark
machiel kalf

Post by machiel kalf »

Hallo Mark and other +4 friends,

The VOC 365 is in Holland. The owner is Fiete van der Grinten. He has his TR restaurationshop in Enschede. (Eastside of Holland.)

Best regards,

Machiel.
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

I see that our latest new member to BHP is Alan House, welcome, but is this the one and the same Alan House that raced a Plus 4's in the 60's under the registration number MOG 1 which we think could have been the ex Adrian Dence /Brian Kendal car the infamous 818 AOA of which I have many period photo's of the car and has cropped up on this tread many times. If so this could be very interesting to learn more about the 60's' period of Plus 4 racing. Fingers crossed.
Richard
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello all,

Can someone kindly remind me whose Morgan bore the registration 3 FLH, competed in Rallies and the Brighton Speed Trials as I recall.

Many Thanks

Andy
'Skipper'
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Andy - I have given Machiel chapter and verse!

Cheers

Mark