Willhire 24

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Willhire 24

Post by Bob Bull »

I append a copy of the Press Release concerning the Willhire 25 Hour race, in which the 'Bulldog Morgan Team' gets a mention.

PRESS RELEASE

18 February 2014

For Immediate Release

THE WILLHIRE REUNION IS ON!

A CELEBRATION OF BRITAIN'S OWN 24-HOUR RACE

The Reunion event to celebrate Britain's first 24-Hour race has been confirmed for 18 October this year. The 2-hour race - evocatively running into darkness - will celebrate the 'Production Class' sports and touring cars (plus the later Group N cars) which contested the fabled Willhire 24-Hour Race events from 1980 to 1994.

The event has been devised by ex-Willhire driver and HRDC Race Director, Julius Thurgood, in conjunction with the original administrator of the 'Willhire' - the BRSCC. Drew Furlong, Competition Director of the BRSCC, goes on record: "Whilst I may not have been present for all the Willhire 24-Hour events, I have been privileged to have been involved with at least four of them, so I understand the camaraderie of the event and the many memories that it holds for competitors."

Julius Thurgood has been busy behind the scenes in getting this event off the drawing board and onto the track. "The spiritual home of the Willhire is Snetterton, but we ran into planning problems with the night racing aspect of the Willhire Reunion. Despite the best efforts of the team at MSV, we were at an impasse with Snetterton's licence.

"Thankfully, Christopher Tate and his team at Donington came to the rescue and we now have the go-ahead to run this race into darkness on the National circuit at Donington Park on 18 October. Having canvassed the opinions of many of the original Willhire drivers, the vote was unanimous that this specific element of the original events be incorporated into the Willhire Reunion".

To date, the HRDC has contact with the owners of over 35 original Willhire cars and the count is rising on a daily basis. But Thurgood is keen to get the message across that cars of the type which ran in the original Willhire events would also be made welcome. "Of course, we will give preference to an entry with an original Willhire car, but we do realise that there are some very good cars out there that would also fit the bill for the Willhire Reunion, so hopefully we will be able to take these onto the grid at Donington in October, too - especially if they are prepared to 'adopt' an original Willhire livery".

A cross-section of the original Willhire cars already committed to this event are: the ex-Pete Hall / Andy Rouse Opel Commodore GS/E 2.8, the Willhire 25th Anniversary winning Ford Sierra Cosworth of Slim Borgudd / Mark Hales, the ex-Jon Dooley 'Napolina' Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV, the 'Bulldog' Team Morgan Plus 8, the 1985-winning Ford Capri of Roy Eaton / David Oates / John Clarke, the Nissan Skyline of Andy Middlehurst and the MGB Roadster of Julius Thurgood / John Trevelyan / Graeme Davis / Rae Davis.

- ends -

To obtain more details about entering this unique event, please go to:

http://hrdc.eu/willhire_24hr_reunion.html

or contact:

JULIUS THURGOOD

Mobile: 07850 361159

Email: direct@juliusthurgood.co.uk

Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Willhire 24

Post by Mary Lindsay »

It is starting to look as though it will happen!
Team Bulldog are sharpening their teeth….
Alan House
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Alan House »

Hi Mary
Sounds exciting; Do you know the names of the 'Team Bulldog' members by any chance?
I look forward to meeting you when the season starts.
Regards
Alan
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Alan,

I look forward to meeting you too, will you be at Snetterton?

1980 Bulldog Team: Mary Lindsay, John Lindsay, Mike Duncan, Peter Garland, John MacDonald, Patrick Keen
1981 Bulldog Team: Mary Lindsay, John Lindsay, Mike Duncan, Peter Garland, Mike Robson, Dave Saunter
1982 Bulldog Team: Mary Lindsay, John Lindsay, Mike Duncan, Peter Garland, Jim Deacon, Richard Casswell
1983 Bulldog Team: Mary Lindsay, John Lindsay, Jim Deacon, Tim Sisson, Dave Saunter, Leigh Sebba
1984 Bulldog Team: Mary Lindsay, John Lindsay, Bob Cook, Mike Duncan

Proposed drivers for reunion are Mary Lindsay, Leigh Sebba and Jack Bellinger; Peter Garland is investigating reviving his race licence…..
Alan House

Post by Alan House »

Hi Mary

Yes, I intend doing the track day at Snetterton 25th March and I have my entry confirmed for Snetterton 12th/13th April. Sadly, I'll not have time to get my National A so I can't get to Zandvoort this year!
Let's hope for some dry weather.

Regards

Alan
Eddie Singleton

Post by Eddie Singleton »

Good morning Mary,
I notice the 1981 team included a Mike Robson. Was this the same Mike Robson who resided in the Oldham/Manchester area and was chair of the local north west group in or around that time. If so, I recall he had a red/orange coloured +4 which was quite a quick car. I have some photos of it but cannot make out the registration number. I have previously made enquiries as to his/its whereabouts but to no avail.....wonder where it is now ?
Regards,
Eddie Singleton.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Hi Eddie,
Yes it is the same man.
He owned the Plus 4 that was previously raced by Ray Meredith - XOV555, it then went to Bob Fawkes, Rick Bourne and then Adrian Van der Kroft who I understand still owns it.
The car is now red.
Best wishes,
Mary
Andy Downes

Post by Andy Downes »

Mary Lindsay wrote:He owned the Plus 4 that was previously raced by Ray Meredith - XOV555, it then went to Bob Fawkes, Rick Bourne and then Adrian Van der Kroft who I understand still owns it.
For completeness, Rick Bourne sold XOV to Morgan Racer Chris Phillips from whence it went to Adrian VDK. I believe.

The rather strange red/orange colour - Rick always referred to it as 'British Racing Rhubarb' . He painted it a proper red when he rebuilt it after being collected by an errant spinning competitor at Silverstone.

I remember Mike Robson drove his two-tone (brown/cream) +8 to Snetterton for the Willhire - on the motorway a stub axle failed and he watched the front wheel disappear ahead of him :o This proved a minor inconvenience though as during the 24 hour race Mary's +8 JEK rolled at Coram, and Mike Duncan's similar car spun into the pit wall and was written off. Our Team then became a singleton entry with Mike's car the only one left running - we finished the race though and Mike drove it uneventfully home.

Have Fun 8-)
Last edited by Andy Downes on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Skipper'
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

We were awarded the Drivers of the Day prize…..
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mary Lindsay wrote:We were awarded the Drivers of the Day prize…..
In what event, the Demolition Derby?
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

In what event, the Demolition Derby?
You can be very unkind…... [-X