HSCC May Historic Road Sports

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

HSCC May Historic Road Sports

Post by Bob Bull »

Congratulations to Richard Plant, Robin Pearce and Bruce Stapleton on a fantastic 1,2,3 at Silverstone on Saturday in the Historic Road Sports Championship race. Peter Shaw started his Lotus Elan from pole with Richard alongside him, and from the start they battled mightily with Robin also taking his turn in front, however, the Lotus soon retired to the pits leaving the two Morgan Pus 8's fighting hard at the front of the field, neither able top establish a clear lead.
After the compulsory pit stops the battle continued, while Bruce was making steady progress through the pack before getting to grips with Andy Shepherd's rapid Lotus 7 S2. Going into the complex with just a lap to go Richard squeezed past an MG into Brooklands, gaining a small advantage over Robin's car, however, a good exit from Copse almost saw the white car take the lead, but Richard in his maroon model hung on to take a narrow victory. Bruce hounded the Lotus of Shepherd, and with a cunning move out of Brooklands with a lap to go, managed to get alongside the Seven with an errant MG blocking a move up the inside at the next corner.
Roddie Fielden, Sam Spindlow, Tim Pearce, and Kevin Kivlochan also drove Morgans, while Simon Gurney tried his hand with an MGA Coupe.

Great racing, beautiful weather, and a resounding triumph for the Malvern Marque.

Picture soon to be available on the usual site.

Bob.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Re: HSCC May Historic Road Sports

Post by Bob Bull »

Pictures now on site.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Bob,

Great report- it captures much of the excitement of a really great race.

Well done to all three of you...

Does anyone know whether this is a first for Morgans racing in a non all Morgan race?

1,2,3 for Morgans. I think a truly historic result.

And well done to all the other Morgan racers... Kevin who started at the back of the grid due to a duff dizi but finished an extremely creditable 7th, right behind Roddy 6th in his Moss Box Plus 8 and Sam who was second in class in his Plus 4, (looking lovely! ) and 25th overall out of 44 still running at the end of the 30 minute race with a compulsory 45 second pit stop.

Well done one and all.

Three cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I might have done someone an injustice (not a Morgan driver so who cares?), I gather that Andy Shepherd was driving an AC Ace, so either there are two Andy Shepherds or the Lotus 7 was driven by A N Other.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Sorry to miss you Bob as I was passing through en route to Morgan car trial near Birmingham

But yes a great race and lots of Morgans and other Mog folk driving non-Morgans

I think Marks impression of a lovely Sam Spindlow is not because of Sam himself :?: – more to do with the car’s previous owner
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

What a fantastic result, it must have been very exciting to watch. To prove that motor racing has the greatest highs and lows of any sport let me compare the result at Silverstone with the experience of your Morgan pilote’s at the Spa Classic this weekend.
It was carnage for the three Morgan’s competing in the 2 hour 60’s Endurance race on Saturday and clearly the good fortune experienced at Silverstone did not extend to Belgium as each car experienced damage at some point in the race. Things started promisingly for Keith and Billy in their SLR as Billy left everyone open-mouthed with a 2:58.6 qualifying time putting them 5th on the grid ahead of many Cobra’s and the rest of us speculating whether this is the quickest time around Spa in a +4 (Mark Shears or Richard Plant will know, I’m sure). Bill and I in the SLR qualified on 26th (unresolved engine issues, possibly water in the fuel, meant we never really got going) and the Kremer’s in XRX qualified in 31st.
So, what happened in the race? The first incident involved me being spun going up Eau Rouge by a Porsche 911 that chopped across the front of me as he came back on the track, causing damage to the front nearside corner and I just kissed the tyre wall before stopping. After returning to the pits for a check over we re-joined in last place and ultimately finished 24th. Secondly, the Kremer’s were punted in the back going into the Bus Stop by an errant Lotus. Again, a visit to the pits for Brett to straighten things out meant they resumed the race to finish 26th. Thirdly, Keith and Billy were having a fantastic race maintaining their high grid position until sadly on lap 28 Keith was hit at La Source whilst lapping an E-type. Damage to the front wing rubbing on the nearside wheel meant they couldn’t continue. As Billy said their damage was “bigger and better” than anyone else’s!
Maybe we would have been better off at Silverstone………
John Emberson
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

It sounds as if those Johnny Foreigners have got it in for Le Morgans! It seems a bit bish, bash bosh, maybe there was a prize for who could cause the most damage to Le Rosbifs'.
I should stick to nice gentle English Clubbie's if I were you John.

Come to Donington for the MSCC, and I will tell everyone to be nice to you.

Cheers,

Bob.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Very disappointed to hear about the Morgan boys coming together with errant competitors. It is not on...

But Billys hot quali lap must be the fastest ever for a 4 cylinder Morgan - or any other 4 cylinder sports car for that matter!

Pleased you are all unharmed and hope there is not too much work for Brian, Brett and of course Billy.

Cheers

Mark
JERRY KNIGHT

Post by JERRY KNIGHT »

Nice pictures Bob and good to see you .