jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: Birkett Relay.....Morgan +8 No 9.

Post by jack bellinger »

Thicket as a plank springs to mind !
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

jack bellinger wrote:Thicket as a plank springs to mind !
You have really gone out on a limb this time, I'm calling the copse, Jack! I'll dial nine tree times.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

They'll probably give him the birch.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I have heard rumours of a team of Morgans being entered in the Birkett by a group of new entrants to the sport. Can anyone confirm or deny the following list of drivers taking part;

Malvern Maulers.

I.C. Rhodes.
Ray Lings
L Bowes
Greg or Ian Chant.
Saul Peter
Will O'Patten.

Cars are all Replica Series 1's, uprated and featuring active ride suspension, V8 Cosworth engines, and special streamlined bodywork developed in the Red Bull wind tunnel.

Team Manager is expected to be a former England Football Team Manager from Latvia.

Sponsorship comes from Walmart, and the Somalian government.

Ace News Hound.

BB.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Bob, it is good to see that you haven't lost your nose for a news story….

I heard there was another team including
Raoul Barr
Manny Folds
Sef T. Belt
Mustav Lostit
Helmut Visor
Ray Singline

The manager of this lot is Kooden Runnar, formerly from a project involving a brewery booze-up which failed.
They are all driving Morgans with the revolutionary wooden chassis of which one reads and hears so much in the motoring press and radio reports.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mary Lindsay wrote:Bob, it is good to see that you haven't lost your nose for a news story….

I heard there was another team including
Raoul Barr
Manny Folds
Sef T. Belt
Mustav Lostit
Helmut Visor
Ray Singline

The manager of this lot is Kooden Runnar, formerly from a project involving a brewery booze-up which failed.
They are all driving Morgans with the revolutionary wooden chassis of which one reads and hears so much in the motoring press and radio reports.

Three out of ten! Must do better.
Regards
Alan House
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Alan House »

Hi
On a more serious note, I would like to wish the lone Morgan team, Morgans for Fun, well in the Birkett and hope they can produce a good result!
Regards
housie
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Howdy Housie, there are also three additional Morgans entered, two in a team mysteriously named 'Kathy & C0'. while Paul Bryant is entered in HCAAC "The Aeros". Teams 52 & 51 respectively.

Should anyone intend attending, better bone-up on Caterhams! There are an awful lot of 'em.

Bob
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Congratulations to the Morgans For Fun team who finished the Birkett in (I believe) 10th spot on handicap, and with all cars running faultlessly, and avoiding any of the incidents that interrupted the race. There were at least three safety car sessions, one lasting forty minutes after a particularly nasty crash involving a Radical, and a driver being airlifted to hospital. As always the Morgan pit was the place to be for scrounging media types (Yes, Charles was there), and anyone else who wandered by. Getting too close to Marlene Bury meant getting a bacon butty forced into your hand, that lady would not take no for an answer. Kate and Mary plus some whose names I did not record provided an enormous amount of comestibles, dazzling in variety, and to every possible taste.

Drivers were, Barry, Paul, Roger, Richard, Tim and Simon. All driving Morgans I believe.

As always there was far more than could be consumed in any normal gathering, so Samuel Harrison was detailed to force feed Cheese Straws to anyone he could get in front of.

Cathy's Clowns* featured two Morgan drivers, but no one took any notice, apart from yours truly wielding a camera trackside.

Pictures to be on the usual web site shortly.

Thanks to all for their friendship and food.

Bob.

* Oops! Cathy and Co. Sorry Doc.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Rather a lot of pictures from the race are now on the usual site.

I have tended put up virtually everything I took although not all are of good quality, but may just be the one you have been waiting for.

For the uninitiated, click on the 'Skydrive' link below.

Enjoy.

Bob.
Regards
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Everybody,

As some of you will know I have been involved in the Birkett for a very long time (started in 1976, won in 1978, retired in 1990s, lured into a comeback by Simon OG and Mary Lindsay in 2000, won again in 2001, and still here trying 15 years later) and I can do no better than to echo all Simon’s sentiments at the time – A Great Day !

On the day Morgans For Fun were;

Barry Sumner 4/4 4str
Paul Burry +8
Stuart Adamson +8
Roger Whiteside +8
Tim Harrison 4/4 turbo
Simon Oerbi Gann Roadster Lwt

I have had a look through the results and hour-by-hour we were :-

Handicap – 1hour 50th – 2hours 48th – 3hours 28th – 4hours 24th – 5hours 10th – 6hours 12th - 2 laps behind the winners and 1 lap behind 5th .
Scratch – 1hour 61st – 2hours 42nd – 3hours 39th – 4hours 34th – 5hours 28th – 6hours 25th – 15 laps behind the outright winners.

As you can see we were Ranked 41st on Scratch before the race and managed to finish 25th on the road which is quite remarkable.

Full Race Results are here - http://www.750mc.co.uk/ugc-1/1/41/0/478 ... 23c641.pdf where you will find all the times for all the teams for all the laps, they are comprehensive to say the least.

I was also surprised that there were 94 minutes behind the Safety Car which is over 1/4 of the race !.

Everyone thinks it is the Manager’s Team, but the truth is that Kate and Simon do all the legwork and without them it probably wouldn’t happen.

My special Thanks to the Old Hands and New Hands alike, and to all our loyal friends and helpers who make it such Fun, and particular mention to our pictorial scribe Bob for all his photographs.

Roll on 2015 when we get the chance to do it all again :)

Best Wishes

Andy
'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Sunday Times a week ago had an article by James Mills who entered in a MX5. He says that Steve McQueen entered a Mini in this race in 1962 – no doubt Bob was there and has some photos of the event ? Also a comment about AC/DC’s Brian Johnson spinning his rather powerful MG into the pit wall