H&H Auctions 25th. Feb

Race chatter
Bob Bull

H&H Auctions 25th. Feb

Post by Bob Bull »

Lot Number: 51 1961 Morgan Plus 4 Super Sports Click here for further photographs Estimate: (£) 70,000 - 80,000 Reg Number:Un-RegChassis Number:5004Engine Number:TS82112Cc:2000Body Colour: Brunswick GreenTrim Colour:BiscuitMOT ExpiryDate: Images copyright Tim Wallace- 1 of only 96 two-seater Super Sports made by the factory- Despatched on November 6th 1961 to marque concessionaire Fergus Motors of New York- Built to left-hand drive, USA specification with wire wheels, disc brakes and Lawrence tuned engine- An early example complete with High Line bodywork and cream-faced gauges (including 140mph speedometer)- Previously resident in Santa Monica and garaged alongside another iconic sportscar - a Shelby Cobra - as part of a private American collection - Current engine sports a Lawrence Tune rocker cover, twin-choke Weber carburettors and tubular exhaust manifolds etc- Morgan Motor Company Ltd Chassis Record to confirm provenance- MOT'd until Feb 2016Further Info:Identified by its accompanying Morgan Motor Company Ltd Chassis Record as a genuine +4 Super Sports two-seater (1 of just 96 made), chassis 5004 was built for the American market complete with wire wheels, disc brakes and Lawrence tuned engine. Initially finished in Broken White with Red leather upholstery, the Morgan was despatched to marque concessionaire Fergus Motors of New York on 6th November 1961. Whether or not the Super Sports was used for competition by first owner Miss Brown is unknown. Though, the copy warranty card on file reveals that its original engine suffered problems due to a faulty oil cooler. The replacement unit currently fitted is believed to have been sourced from a Triumph TR3A (engine number TS31276E) but sports an authentic Lawrence Tune rocker cover, tubular exhaust manifolds and twin-choke Weber carburettors.The correct chassis number is stamped under the offside seat and the Morgan is said to pleasingly retain its original four-speed manual gearbox (number 2688R) which was overhauled in 2008. An early Super Sports featuring `High Line' bodywork and cream-faced instruments (including 140mph speedometer), chassis 5004 apparently acquired its present Brunswick Green livery and Biscuit leather upholstery during the 1980s whilst undergoing restoration at Reg Beer coachworks of Ontario, Canada.Part of a private Californian collection and garaged alongside a Shelby Cobra prior to being repatriated in 2009, the two-seater had all import duties paid at the time but has yet to be UK road registered. Although, the vendor has just obtained a MOT pass for the Morgan which should facilitate the process. - See more at: http://www.classic-auctions.com/Auction ... vy22A.dpuf
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Re: H&H Auctions 25th. Feb

Post by peter rafter »

Bob, see +4 super sports thread on 4 cylinder Morgan category.
You can then exchange informative banter with Mark, Simon, Machiel,John , Leigh etc should any appear at the Pom
I may be mistaken but I thought this car was for sale in the NE of England last year
peter
Bob Bull

Re: H&H Auctions 25th. Feb

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter, as you realise the only thing I know about Morgans is what I see through a camera lens, so any mention of them in Press Releases etc that come my way I tend to stick on BHP. I may be wrong to do so. 8-[

Anyway when I endeavoured to add a lighter note to a serious discussion elsewhere I was chastised by some bloke from Australia. Well not from Australia but in Australia at the time. You can't win on BHP I have discovered.

How is Sheffield these days, is it snowbound?

Wishing you a sailor's farewell,

Uncle Bob. aka Foggy.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards