Fibreglass Morgan body

Race chatter
Jochem Kentgens

Fibreglass Morgan body

Post by Jochem Kentgens »

Anyone out there familiar with an aftermarket product of a fibreglass body for a morgan?

I found here http://www.fibreglass-mouldings-cambs.co.uk/ at the website of Sid Watson the following: "Complete 2-seater lightweight replacement body units, including doors: 4/4 and +8". Does that mean no wood and everything fibreglass?

I wonder if anyone of you is familiar with this...? It must be light, but is it stiff and safe enough for racing?

Jochem
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Re: Fibreglass Morgan body

Post by Andy Green »

Some Class A&B Race Cars in the Morgan Challenge are fitted with fibreglass wings/spoilers and Sid is the supplier(and has been for years)

This is allowed under the regs

However a full fibreglass body is not allowed other than in the invitation class by prior agreement
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jochem,

I had one of these complete lightweight fibreglass bodies - and it was very light!

I bought it off a garage on the South Coast of England who advertised it on Ebay complete with fibreglass wings, doors and cowl. The whole lot.

I only wanted the front and rear offside wings to replace the damaged right side (drivers) side after 'a racing incident' when a spinning MG Midget took out the whole length of that side of the Morgan (he was facing me when he hit me at Copse!)

It was complete spare set from a lightweight hillclimb Morgan they prepared and ran for the owner who had now given up.

As Andy says it is NOT eligible for racing (unless invited). I even think it would now be frowned upon for hillclimbing too.

I sold it on this very forum a couple of years ago to a guy who was rebuilding an old 4/4 for fast road use.

Cheers

Mark
Jochem Kentgens

Thanks Andy and Mark,

I am thinking about it for a 4/4 track day car, no FIA rules, nothing... It will definately be easier and cheaper then anything else.... it already has plastic wings so it will make a very light car....and people will most probably not be able to tell the difference from a normal Morgan anyway....;-)

With a tuned 1600 CC crossflow in and on semi slicks it will fly I guess....

The plus four is about originality....this thing can be about fun.....
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Hi Jochem,

Mary posted a picture of one of the "Tupperware" Morgans in a Topic on the Birkett race.

The fountain of obscure knowledge (Mark Shears) added the following detail:

Alan Kennedy - 4/4 Lightweight Special
Alan built 2 of these Lightweights one Gold and one in Blue, Morgan chassis but fibreglass bodies and no ash frame, I saw one for sale a while back but who has them now ? One is being sprinted by Mike Hughes

Hope this helps

Tim
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Tim Clark (Class C) now has one of the two cars that Alan built and sees Alan regularly.

Why not send Tim a PM and he might be able to give you some information about these two very interesting cars.

Before the Challenge was formed in 1985 I used to organise Morgan races or classes within other races whenever I could persuade organisers to let us come along as otherwise the BDC Silverstone meeting was the only event where we could race together as a marque.

Alan always supported Morgan races before the Challenge was formed and this was welcomed, but unfortunately his cars were deemed not to conform with the new series regulations and he was unable to join us after that. Now that we have the Invitation class things have changed but It was a pity that an enthusiastic competitor like Alan was no longer able to drive his lightweight cars.
Jochem Kentgens

Thanks Mary and Tim, this helps....and I like the nickname tupperware Morgan...;-)

Will see if I can contact Tim Clark, thanks again!

Jochem