Peter Garland's Run

Races, track days, testing ...
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Peter Garland's Run

Post by Mary Lindsay »

By now you will have received Peter Garland's email about his sponsored run.

I have heard on the grapevine that some of you have not heard of him! :shock:

For these unfortunates, let me put the record straight:

Peter has been competing in Morgans with devastating success since the 1970s. He has at one time or another won trophies for fastest Morgan up most hillcllimbs, competed in 3 Willhire 24 hour races, won the Morgan Challenge in 1997, won the Morgan Sports Car Club Challenge Shield umpteen times and has loyally supported Morgan motor sport in one form or another for over 30 years.
Last year he was part of Keith Ahlers' Morgan team in the Britcar "Willhire" 24 hour race at Silverstone.

I have to say that I never expected to see the day when he would use his own two feet instead of four wheels to take part in a race! :wink: but I wish him all success in such a good cause.
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

In these days of trailering, testing, rules and regulations there are certain Garland stories, some of which may be true – such as that he turned up for practice at Snett straight from a party and still wearing a Dinner Jacket.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

There are plenty of Garland stories, and that one is probably true.

There was the occasion at the club sprint at Goodwood when Garland's "Old Nail" lacked a bonnet strap. Nothing daunted, he found a smart length of baling twine and used that. I have a photo of him somewhere, proudly posing with his car sporting the new accessory.

At one of the Willhire 24 hour races Garland was accompanied by one of his glamorous ladyfriends (before he was married!). He was driving late at night and on the stroke of midnight the team radio crackled into life, causing our Team Manager to panic. As it was the lady's birthday Garland was calling to wish her many happy returns.

Of one thing we could always be sure, if anyone could coax an ailing car home it was Peter Garland. In 1981, the year when we crashed two of our three team cars in the 24 hour, Peter was tasked with driving the remaining car home on 3/4 throttle because the cable had broken and the only repair possible in the time involved shortening it to 3/4 length. We still came home 6th.
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

More of an image than a story - but if Peter had been a young man during the war he would have flown a Spitfire, worn a white silk scarf, and driven an MG ! - oh and always been first and last in the bar...

Then there's the time in the 2005 Britcar 24 hour race when his faithful old brown racing-shoe came off when he was getting in/out during a driver change - it had to be retrived from the footwell before we could proceed.

I think the birthday lady's name at Snetterton was Fiona if my memory serves me correctly.

And finally, he's the only person who can call my wife 'Nicky' without her getting cross (her name is always Nicola).

Have (Ghastly) Fun
8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'
keith.ahlers
Tech Comm

Post by keith.ahlers »

Peter Garland is the fastest Morgan driver I have ever raced. His car control is awesome.
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

keith.ahlers wrote:Peter Garland is the fastest Morgan driver I have ever raced. His car control is awesome.
That's quite possibly the Garland story to end all Garland stories !

Have (Ghastly) Fun
8-) 8-) 8-)
'Skipper'