Spotted in Athens

Race chatter
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Spotted in Athens

Post by SimonScott »

Earlier this month I spent a most enjoyable weekend in Athens soaking up the historical sites. I also found the Hellenic Motor Museum located only a short walk from the National Archaeological Museum. I visited both but it was the Motor Museum that I visited first! What a splendid surprise, well worth the visit if anyone else travels that way. Over three floors of a contemporary block there are all sorts of goodies to drool over, many purchased at auction in the UK. Alfa 6C and multiple Italian exotica nestle alongside Astons, Triumphs, Bristols, Healeys, MGs.... and an Morgan, hence this post. As you will see it is a 4/4 dating from 1974 Image
The registration number is ANW 627M and the previous owner would appear to have been a MSCC member, see Image
But what intrigued me most was that it is displayed with a roll bar - was it used in anger in the UK before being taken to Greece: Image
I would be interested to know if anyone knows any competition history relating to this car...

In another part of the museum there was a photo montage including this rather out of focus image showing car 31 in GP class complete with a rather uncomfortable passenger holding a chequered flag. Anyone able to identify? Image

Many thanks to Mary for making it possible for me to post these images... I have some more Morgans from museums down under which I must look out sometime!
TTFN
Simon
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Re: Spotted in Athens

Post by Leigh Sebba »

From the web.......(the reg number seems a bit mysterious but is ANW in the photo)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128691640 ... morgancars

ANW 627M
1974 Morgan 4/4.
H&H classic car auction at Buxton. Catalogue description -
"Chassis Number:B3202
Engine Number:3F15A1606
Finished in green with black vinyl upholstery............ 'TPT 374M' is said to have had its rollover bar fitted by a previous owner (but to have never seen competition usage).....
PLEASE NOTE: This vehicle now has the registration number ANW627M and not the number which appears in the catalogue."
Sold for £6700. Last taxed in January 2007 and last MoT test expired in June 2007.
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Thank you "Super Sleuth Sebba"! =D>
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Simon, Epharisto for you posting on your visit to Athens, the pearl of Attica. But what did Greece or the Greeks ever do for us in Yorkshire? (regularly debated in the clandestine meetings of the popular front for the liberation of Yorkshire), Notwithstanding this, I await with fervent anticipation your follow up report on the Joys you garnered of the nuances and modern day relevance of Greek mythology and tragedy (merely parroting Aristotle , Sophocles ,Aeschylus and Euripedes will lose marks). I do not resent being force fed at too early an age at Skool the complexities of the classics ( but i have faint memory that Miss X who taught Greek had a better moustache then poor Mr Y who struggled to teach Latin.)
ps
Todays weather in Athens and Yorkshire ——Scorchio
pps
Yasso , Signomi then milow ellenica.
regards
peter
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

Eh up Peter
As a rebel in my younger days, I let the revolt at my Prep School to stop us being taught Latin so I am afraid the mysteries of the ancient philosophers largely passed me by! And my old classics master doesn't sound nearly as attractive as your mustachioed Miss X... Our Gordon "Flogger" Flex was far better known for setting fire to his sports jacket when placing his still alight pipe into one of its pockets... we never liked to point this out until the smoke was billowing quite nicely... :evil:
But, perchance, I can report that the influence of classical Greece did spread to deepest Yorkshire - indeed it was the subject of a recent blog by yours truly on my company website entitled "By'eck – was Yorkshire inspired by Greece?" which relates how the Marble Hall at Wentworth Woodhouse incorporates a pair of plaques almost identical to Haddonstone’s Griffin Plaque. The person responsible for these Griffin Plaques was none other than James "Athenian" Stuart (1713-1788) – the key name in the Greek Revival style of architecture in England. If you really want to know more, have a look at http://www.haddonstone.com/en-gb/byeck- ... red-greece
Bet you wished you hadn't asked now!!! :lol:
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Shame on you Mr. Scott. Your blatant mis-use of the Loose Torque forum (from the Greek I believe) to advertise bird baths and other garden features by stealth is quite disgraceful. The proper place for retail is in the For Sale section, where in the past I have had some success in disposing of old sporting equipment.

Your attempts to blindside our Northern colleague into purchasing flowers, and marble garden ornaments for his Leeds Council flat could lead to a massive increase in the National Debt should he dig out his Midland Bank cheque book and actually spend money on something other than a Morgan.

Disgusted of Luton.

Dear Friend Compo. Nil carborundum .......................!

Foggy.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
SimonScott

Post by SimonScott »

It's a fair cop, guv'nor! :cry:
I just fell in with the wrong crowd... :shock:
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

SimonScott wrote:It's a fair cop, guv'nor! :cry:
I just fell in with the wrong crowd... :shock:
That sums up the Morgan Cub fairly well, I suppose. [-o<
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

What is puzzling, nay alarming is how , on his surreptitious visit to Gods Own County, alone in its defence of Sceptred Isle, (this blessed plot, this earth, this precious stone, this realm, this Yorkshire ) Simon managed to avoid our strict immigration controls. In mitigation, albeit still inexcusable, it could be that the Yorkshire County Obergruppenfuhrer may have been otherwise engaged , probably advising London and even Brussels on our Four Freedoms (proper beer, bad weather, intolerance and cricket— the latter played in intolerable weather with bad beer) .
As a result of this breach we will be seeking a further tightening and reform of the immigration policy and the imposition of enhanced penalties on those who knowingly flout and abuse it.
To quote our beloved Leader “Ah do declare we need a wall. Whats more them southern wussies should pay for all. God bless y’all”
peter
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

I presume these immigration controls will be particularly strict for Yorkshireman in shorts trying to enter the beautiful south?!!
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Looks like GP class is GRP replica class to me.
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Oh beloved John who doth reside in mangel-wurzel territoire alongside Messrs Ayres and Potter , jest not!
Immigration controls area a serious issue to all right thinking bigots who are constant in their efforts to maintain and safeguard the purity of Gods Own County. I am of course and without sanctimony totally opposed to immigration. I have had nothing but trouble and problems with immigrants to Yorkshire ever since i came here from Worcestershire many moons ago.
ps
many moons ago I believed in free love. It was all I could afford.
peter