Race chatter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Dear All,
I am planning to write a piece about the very first Challenge in 1985, I intend (at this stage) to write it as a Review of the season much like 2017. Despite my great age and vast knowledge of motor sport, I have to confess as to knowing only what can be found on Mary's (excellent) web site about the start of the series.
Should anyone have results/entry lists/photos from that season they would be willing to share I would be most grateful, also if the opportunity arises in the coming weeks to have a chat that would be most helpful.

I do not know if anyone has ever recorded the initial season before, so if I am wasting my time - that would also be good to know.

Thank you, in advance,

Bob Bull.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
john bevan

Re: 1985

Post by john bevan »

Try Mike Hughes the MSCC archivist, I'm sure there will be a report in Miscellany from the season
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Bob,

How much do you want ?

Being in at the begining as a founder and as the Series Administrator, I have the early season's results and plenty of background !

Where are you planning to publish ?

Have Fun and let me know.
Andy
'Skipper'
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I have some photos from that first season and all of the results too. I have also given Bob the article written by Richard Casswell for Miscellany.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Many thanks for your replies, is good to know that a wealth of information is available, it make my idea look a little more realistic. Having little knowledge concerning the start of the Challenge, it occurred to me that there must be many in a similar position, my original concept was a 'Season Review' briefly touching on the races, however, maybe something more like a complete history of the birth of the Challenge might be possible and preferable. This might be of interest to a wider audience than just a short article in a magazine, The pioneers deserve nothing less - surely?

With that in mind I look forward to viewing the material and interviewing the survivors over the coming months.

Advance orders can be made at greatly reduce price ......................... :D
Regards
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

Can I place my advance order? Having finally met the legendary Andy Downes at Race Retro (good to meet you Andy), I am sure there are many tales to tell - so please get writing Bob! :OO:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

...and plenty of period photos to illustrate please...!

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Following discussions with Mary I have concluded that I should take a more detailed look at 1985, so rather than a short 'seasons review' I have decided to try and write a history of the complete initial season. Mary advises me that she is not aware of this being done before. I think it a worthwhile project even though it might never get published, but copies could be provided on a CD if wanted.

With this in mind I would ask anyone who has material or memories of the races to let me know and arrange to obtain copies and where possible record them for use in the article.

Mary (God Bless her) has sent me copies of photos recording some of her glorious past, and I would love to have more, at least to keep Mark happy.

All contributions will be acknowledged and due credit given.
Obviously race meetings would be an ideal time to talk about things so if you can help and will be at a race do let me know.

Andy, you sound as if you could virtually write this yourself, do you live in Tring? If maybe we could meet up sometime and sort things out.

Many thanks for your interest,

Bob
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Bob, I have just shared with you via Dropbox scans of the all the programmes, entry lists, practice times and results plus the Spencer Formula.

That should keep you going for a while!
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Dinner at Rick Bourne,s Mums
and a lot of Expensive Port
The rest is a Blurr
Kelvin Laidlaw
Morgan Class D

Post by Kelvin Laidlaw »

Bob
This is a brilliant idea. I too am 'a survivor' of the 1985 season. My life really did change from the day I arrived at Castle Combe for my first race. I would be happy to ransack my memory to help.

Kelvin
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Thanks Kelvin, I look forward to interviewing you in true BBC style.
Regards
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

Have had a rummage and will bring file of programmes and results from 1985 and also from 1984 so you can see what it arose from. 1984 did many roadsports races which used to include half a dozen or so Morgan cars. Big differences from today are that most drove to the circuit, very little testing or preparers back up at track, and that I was quite near the front !

I stopped racing for a few years In the 1990s and one of the jobs to the car when I restarted was to remove the baby seat straps from the passenger seat as I used to drive with very young son to races and then give him to someone to hold while I was out on track. Probably one reason why he isn’t an enthusiastic car racer today !