Well Did He?

Race chatter
Bob Bull

Well Did He?

Post by Bob Bull »

Regular readers of this forum will probably have followed the thread in which, a certain person sought advice on how 'To Go Faster?',
Now that the season is over and the final race run, and the destination of assorted awards been decided, I feel it might be an opportune time to ask; "Did He Go Faster?"

Does evidence of any improvement in 'faster' exist? Can any such improvement be quantified, measured, noticed, even?

I understand, and be aware this is not my field of expertise (what is?), that the elapsed time taken to circulate a particular race track is normally used a as means of identifying 'faster', as an average, while terminal velocity on a straight bit of road, can also be taken as an indicator of progress.

I would not wish to embarrass the gentleman in question, so cast the query to the four winds and with hopeful heart, await any replies.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
peter rafter

Re: Well Did He?

Post by peter rafter »

The answer is Yes and No…

On a separate subject the anecdotal American view of History is that it is “just one damned thing after another”. In reality, and in case you haven’t noticed, Motor Racing is “just one damned expense after another”. Although this can pale into insignificance when compared to the highly questionable vast sums seemingly frittered away by the female members of the Rafter diaspora on “essentials” such as shoes and designer clothes.

Which brings me to a pressing recurrent theme. As a person of a certain age I am able to enjoy certain age related benefits. For example a haircut at a substantial reduction to the published tariff. This is not to be recommended in one area of my locality as said hairdresser is extremely short sighted, approaches the task in a wild movement not unrelated to a a St. Vitus dance , and has uncontrollable tremors and twitches in her hands whilst a tenuous grasp on an extremely sharp pair of scissors. It does not inspire confidence to those poor unfortunates mesmerised and transfixed in the high chair. (sticking plaster is supplied at no extra cost).

Additionally, there are the attendant state related benefits, e.g. Fuel allowance, Bus pass, Railcard and so on. There are also private sector enticements. Gym membership. Holidays. Even those charlatans and rogues of the Insurance industry have been known to offer discounts to those born of a certain age, (to be recouped at a later date at an extortionate multiple in subsequent premiums).

So! Why, for those of us (known as pensioners, perhaps also in otherwise derogatory terms. expressions and phrases) should we not also receive similar benefits such s reduced Race Entry Fees. Yes, there are more of us than you think,
(PLF for Old Timers). If You set the the bar higher, e.g. at three score and Ten there would still be grateful beneficiaries.
I intend to take this worthy subject up with my Class representative provided he has skipped over the remarks regarding the Insurance industry as a whole)
Hic.
ps
I asked my children that in that driving so slowly in comparison to the rest of the field “`are they rally so anxious and shocked that i might embarrass myself?” the answer was “Yourself , No!”
peter
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I suppose as old cars don’t pay road tax then perhaps old drivers shouldn’t pay race entry fees ?

I thought you were going to suggest a handicap system whereas we get a second or two a lap start for every year’s age over sixty.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I note that Compo, dodged the issue quite nicely, obfuscation, a smokescreen, evading the point of the query!

Clearly the answer is 'No he did not'
Regards
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

A review of TSL Timing to compare Peter's timings from Snetterton 300 in September 2018 with April 2017 would appear to conclusively prove that the sennapods are working for our seasoned campaigner... :shock:
Peter's qualifying in April 2017 was 2 minutes 34.160 seconds. Qualifying in September 2018 was 2 minutes 27.300 seconds. An improvement of 6.86 seconds... =D>
Peter's best race lap in April 2017 was 2 minutes 36.770 seconds. Best race lap in September 2018 was 2 minutes 26.502 seconds. An even more impressive improvement of 10.268 seconds... =D> =D>
Maybe Peter could pass on his driving tips and training regime to others in the Morgan Challenge who would, I am sure, all like to reduce their lap times by a similar margin!!! :lol:
There could even be a spare seat at Ferrari soon if Herr Vettel keeps making mistakes. Maybe they should be alerted to the "Yorkshire phenomenon" that is the legend we know as Peter Rafter? :O:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Simon! As always, right-up-to-date, with the technical details, and indeed the statistics are impressive, so much so that I felt constrained to compare the weather conditions for the two meetings. Based on some excellent photographic work I can assure the marvelling public that on both occasions the sun shone brightly on a dry surface, ruling out the possibility of track conditions accounting for the miracle.

I wonder if the re-classification of the Mighty Redcar has had an effect on performance, running in Class 'J' as it has this year?

The age of wonder has not yet passed.
Regards
gregparnell

Post by gregparnell »

Sir Peter,
Clearly you have gone much faster this season and this is backed up by Simon's forensic research. Please be assured that the insurance industry does not seek to discriminate on age alone - there are plenty of other reasons not to discount prices for senior clients. Despite what Bob Dylan wrote in one of his best songs "Desolation Row" ours is an honourable profession!
Uberimma Fides.
Your very umble servant.....
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Bob, Yes and No is the correct answer. I was indeed faster over previous years at some circuits and showed some improvement throughout (cue one handed clap), although I was struggling to master Dr. Jacks’ exemplary exercise regime. The splitting of the the former class B (into G and J) for this season helpfully removed some of the faster drivers, but left, regrettably many talented and quick Pilotes e.g. Phil, Tony, Andy, Gregg, Sarge, John. Still a challenge to be relished. Keep up the good work . I warm to your waspish humour.

Good idea Leigh, but under your suggested rules you would still have to start behind me, (although you pulled a fast one and sneaked past me in the Pit stop race at Snetterton when my attention was distracted as I perceived what i thought was a rare and unusual visitor to this shores, namely a lesser spotted flycatcher., (lesser spotted because it is so seldom seen) . I was unable to consult my RBA compendium of exotic birds and in the interim the rest of the field swept past without due consideration. Fortunately Young Tony Rivers came to the rescue.

Thank you Simon for not pointing out the progression in times still left me bereft of honours and sadly trailing the class. Clearly Carole is monitoring both your medication and wine intake. Don’t you miss the adrenaline rush of the Series? We miss you both.

Gregg, “Uberimma Fides”—i didn’t realise you spoke Spanish. Bob Dylan!! How could anyone sing so out of tune and yet be so successful? There must be hope for me with my warbling in the bathroom, However, whoever of the Brands Hatch Mafia suggested that you remove the hard top from your historic Aero with the resultant improvement in performance and times deserves full recognition. Is everyone aware of the interesting history of your steed. I am still drying out from Spa…
ps
reading the obituary column today (to check if i am still alive) it brings back so many memories to read, and I am delighted to quote :

“When Hancock is asked for a pint of blood he exclaims: “A pint? Why, that’s very nearly an armful!”

There is no happiness in this world today for a man of my intellect. So, I've decided the only solution is to become a recluse. I'm going back to nature! I'm going to renounce all my worldly goods and live in the woods…

"I wish I were a chestnut tree,
a-nourished by the sun,
with twigs and leaves and branches,
and conkers by the ton.”

and the last shall be the first, “Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?
RIP
peter
gregparnell

Post by gregparnell »

Sire,
I need to correct your misspelling of my name. At the font I was Gregory but my friends call me Greg - spelt with 3 Gs would not only be overdoing the consanents but would suggest a link to a popular pie shoppe!
yours
grovel grovel etc.....
SimonScott
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by SimonScott »

Dear Sir Peter
As Gregggg has pointed out your spelling irregularities, I feel compelled to do likewise.
The name of my beloved, who does indeed control both my medication and wine intake, is Carol not Carole. [-X
Now that we reside in North Yorkshire, I am in a position to know that (as I am sure you are aware) in Yorkshire the "e" is normally at the beginning of the word/sentence not at the end. For example: "E that Peter is a lot quicker this year than last. Happen that will be the ferrets in his nomex underwear". :lol:
Are ferrets the secret of your increased speed? Pray tell. [-o< Your disciples are clamouring to learn all your secrets... well, maybe not all your secrets as this is a family show... :oops:
Formerly #64 - Class E 4/4 Sport Comp and Class R Lwt Roadster...
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Greg, Mea culpa ( see, I also understand Spanish).
Gregory.. Do you often chant? Or did others at the Font?
Sticking with music, Robert Allen Zimmerman (later Dylan ) was more of a wordsmith than a tuneful singer, Like a Rolling Stone (i.e Jagger) who Freewheeled his way through the Changing Times, charming the Byrds with a Tambourine while wailing to Mummy over a blue baby which in the end was Alright!!
One critic (pseud) in the 60s wrote that it was imperative to have (musthave in the jargon of the day) his records in ones collection even though one didn’t like his songs. He came on stage with all the coordination of a Muffin the Mule puppet.
Shoulda stuck with Gregorian Chant.
regards
peter
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

Simon, mea maxima culpa. Thats bigly in Spanish
ps
As a seasoned rake and soak, my strong recommendation would be just don't let Carol know about Carole, or vice versa.
à tantôt
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

gregparnell wrote:Sire,
I need to correct your misspelling of my name. At the font I was Gregory but my friends call me Greg - spelt with 3 Gs would not only be overdoing the consanents but would suggest a link to a popular pie shoppe!
yours
grovel grovel etc.....

What a day for revelations, (not Revolutions) having believed that a certain member of the Morgan Fraternity was Chief Executive Officer of a well known chain of high street outlets supplying consumer comestibles to the general public, to find that the individual was not the conductor an Aero V8 was indeed a shock.
Because of the name I assumed that Greg was the proprietor of 'Parnell's Pie and Pastry Emporium'' s' which is why I always endeavoured to keep on the right side of him. My black I suppose, makes me a Class A idiot.

I should have realised that Simple Simon met a Pie Man ………….. he would have known the truth.

Dumbfounded.
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Congratulations, Peter on the marked improvement in performance in 2018. I offer this small tribute to your mastery of 'Going Faster'. and look forward to an even greater strides in 2019.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UrQoPSidZrToGXe26

Ann Admira.
Regards
TonyLees
Morgan Class B

Post by TonyLees »

Awesome :)
May I have your autograph?