Fireproof overalls

Technical queries or suggestions
john bevan

Fireproof overalls

Post by john bevan »

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I know from Simon Baines' article in Miscellany that I will need flameproof overalls- does this include gloves and boots or not?

thanks again,

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
David Frow

Post by David Frow »

Proban overalls are enough to keep the scrutineers happy and there is no requirement for gloves or boots at speed events, that choice is up to you.
David
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

John,
I have been watching your posts and the comments with interest,all sound comments, If I can offer my humble opinion, as far as seats, harness, overalls, boots,gloves and the like go, get the best that you can afford without going over the top. To be very blunt, if you do have a problem and God willing it will never happen, it is only you that is involved, so it is up to you how protected you want to be. I look forward to meeting you this season.

Cheers

Philip
Philip
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

The safety regulations for Sprinting and Hillclimbing differ greatly from Racing. Obviously safety is a primary concern and the addage of buy the best that you can afford is sound advice.

Before jumping in too deep though, I would suggest to any newcomer that they plan and budget their entry into the sport.

Many have jumped in at the deep end, spent lots of money on kit and car and expected to start winning events and setting hill records in their first season - only to be disappointed.

If possible, start in a standard car in a standard class. The standard seats are fine (Stormin' Norman still has a bench seat in his rocketship !!) - you must have a headrest - but this can be either on the seat or attached to the rollbar if you have one. Buy a good helmet and basic Proban overalls. If last season is anything to go by, get waterproof ones !!

Fit a rollbar to the car if you are using harnesses and fit a harnesses if you have a rollbar. A rollbar will provide some protection but is no use if you are using 3 point seatbelts. A rollbar is not a requirement but will stiffen the car up and give you somewhere to put all those lovely scrutineering stickers.

Take your time to learn the hills and gain confidence in you and your cars abilities. Learn from others and develop at your own pace. The class structure is such that several of the recent championship winners have been in standard cars. (David Frow in 2005 - standard +4)

Most importantly - have fun and if you don't enjoy it - stop.

Regards

Tim