Half shaft damage

Technical queries or suggestions
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Half shaft damage

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Jack Bellinger has asked me to post this information on his behalf.

I cannot stress strongly enough how important this is. Both Jack and I and others have had some pretty big accidents as the result of broken halfshafts. Don't delay, check today!
Whilst at the last race at Snett last year I had my rear drums off. Just at the bottom of the brake shoe backplate there was a little marking of where the brake drum had just kissed the backplate!! John L said to me "Jack the last time I saw that was just before Mary's halfshaft Broke at Snett going around Coram". We all know what happened then (Mary rolled 3 times)!!!So I said to myself "Suppose I will have to check them sometime"
Well last weekend I did
As you can see from the pictures there are markings on the shaft where the hub has moved on the shaft whilst under load from cornering (A) (remember these hubs had been mated with the halfshaft taper before assembly) due to the shaft bending inside the taper. The hubs did not come off easily (had to use Smithy's puller)
If you can look carefully at (B) you will just about see the stress fractures forming this is where the end of the inner bearing sits (you will probably have to remove the bearing to get a good look)
The next step on from this is the halfshaft Snapping?? When this happens the wheel + brake drum + hub parts company from the car!!! Mary rolled 3 times at Snett. I rolled 3 times at Le Mans (had to put that in). It has also happened to John C, Leigh S and Adrian VDK- WE WERE LUCKY.
I know the Old War Horse is older than my marriage, the half shafts have been overworked and abused (like the Wifey) but if you see any witness marks of the drum touching the backplate you must get them checked and would advise any competing Morgan please check them anyway.

I am not trying to scare anybody but unfortunately this is a subject quite close to my heart/ribs/lungs/kidneys and head

Jack