Another syndrome

Races, track days, testing ...
Richard Smith

Another syndrome

Post by Richard Smith »

Now those who know me know that I am not a whinger!
Following on from my 'start line sleep syndrome' I have now recognised another: RSI of the big toe! I think that I must be using the big toe area of my left foot to use the clutch. It is quite sore this morning, after yesterday's Three Sisters sprint. Do proper racing shoes help? Anyone else suffer from this particular affliction?
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Richard,
splash out on a good pair or race boots, they are narrower and keep your toes tighter together. This should solve the problem. I find mine very comfortable, and much easier to drive in. Also after yesterday, I am not surprised that you have a problem, I was nackered, I cannot think of a sprint at which I have changed gear so many times and had to work so hard just to get the car around a track
Philip
john bevan

shoes

Post by john bevan »

Richard- I agree- I drive my car with my race boots all the time. Not only is it easier to drive but my toes remain unbruised.

John

PS Car now back on road with ST170 engine so will be back with a vengeance at Colerne after testing at MOG007 track day!
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

Re: shoes

Post by Phil Egginton »

john bevan wrote:PS Car now back on road with ST170 engine so will be back with a vengeance at Colerne after testing at MOG007 track day!
Friday or Saturday??
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
john bevan

track day

Post by john bevan »

Both!
I was feeling left out after missing Cadwell/Prescott/MIRA/Goodwood!!!!!!!

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Simon Baines

Post by Simon Baines »

Richard

You mean you keep changing gear! - if you want to catch John Stephens you will have to adopt his style - flat out everywhere.

Seriously though, I agree with all above that racing boots do help, particularly the fact that they are narrower than most shoes so it gives you more space for your feet between the pedals, can't say that I suffer from sore toes but that may be because I have worn racing boots for years and wouldn't be without them.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to feel completely knackered last night, after gently drifting the car around Goodwood on Saturday, there was no greater contrast than the 3 Sisters circuit on Sunday.

I don't think I have worked harder anywhere since I started sprinting 6 years ago than I did yesterday, not helped by the lightning pace of Phil Tisdall and Tim Ayres - who says you can't get exercise in a car.