BDC Silverstone 2008

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Mark Shears

BDC Silverstone 2008

Post by Mark Shears »

Another good lunch at Bentley Drivers Club Headquarters near Wroxton, Banbury!

It was Competitors Day and an opportunity to hear what's happening from the competition side of the BDC.

The most important date for us Morganeers is that the Silverstone Meeting next year looks like being the same first Saturday in August again, that is to say 2nd August, 2008.

They are very much hoping for another fully subscribed grid for the Techniques Trophy as we had this year - although there were a few mechanical dropouts both before and during the race. Let's hope we can field an even bigger grid of 4 cylinder cars next year. The secret again will be to get your entry in as soon as they are available.

Also mooted at the meeting was for the BDC to run a Hillclimb and again to invite certain preferred clubs. They are thinking of holding it in September/October time and talks were quite advanced with the MAC about having it at Shelsley Walsh - until it was realised the date would clash with the Goodwood Revival.

I have certainly flagged up that the MSCC would be interested and you will be pleased to know we are one of their preferred clubs.I am sure they will keep us in the loop as to venue and date.

Duncan Wiltshire (Comp. Sec) asked me after the excellent Bangers and Mash if next years BDC Silverstone Meeting will be the 40th Anniversary of the MSCC competing with them there? Anybody know?

Cheers,

Mark
Andy Downes
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Andy Downes »

Hello Mark,

Thanks for the update from BDC headquarters - my taste buds are drooling :P

I think it is 40 years with the BDC either this year or next, I think Kate OG mentioned something about it although she got it from BDC :roll:

Mary Lindsay may know - I'll ask her.

Andy
'Skipper'
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I trust you are implying Mary may know as ‘historian’ – 1968 was well before her Morgan days !
Kate Orebi Gann
Series Co-ordinator

BDC Silverstone

Post by Kate Orebi Gann »

As I was perusing past copies of Autosport in the RAC Club Library (as one does with time on one's hands) and looking for something completely different, I noticed a tiny news entry in 1968 saying that the Bentley Drivers Club were inviting the Morgans to race at their annual event at Silverstone.

In recognition of this anniversary there will be a parade of Morgans following on from the Bentley parade between morning practice and afternoon racing. Racing as usual afterwards.
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Having asked various people who were racing at the time nobody can remember which year it all started but most thought it was 1968. You have now confirmed it Kate by your clever detective work.

I have a photograph of John Lindsay in the Morgan race in 1969 driving his Plus 4 and alongside MMC 11 driven by Jim Goodall.

I would have thought that the BDC would have copies of the results from the first meeting. If I rummage in the garage I might be able to produce results from 1969 ad 1970 but not 1968.
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Hi Mary,

In your role as historian do you happen to know if the ex-Jim Tucker car (8334 RU) I'm in the process of acquiring raced in the BDC in 1968? Chris Harvey's book suggests it may have won the race in 1969 but I'm not sure if this is correct either? I'm hoping to have it running in the Techniques race in 2008.

Cheers,
John Emberson
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

John, I am not sure who appointed me to the role of historian....

Anyway, in answer to your query, I have created a new topic under "On track" entitled: "From the archives."

As this is of interest to everyone, not only the 4 cylinder cars, I thought it better to move the discussion to a more general area of the forum.