BIG Calendar for 2008 Morgan +4's

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

BIG Calendar for 2008 Morgan +4's

Post by John Clarke »

List of events for historic Morgans for 2008 follows....sadly, my budget doesn't extend to every race!!!

Mark Shears

Re: BIG Calendar for 2008 Morgan +4's

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

I agree - but it's not only a question of money but also time! I haven't got enough of either!

Thanks for the BIG Calender again this year - it's really useful. What are your plans for the Supersports this season?

Cheers

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark

I've joined the HSCC and intend to compete in the 60's roadsports. I'm trying to do most of the races except Cadwell and Castle Combe. Once you add in the TT and possibly the MSCC S'stone International meet that still comes to a lot of racing. Added to which the 4-4 has been accepted at Le Mans and I have a BRDC 500 class title to defend at the Silverstone Classic. It's going to be a very busy year!!! Then theirs Spa, Zandvoort..........arghhhh!!

Have you entered Donington at the end of March? Hope to see you there

john
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

Really pleased to hear you are competing with the HSCC this year - its great fun.

I have also entered for their first race of the season at Donington at the end of the month but have also got an entry to Jim Lowrys GTS Equipe race at Donington on Easter Monday.

This is the first race of the season for the Morgan Challenge series and also the Masters.Like you I intend to do as many races with the HSCC as I can and also with Jims' series,time allowing.

I am also hoping to go to Spa again this year and Zaandvort and also hoping for another entry in the Silverstone Classic. Plus the Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting again!

I am also hoping to compete with Flavien and Vanessa Marcais in their GTseries...but I have a rather special car to complete before I can do that!

So much to do and so little time (and Money)to do it all! See you soon.

Cheers

Mark
simon king

Post by simon king »

Hi Mark,

Your last comment sounds intriguing. You have something more special than your Morgan! ??

Will see you at Donnington hopefully.

Regards,

Simon
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

John,

Thanks for the BIG calendar once again ( not much to do!!!) - I am also hoping to do all the HSCC rounds this year except Cadwell. I was slow off the mark in getting my entry In for Donington, I am 4th on the reserve list!!!! So I think entries will have to be in as soon as the regs are out to avoid disappointment!!

Does any one have any further info on Zandvoort etc?

Richard
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Post by John Emberson »

Hi John & Richard,

Having only driven the Roadster before in the MSCC & TSCC I'm trying to find my feet with the newly acquired +4 and would appreciate some guidance from you. Thus far I've entered a couple of the Equipe GTS rounds and will also be at the Donington Masters Series "Grande Passione" in April with Bill Wykeham. However, you both seem to be focussing on the HSCC rounds; are these the place to be or do I need to build up my experience first?
John Emberson
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

I chose to race with the HSCC for my first season of racing last year. I had never raced before and I had rebuilt my Plus 4 as a fast road/rally car so it was a big learning curve for both of us!

As you can probably tell I have completely caught the bug and raced in 13 events in my first season - including Spa!

The HSCC are very welcoming and supportive of novices such as myself and I really enjoyed competing in their Historic Roadsports series which your car is eligible for. I am sure Simon King would confirm this.

You can still compete with Jim Lowrys Equipe GTS series - as I intend to when time allows. What's more your car is also eligible for the Masters Gentleman Drivers series and the Flavien Marcais GT series.

Sadly my black car isn't...but I am working on that as to partly answer Simons intrigued question I am now the happy co-owner of another Morgan that is!

See you at Donington on Easter Monday. And why not come along the following weekend to see us racing with the HSCC and find out what it's like?

Cheers

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi john

I spent 10 years competing with the +4 in the Mog championship - great place to find your feet and make the odd mistake among friends. However, the moss box +8s found another gear and the +4s became increasingly uncompetitive.

This will be my 1st year with the HSCC - I chose this as I haven't campaigned the +4 in any anger for quite a while and there is a concentration of Mogs competing in this series. In addition, there is a gong for top Mog kindly arranged by Mark. The HSCC will allow Avon tyres and aeroscreens which I have become accustomed to (also Yokos!!!).

The Equippe GTS is still dominated by MGBs and I believe you will need a set of Dunlops to compete plus windscreen and hardtop - is this correct Mark? Ditto Gentleman Drivers. The Mogs competing in the Gentleman Drivers are top spec and tend to have all the available tweeks available. What I'm trying to say....is that they are v. quick!!

I am unlikely to enter either of these two series this year as I also have a few big events in the Series 1 which will deplete my race budget. However, if all goes well in HSCC, I may have a pop at Gentleman Drivers next year.

Please let us all know how you get on.

regards

john
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

To answer my own question on tyres!!! Please look at the Equippe GTS section, Avon's can be used if we can get our car above the minimum weights. (the Mogs were homologated at 760kg by the way!!). I've just noticed the comment in this section about Mogs not expecting to keep up with MGBs (!?).... a standard Mog should beat a standard MGB hands down.....but then again the notion of standard has been long lost from the very day that cars first started racing! Oh, and we'll also need to race with screen and hard/soft top.
Mark Hoble

Post by Mark Hoble »

John

Welcome to Historic Roadsports ! I'm really pleased that you and Richard will be out this year. I agree with you that the HSCC is the most natural home for most Plus 4s - those in Class B will be up against some quick cars such as the Milanos but I'm sure that amongst ourselves we'll have some great races.

I have asked the HSCC office to publicise the Four Cylinder Morgan Trophy in the next journal. Any ideas for a better name for it ? Richard has mentioned that to name it after a certain Mr Lawrence would be good ! Do you or any other readers here know him well enough to ask ?

See you at Donington.

Mark Hoble
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark

Please can you call me to discuss - I have left my phone number in your private message box. I have a contact number for Chris and will happily approach him but would first like to have a chat to get more details.

regards

john