Max Mosely

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Max Mosely

Post by Bob Bull »

A few years ago the Clubmans Series celebrated it's 40th. anniversary at the 8 Clubs Silverstone Meeting with a number of races and a parade of cars representative of the history of the formula. Amongst those taking part was Max Mosely President of the FIA, who started his career in Clubmans, and he drove in the parade and presented the prizes still in his racing overalls. After the presentation I asked him if he would record a piece for BBC Three Counties Radio. He was more than happy to do so and patiently answered all my questions in no rush to get off.
What impressed me was the fact that this was the same weekend as the Canadian Grand Prix and Max chose to be at a low key clubbie at Silverstone rather than the glamourous Montreal Circuit. President of the FIA he may have been, but he had not forgotten his roots, and for that he earned my respect, I had interviewed him some years earlier at the British GP and once again even at such an event he had time for the minnows of the media.
For what it is worth he has my support at this time.

Bob Bull.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Colin Musgrove

Re: Max Mosely

Post by Colin Musgrove »

Really? I would beg to differ. What Mosley does in his private life might be considered to be his affair where it not for the fact that he is effectively the head and ultimate representative of world motor sport not Bernie's F1 circus. As such, and as with anyone in public life representing others, his behaviour has to be exemplary. I am actively involved in FIA World Offroad Rallys these days, not Morgans. When one of my potential partners is precisely the person who banned him from his country it is not surprising I get hot under the collar at Mosley's puerile and offensive antics. Luckily, Mosley has become a laughing stock and his days in office must be numbered. Good riddance!! :evil:
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Hi Colin,

to change the subject slightly, whats involved in a "world offroad rally", is that like the Dakar Rally type thing ?.

Jim
Colin Musgrove

Post by Colin Musgrove »

Hi Jim!
Yeah, THE Dakar (not this year thanks to terrorists and feeble French government in usual full-retreat mode) Drivers are Nicolas and Dominique GIBON. Vehicle Bowler Wildcat. 18th O/A last year and first non works car home, 4th in class behind 3 works Mitsubishis. It's like racing a Morgan against the works Astons etc!! hehe! 1st overall Baja de France. Nico also came 5th o/a in the UAE Dubai event but in a works Toyota T2 (like a Class B Mog!) Next event the Transorientale (St Petersburg to Beijing) I used to complain about the treck to Knockhill!! LOL. I might grow up someday, hope not, though! :D
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Sounds like great fun,

maybe you could have a chat to the factory,

I'm thinking Dakar Areomax maybe :lol:

Good luck

Jim
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Colin,
You beg do differ? Really!
What I wrote was simple fact and contained no reference to Max's private life and how it has impacted on his role as President of the FIA. There is no doubt that the revelations in the press have damaged his credibility as President, but I was merely attempting to show another side of his character that I admire.
What he does in his private life in neither condone or condemn.

I would not want to fall out with you over the matter.

Kind regards,

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Colin Musgrove

Post by Colin Musgrove »

Bob, I could give a monkey's whether you fall out with me or not! We have stated our opinions, end of story.
Jim, I put that same idea to "Hamster" whose Aeromax is supposedly due for delivery in September. He seems to think it not a good idea!! :(
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

Colin,

Good to know you're still around!
You probably won't remember but you used to look after my Plus 8 about 20 years ago ( 1987 plus 8 EFi, Old English White/Black Leather )
I still have the car and am now campaigning it in the Speedmog Championship ( Finished 2nd overall in 2007 )
Hoping for a better result this year!!

Your current motor sport activities sound very exciting!! But too much dust!!

Regards

Tim Ayres
Andy Green
Morgan Class B

Post by Andy Green »

Does anyone know how the MSA voted on "our" behalf?
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

The MSA website seems quiet on it and I don’t know if they are obliged to tell us. From the Autosport wording “respected the outcome of the vote” it sounds like the MSA voted for him to go. Certainly Damon Hill on Radio sounded keen for him to go and I think he speaks on behalf of BRDC. But I don’t know if that influences MSA.

On Googling this I was interested to see that AA, RAC, and Caravan Club(!!) also have votes. So again members could perhaps ask how they voted and threaten to give up their caravans in protest if they disagree ! Do all you motorhome owners join Caravan Club or is there another club for you ?

I also heard suggestions that certain organizations may resign from FIA (in particular German association whose initials I cant remember - HDAC ?) and I don’t know if it would affect us at Zandvoort or Spa if , say, the Dutch or Belgians resigned from FIA. But quite possibly it will all go quiet now for a bit.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The MSA said it respected the outcome of the vote, and insisted is now time to move on for the good of the sport.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/ju ... otorsports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the UK, for example, the Motor Sports Association (MSA) is responsible for the administration of motorsport and three clubs - the AA, RAC and the Caravan Club - are grouped under the "mobility" heading. In terms of voting rights at the FIA general assembly the MSA has a single vote and the "mobility" members have one third of a vote each. But if those three clubs cannot agree which way to vote, and to vote together, then their votes will not be counted
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

If that's typical of the organisations that vote in the FIA, that's bizarre.

I can understand the RAC, as they used to run motorsport in this country, but the AA (just a money-making shell operation now) and the Caravan Club? Crikey.