BDC Silverstone TT - 2nd August - Regs Now Out

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

BDC Silverstone TT - 2nd August - Regs Now Out

Post by John Clarke »

Just a reminder to watch out for entry forms for the 3rd running of the Techniques Trophy for 4 cylinder Morgans. Entry forms can be had direct from the Bentley Drivers Club http://www.bdcl.org, through Mogsport http://www.mogsport.net/series/dates08.html or from Techniques http://www.techniques.uk.com.

The TT runs in a race restricted to Morgan +4s, Morgan 4/4s, ACs and MG T Types. As this is a mixed marque race it is important to get your entry in early as the BDC operate a first come first served basis for competitors.

If you are likely to enter, it is probably best to register your interest with Brian Gateson of Techniques.
Email morgans@techniques.uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Previous winners have been Jack Bellinger in 'XOV' and Chas Windridge in his Rover +4 'Tomcat'.

This year, the TT will be restricted to normally aspirated 4 cylinder Morgans - the 'Tomcat' was just too fast for all the other cars in the race!!!!

In the first two races, we have seen the largest turn out of 4 cylinder Morgans for a very long time. Heres to another bumper grid in 2008.
Mark Gilbart-Smith

Re: BDC Silverstone TT - 2nd August

Post by Mark Gilbart-Smith »

regs now out on bdcl website.
John Clarke

Re: BDC Silverstone TT - 2nd August - Regs Now Out

Post by John Clarke »

Thanks Mark.....they took a bit of finding. They are here:

http://www.bdcl.org/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=25

Closing date is 18th July
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Well ferreted, John.

I have added the link to mogsport.net too
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Just a reminder to all you Plus 4 and 4/4 drivers not to prevaricate!

Get your entry into the BDC smartish for the TT race at Silverstone on 2nd August as you may remember from my conversation with them at their Competitors Day before Christmas that they will select cars on a 'first come, first served' basis. Don't wait for the closing date - it will be too late!

They are very happy to have a big grid of 4 cylinder Morgans but they will also accept MG T series, AC Aces etc so let's get in there first!

Does anyone know of any other cars/competitors who might be eligible to race but who is off the radar?

Do let us know if you can think of anyone - or even a suitable car Leigh can borrow!!!

Cheers

Mark
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

I am assured that Leigh has "family commitments" on the date in question.
The flying duster will not be competing either this year due to it's altercation with the 4x4.

Good luck to all those who get an entry - I shall be watching from the sidelines again - probably keeping the roving 3 Counties Reporter company

Tim
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

I’m honoured to be such a famous ‘guest’ driver (or scrounger !) that I am discussed in brakehorsepower.
Clive Morley of Bentley fame has had a Mog in preparation for some time but not heard if it’s finally done
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Leigh,

It would ge good to see you at the TT. I know Jim Lowry (of Equipe GTS fame) has a 1960's Plus 4 that would be eligible - but I don't think the engine is up and running yet. I will check with him at this weekends big MG weekend at Silverstone.

Cheers

Mark
Brian Gateson
Tech Comm

Post by Brian Gateson »

Hi All,

Just an update to let you know that we have 11 confirmed entries so far for this years TT, there are still places left on the grid so please get your entry in quick before the MG's ! The closing date is 18th July.

Confirmed entries:

Jonathon Rushton +4
Mark Shears +4
John Emberson +4
Keith Ahlers SLR
Matt Taylorson +4
Barry Sumner 4/4
Simon King +4
David James +4
Billy Bellinger 4/4
John Clarke +4
Mark Gilbart Smith +4

There are others who also hope to make it, so there will be another good grid of 4 cylinder Morgans and Andy Garlick will be along to judge you all ! and present the trophies to this years winners.

See you all there.

Regards
Brian
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Last chance to get your entry in for BDC Silverstone...

Any more takers? There must be some. And if you have entered but are not on Brians list do please let us know.

Not long now...

Cheers

Mark
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

I think GWP may be there ...
RICHARD PLANT
Morgan Class E

Post by RICHARD PLANT »

Phillip Tisdall told me he would be there in his Plus 4 :^o but I already have a £10 bet with him that the car will not be ready in time :-({|=

Any news Phillip :?:

Richard
Brian Gateson
Tech Comm

Post by Brian Gateson »

There are now three more 4Cyl Morgans entered for the TT

David Phillips +4
Adran Van der Kroft +4
Will Sergeant +4

This makes 14 Morgans with another 13 / 14 MG's, there is no sign of the very quick AC that ran last year so possibly a Morgan outright winner !

I am going along on Friday, so hopefully see some of you there.

Brian
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

An impressive line up with two Super Sports, an SLR, and several other cars with serious ‘history’.

Must pop down to the betting shop to see how the odds are – will Billy beat his ‘boss’ , and which will be the first ‘standard body’ +4 Morgan ?

Sorry I wont be there. Next year is the 40th birthday of my 4/4 four seater which I still have from new and raced through the 70s – so perhaps I should enter that in 2009.
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

Just a very quick thank you to Team Techniques for all the hard work over the BDC Silverstone weekend. After the various gremlins of the past two years I was wondering whether I was destined to ever show my face at this event.

BDC Silverstone has always occupied a special place in my memory as I remember camping in the paddock years ago when my father and elder brother would compete either a 3 Litre Bentley or later in a +8 in the Morgan Challenge and the all comers scratch race which would be populated by the AC Cobras, works +8 and the +8 supercharged monster that was John MacDonald's brain child. Not forgetting John Mac's very quick +4 (green with white nose) that would often embarrass many a +8 of the time.

The surprise was to see Andy Garlick presenting the trophies at the end of this years TT race as he and Mr R senior used to form part of the Morgan 'rat pack' in the 70's that would venture to the Nurburgring, Zanvort or even up to the Lake District for the VSCC Northern Trial. And they would do it without resorting to either a truck or trailer to get the cars there. All hard, bearded men of the time.

It's a sure sign that I'm getting old when I start emulating my father's exploits!

Thanks once again to Brian and Tracy. And yes, you can put me down for next year.

Jonathon