Another Icon?

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Another Icon?

Post by Bob Bull »

I appreciate that this is mainly a Morgan related site, however, I notice that the 'Max Mosely' thread attracted some interest and I wonder if members might care to comment on another luminary of British Motorsport - Lewis Hamilton?
Being a Hertfordshire boy he is very much a Three Counties favourite so I have to take a close interest in his progress and be prepared to comment on his results. Unfortunately I can't stand him. He strikes me as arrogant, entirely self-centred and blinding fast. I have noticed that while he is a 'media darling', and popular with the 'general public' a great many genuine enthusiasts share my views.

Having ruined Kimi Raikonnen's race in Canada by what can only be described as a stupid error, his only concern seems to be with himself and there is no sincere expression of fault or regret for Kimi's plight.
'I don't care what they throw at me, I will just come back stronger'
Throw at him!!!!!
He practically begged for a penalty.

Is it just me?

I would be interested in other opinions.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
john bevan

Re: Another Icon?

Post by john bevan »

one of my firends went to school with him, another did a lot of karting th him and single seaters- they both say he is a very genuine friendly guy. he came across as both very modest and friendly on top gear (and blindingly quick). If he appears aloof, that maty be because he is bored of the tabloids!

if he is arrogant; which formula one drivers aren't? You have to have an element of that to assume that you won't die at 220 mph.

John
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Chris Acklam
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Chris Acklam »

I am not really sure whether you are criticising him as a driver or as a person.

As a driver I think he is remarkable, and blindingly fast as you said. As a youngster he seems to me to be coping amazingly well with the huge exposure to the press that started last year, and which is intrusive, remorseless and unpitying.

Looking back over the great F1 drivers, there are more than a few there who were arrogant and self-centred (to the point of running competitors off the road rather than risk losing), so that's nothing new.

I agree that perhaps it might have been nice for him to acknowledge the mistake a little more quickly last weekend, but frankly given the mayhem of the pitstops and the distraction of seeing Raikkonen and Kubica overtaking him in the pitlane, I can quite understand how easy it must have been to get distracted. And then be caught out by finding them stop suddenly in front of him - just a tough break.

And, as Raikkonen said, he can hardly complain of people driving into the back of others. In fact I seem to remember Schumacher doing a similar thing in the Monaco tunnel not long ago. So, not unusual and not as reprehensible as people are making out.

So, sorry, but I don't share your view on this.

Chris
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

Bob,

Has the lad upset you in some way ?.

I think you will find that any sports person, or in fact anybody at all who is going to get to the top of there chosen career path needs to be "arrogant and self-centred" to a certian degree, theres no prize for being nice to the guy next to you, if thats what it takes to win then thats the way it has to be.

Schumacher displayed these trates throughout his career, for example after shunting Hill into the Barrier at Melborne to win the world championship, you didn't him saying sorry to Hill, and Schumacher is hailed as one of the greatest drivers of all time.

IMO there is too much coverage of the lad in the press/tv but thats what the public want so let them have it.
Leigh Sebba
Morgan Class C

Post by Leigh Sebba »

And of course we can continue this in the pub to discuss which winning Morgan drivers are ‘arrogant and self – centred’. Now Chris – you won a race recently – but I wouldn’t have used that description on you !

As for Hmailton’s pit lane crash my wife found it quite understandable and very easy to do – in fact she has done similar herself on the road.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Thanks for you replies, I seem to be outnumbered though.

To answer Chris' query; I must recognise his talent in fact I often think he is the only true 'racer' on the grid and I can't say fairer than that.

Yes! There have been many examples of drivers who would rather cause an accident than be beaten, Senna and Schumi to name but two and LH has never deliberately driven into anyone as far as I can tell, and his record speaks for itself. Mind you, having the best car has helped a lot, would we be discussing him if he were driving a Force India?

It his persona that bothers me, I truly see him as one who believes he has right to success rather than having to earn it and appears contemptuous of lesser mortals, I think his 'Mr Nice Guy' image is just that - an image. He has been thoroughly 'spoilt' by McLaren and his Dad and has the silver spoon well and truly stuck between his teeth.
No Jim,I have nothing personal against the guy, I have never met him and my opinions are formed from observation and media coverage, so I may be quite wrong, (silly thought) I have followed Grand Prix racing since 1950 and have seen many drivers come and go through the ranks, some I admired others I thought over rated, but Lewis is in another league entirely for me.

Some random thoughts; I recall a quote by Gerhard Berger on the young Schumacher: "He is so arrogant even the Germans are beginning to notice", and yet on the odd occasion when I spoke to him he came across as warm and friendly, and showed a nice sense of humour (really).

I think, Chris, that you will find that it was Montoya who ran into Michael in the tunnel.

Some one once said that Hakkinens McLaren was the only car with a plank underneath and on top.

Anyway I only said I would be interested in your views, I never said I would take any notice of them, I just can't stand arrogant people.

Standarten Fuhrer Bull.
Regards
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Seems to lead us neatly back to Max Moseley...!!!
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Bob Bull wrote:No Jim,I have nothing personal against the guy, I have never met him and my opinions are formed from observation and media coverage
Bob Bull wrote:I recall a quote by Gerhard Berger on the young Schumacher: "He is so arrogant even the Germans are beginning to notice", and yet on the odd occasion when I spoke to him he came across as warm and friendly, and showed a nice sense of humour (really).
So perhaps, for all our sakes, you need to meet him to see if the image created by spin doctors, journalists and worse is true or false. We await the full story.
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Bob Bull wrote:Is it just me?
Yes :evil:
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Alright already!

It is just me.

I'll shut up now, but thank you all for your comments because I did ask - didn't I?

Walks slowly into the sunset.......................
Regards