Gearbox info

Technical queries or suggestions
Ged Smith

Gearbox info

Post by Ged Smith »

I need a gearbox and some expert advice. What should I go for a standard Rover 5speed or a T5 or similar? I dont know much about the alternatives to standard. I have a 3.9 with some work done, I do a few track days but thats it. I would like a stronger unit can anyone give me an idea please.
    Andy Green
    Morgan Class B

Re: Gearbox info

Post by Andy Green »

Ged

I have a std R380 gearbox for sale which was fitted to my Plus 8 for 7 years of racing with no problems,although I would suggest it should be serviced before fitment into another car

The box was supplied new from Morgan in 2002 and currently resides in a large cardboard box at MOGSPORT(Chas Windridge) complete with the bell housing drilled for easy removal

For this season I replaced it with a T5 which is better for racing with a much shorter gate and different ratios etc

If you are interested please send me a mail via this site or contact Chas who knows all about these things
    Ged Smith

Post by Ged Smith »

Andy, Thank you for the reply your comments were useful. If nothing else comes up I could be interested in your gearbox. what are we looking at money wise?
    Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

different question: I am trying to locate a supplier of the plastic bushes that the gear lever sits in, in my 5 speed Ford (sierra) gearbox. Uncle Melvyn can't help, the Ford dealers say they are not made, and I have a very sloppy gear lever! The Awards Secretary might look favourably on to whoever can tell me where to go!!!
    Richard Smith
    Unstone Green, Derbyshire
    1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823
    Philip Tisdall

Post by Philip Tisdall »

Richard, what about a scrap yard, there must be lots of sierra's in there or a ford owners club. Have you tried the normal "race" people Mogsport, Brian Gateson Billy Bellenger
    Philip
    Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Throw the old one away and replace it with a quick shift one, from Burton, Rally Design, Demon Tweeks etc and you might even go faster