I second that emulsion....

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

Jonathon Rushton

I second that emulsion....

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

For all you avid bloggers(!) can I beg your assistance with a recurring problem I am having with my TR engine.

For those of you who came along to the Silverstone Classic and BDC Silverstone you would have caught me at my emotional best, the car in the air and a half dozen or so fellow competitors offering some greatly appreciated assistance.

However, I am currently experiencing a recurring problem in that the engine is now producing just a modest amount of emulsion on the inside of the rocker cover. The short question is, should I be worried?

I've had the engine back to its maker and he has given kind words of encouragement along the lines of "go out and thrash it" as it is most likely only a trace of water that has made its way up on the stud holes in the head. I plan on following his advice on the weekend but before I do can I ask whether any of you +4 Jonnies have experienced the same phenomenon that I am currently going through and if so is there a cure?

Yours

JR
Mark Shears

Re: I second that emulsion....

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Jonathon,

I'm no help I'm afraid as fortuneately I haven't experienced this manisfestation. However like you I would be concerned. But if TRE are not worried all you can do is follow their advice ie. thrash it,and see what happens!

See you at Oulton.

Cheers

Mark
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Jonathon
ask the eng builder if they recomend a rad stop leak you can put in that should stop the water leaking up the studs (which does happen) ..If you dip the oil after a run and the dipstick has no emulsified oil on it just clean oil then the eng builders are probably correct .. also ask them how sure they are that the liners are properly sealed ..
They can do a system pressure test with the Rocker cover off to confirm what they say..

hope this helps
jack
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

Jonathon

You say you are getting emulsion inside the rocker cover, yes I have known and experienced before

1 Are you using it on the road?
It could be that it is not getting hot enough that is oil & water

2 Is the catch tank plumbed in permanently?

Catch tanks, especially the nice shinny ones preferred by Scrutineer’s can cause this problem in that they don’t let the engine breather properly or freely

Check that catch tank is completely empty

3 Emulsion anywhere else?
i.e.
On dipstick
In breather hoses to catch tank

If not on dipstick or oil level changing then that suggests that liners are ok and it might be head studs / head gasket
If in breather hoses see 2.

Other
Have you changed the make of oil from that you have used previously - different oils react to different engines differently? And some are prone to producing lots of white stuff – but if the engine builders have used this oil in other engines of the same type then it should be ok

I have found that the best leak sealer and the one that lasts the longest is – Wynn’s stop leak – not the easiest to get hold of but it works

I would suggest that you clean it all out, disconnect all the breather hoses from catch tank and take it for a run – does the emulsion form

If yes – change the oil & filter - then try Wnn’s and repeat a run

Last thing is change the make of oil and try again

Hope this helps

Barry
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

Mark, Jack and Barry,

you are all of you gentlemen and scholars. I plan on dodging the thunderstorms over the weekend and getting to grips with this particular issue.

thank you, all three of you, for your advice, assistance and support.

Jonathon

PS. your beers are in the post.
Richard Smith

Post by Richard Smith »

What is the state of the water in the radiator? Is it nice clean water, or can you see any trace of oil on the surface? Are you actually losing any coolant?
If the answer to the questions is <good>, <yes>, <no> and <no>, then just go out and give it an Italian tune-up.
Richard Smith
Unstone Green, Derbyshire
1993 4/4 1.6efi MSCC 11823