Morgan Concours?

Races, track days, testing ...
Bob Bull

Morgan Concours?

Post by Bob Bull »

I understand from talking to Andy Garlick that the Morgan marque is 99 years old which, means that it has been around all through my years of watching motor sport. Like Ferrari it is one of the constants in the sport, and in my mind at least it has always seemed to epitomise the 'British Sports Car', driven by brawny armed, hairy chested types clad in Irvine jackets and goggles, popping off to Brighton or Blackpool, (whichever's closest) with a popsie. (Who would probably go home on the train).
This image has been somewhat modified since I started to meet a few members of the tribe, however, a number of references to 'concours' in various postings has raised serious doubts about the masculinity of some of the characters on this site (Mary excepted).
Surely a concours is for the saddo who cherishes his 1955 Morris Minor above all things, the kind of person who spends more on polish than petrol, and uses more oil on the hinges than the sump?
Please tell me that I have got it wrong - people DO NOT enter Morgans in shiny car contests, complete with wicker picnic hampers on the luggage rack! Do they?

a bunch of Pansies (to be awarded to the best reply)

Disgusted of Luton.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Re: Morgan Concours?

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I think the original Concours d'Elegance competitions were for the best looking car before and after a race which is OK.
It is when they haven't turned a wheel in anger that I find the exercise a bit pointless.

Cars are for using not looking at.

No doubt there are many who disagree with me but then that has always been the case............
Phil Egginton
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Phil Egginton »

Bob

Can I nominate you for the 'most opinionated poster 2008'... :lol: No wonder the British press get such a roasting... :twisted:

Of course Morgan people do concours it is after all just another form of competition. Albeit not involving allot of speed. However it is possibel to combine the two. One year Malcolm Lamb won both Morgan Concours and the Club Sprint within a matter of weeks. It is very possible to have a concours winning car which does loads of miles a year. My Aero came second in class at this years Mog concours with 35,000 mile on the clock. The car that was second overall in the World Championship also does simmialr miles and was only just second from a 'trailed freshly restored' car. Such cars loose points for 'originality'.

I would suggest you come along the next years Mog concours and see for youself
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Phil,
I can't remember being nominated for anything before, so I will gratefully accept your suggestion, and I fully expect there will be quite a few seconders to back you up, however the frantic excitement of attending a concours might prove just too much for an old man like me.
Being a very conceited individual I positively bask in the glow of attention no matter how it is generated so do keep posting.

By the way, congratulations on your successes.

Kind regards,

Bob
Regards
Chris Acklam

Post by Chris Acklam »

Bob, Can I nominate you for the 'most opinionated poster 2008
Seconded. Keep 'em coming Bob - it's always interesting to see who rises to the bait...

Personally I'm sympathetic to that point of view. My threshold of boredom is reached as soon as I think about cleaning the car - which is probably why it has such 'patina'. However as I lack the brawny arms and hairy chest (and, even more tragically, the popsie) that appear to be your requisite for the real Morgan owner, perhaps I'm in danger of getting 'pansied'. #-o
Phil Egginton

Post by Phil Egginton »

Glad you took it in the spirit I meant Bob..... avatars are so useful :)

Anyway I'm biased as I have just been granted the sole licence for Zymol (www.zymol.com ) products and 'detailing' in Portugal. So polishing cars is about to become a profession (hopefully a profitable one) for me. 8-)

Chris... I know exactly what you mean by certain Morgan owners.... =D>
Phil Egginton
"Think very carefully… because if you ever start, you will never be able to leave it alone" — Donald Campbell CBE
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Phil,
CC Chris,
The trouble with having an extreme sense of humour is that when you want to make a serious point nobody takes you at face value, here I am trying hard to upset the waxers and gleamers and they just take the mick!! It's not fair.

Still if flogging beauty products to Morgan drivers makes you rich, Phil, I wish you the very best of luck, after all; there's one born every minute!
I have to admit that my 15 year old Astra gets washed and polished once a year ready for the Revival meeting. I shall have to visit that web site you mentioned.

To get back to your main point, I do hope that a few more indignant concours fans endorse my nomination as I would dearly love to win something and this looks like my best chance.

NB; Chris, should that be 'take the bate?'

Bob aka The Great Unwashed.

Come on people, join in the fun.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Whats a concours?? Is it a NUT on a bit of string

love jack
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Jack,
I don't like string on my nuts, it can be painful, or so Max told me.

Ouch!!

Bob
Regards
Jim Mountain

Post by Jim Mountain »

My dad and I entered the Flat Rad in the Mog concours in Newcastle a few years ago as it gave us somewhere nice to park for the day, we even washed it !, I think we came last ! :)