HSCC - Tyres and Any Other Regs

For those interested in competing 4 cylinder Morgans

Moderator: John Clarke

John Clarke
Anti spam question: MSA

HSCC - Tyres and Any Other Regs

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark H

When I spoke with the HRS chap about regs, he mentioned that he was unhappy with HRS cars running on Yokos as they were out of keeping with an historic race championship. Whereas there was nothing concrete said, he gave me the impression that the tyre regs may be reviewed.

Certainly, speaking as an AVON man, deleting Yokos would close up the field between those pesky TR5/6's and us erstwhile Morgan peddlars. The Yokos certainly provide more grip in the dry and must be worth 1 or 2 secs on the larger circuits. Alternatively, we could all go onto Dunlop Rs which would save us FIA types buying two sets of wheels and tyres for the different race series.

Should you get into discussion on regs for future years, I would vote to outlaw Yokos!!!!

What do others think?

regards

john
Mark Hoble

Re: HSCC - Tyres and Any Other Regs

Post by Mark Hoble »

Hi John

The issue of tyres came up at the end of last season - apparently the 70 profile Yokos were scheduled to be withdrawn by Yokohama (not an issue now I believe). Mike Eagles said last year that the challenge for HRS is the range of cars and wheel sizes on the grid (Elans to Aurelias) which means a single compatable road legal tyre is hard to find. The cost of tyres is also a consideration.

For my part I agree with you that Yokos are not in the spirit of a historic series. However, the perceived performance advantage is such that people want to stay with them. As it happens I am switching from Yokos to Avons for Brands because I prefer to drive a car that moves around more - Avons are also much better in the wet.

I'll send you Mike's email address so you can raise this with him if you wish. He is putting the agenda together for the end of season "meeting" (huddle in a garage) so now is the time to add things to the agenda.

Mark
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Mark

Remember to get them scrubbed - I learned the hard way ruining a few tyres that couldn't stand the heat and chunked really badly.

The suggestion for Avons may come better from someone currently running Yokos rather than myself. I would come across as a self interested party - which of course I am!!!!

Thanks for the email address though.

regards

john
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi Guys,

I too run Avons as you know so I agree with John whole heartedly - which means I too have self interest at heart!

I have just bought a new set of Avons and had them buffed before Oulton. They show little signs of adverse wear and I am told should last longer - at that price I should hope so !!!

See you soon,

Cheers

Mark
Jonathon Rushton

Post by Jonathon Rushton »

What's all this about buffing rubber.....

I sprung for a new set of Avons prior to BDC Silverstone. I didn't go so far as getting them scrubbed for three very good reasons (1) the monkey in charge of removing the excess rubber must have the DT's as previously pre-scrubbed tyres have been a bugger to balance (lots of lead); (2) you can scrub them in yourself by simply doing 20 minutes of spirited motoring on the public roads (alternatively 3 to 4 laps); (3) I'm too tight to see good rubber go to waste.

On a personal note I always thought that the Yoko was the tyre of choice for the driver with a little bag of talent who prefer to stay stuck to the black stuff. A concept completely foreign to any +4 driver... I am convinced that the Avon is a far better tyre, if only I knew how to get the best out of it as there are times when it just sticks and you can out corner/drag those TR4/TR5/TR6's.

I looked at the championship standings tonight and if I had managed to compete at Brands earlier in the season as well as Castle Combe I would be competing for 2nd in class and 3rd overall against the TR5s of, well you know who. And this is on the much maligned Avons!

Lessons from Oulton Park are that the +4s do have the legs to stay with the TR5's in the first half of the race as John Clarke did a superb job of hunting down James Owen. My own rather ham fisted style of driving meant that I managed to 'blue' the discs during the race. The pads and shoes were toast after 20 mins of racing (I have the spin at Druids on candid camera, not pretty). So, my mind is now drifting to thoughts of winter re-builds and tweaks that will give the TR5s a wake up call next season.

As for banning the Yoko... I don't think it is a particularly attractive looking piece of kit when it's on a period motorcar, but should it be banned? The Dunlop race tyre is all very well but we then cease to be a Road Sports series as the Dunlop doesn't have the all important E rating rendering it illegal to use on the road. Has anyone tried to drive a car running on Dunlops on the public highway!

Anyway, I have no answers to that particular problem but simply say "here's to the next three races being wet ones...."

Jonathon
John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Whereas it was good fun chasing down James the 2 opportunities I had to pass I backed down, as I was thinking how much someone (?????) had spent on the beautiful body work!!!!.....and for that matter how much I had spent on my own bodywork!!!!! When I used to race with 'hand beaten' wings (I used a hammer to straighten them) the pass would not have been given a 2nd thought. Mind you, people in shiney cars used to get out of my way!!!!

The men to really chase is Colin Sharp and Justin Murphy, both 4-5 seconds up the road each lap - whereas we still may not catch them as they are suitably talented peddlars, we may be able to give them a better run for their money.

You're quite correct about the Dunlops, I had forgotten they are out and out race tyres.

Interestingly enough (to me anyway), the Spa 6 Hour race permits Dunlops or Avon CRZZs - but not Yokos.

regards

john
Mark Shears

Post by Mark Shears »

Hi John,

As I understand it the Spa 6 Hour race has been traditionally run on Dunlop Historics but competitors have expressed concern that the track can be dry on one side and soaking wet on the other, especially over such a long race period and being Spa. So this year they are accepting good ol' Avons as well. 'Elf and Safety you know!

Cheers

Mark