A New Topic

Race chatter
Bob Bull

A New Topic

Post by Bob Bull »

In a vain attempt to raise awareness of the Loose Torque concept I did pledge to post two new items on the Forum this week, and as a man of my word I will try again to stimulate interest in this moribund section.

Sometime ago there was discussion on the probability/possibility of the British Grand Prix being held at Donington in 2010. Following the success of Lewis Hamilton in becoming Formula 1 World Champion Silverstone received an unprecedented demand for advance tickets, ten times the number sold during the same week last year.
As we all know, Donington in it's present form is just not capable of holding a Grand Prix, yet to-date there does not appear to have been any progress in the redevelopment required to bring it up to standard, merely talk of applications for Planning Permission, which to the best of my knowledge have yet to be submitted. Bernie E has stated that a return to Silverstone is not an option, so failing a miracle, where does that leave the race after 2009?

Apart from the massive amount of work that needs to be done on the circuit itself, the improvements to access from the M1 are just a day dream (or a nightmare) for the organisers.

Can it be that we will see the demise of the oldest race on the World Championship calendar, will Britain not host a race in 2010 or beyond?

With so many of the Formula 1 teams based in this country and regarding the GP as a 'home race', and with 13 World titles being won by British drivers could it be next year's race will be the last?

Personally I believe it will, yet little has been said about the possibility in the media.

Does anyone from the Midlands know how things are going at Donington ?

Am I unduly pessimistic ?

I would be very interested in your views.

Worried of Luton.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
John Emberson
Morgan Class B

Re: A New Topic

Post by John Emberson »

Not directly connected (although this seems to make no difference in any e-mail thread involving Bob) but I'd like to observe that even exotic tracks in foreign parts have their downsides. Having recently returned from "sunny" Paul Ricard I'd say it was more like Snetterton in March; freezing cold with squally showers & strong winds.... So, maybe Bernie thinks that with global warming Donington will have the advantage of sunshine in future?

Suffice to say though, at Paul Ricard some things don't change, Keith & Billy in the SLR were phenomenally quick coming 2nd in class & 7th overall (Bill & I in RU were 5th in class & a more lowly 30th overall). However, Leigh will be impressed that my triathlon training must be paying off as I seem to have run around the car so quickly on one of the compulsory stops the timekeepers didn't pick it up. In a very French officious fashion I was served with an official summons after the race & made to visit the Chief Steward where I had to wait outside in very headmasterly fashion. Fortunately Catherine's French & her scribbled lap timing notes managed to convince the officials that no cheating had occurred. I guess this happens all the time in the World of Bob & Lewis Hamilton & it's interesting to me that the French seem unconcerned about losing the GP there?
John Emberson
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I suspect that some new and very wealthy overseas venue will be found with the irresistible lure of loadsa money being paid for the honour of hosting a GP.
I don't think that Bernie really cares much about us losing the GP and I expect the press will only catch on when it is too late.
Tim Hill

Post by Tim Hill »

Well, we here in NZ look forward to welcoming the F1 Circus to our shores in 2010.

The Hampton Downs circuit is under construction and ze requisite "dungeon" has just been installed. Tenders are being invited for "entertainment" licences.

See the proof at http://www.hamptondowns.com/Construction-Update.wse

Can you see this being complete by early 2009.......

Anyway, cheers for now and please keep Bob away from his computer until the new F1 season starts
Tim

PS - With Curborough getting a reprieve from the Greenies and their ecotown, perhaps an alternative venue is already available in the Midlands.
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I see that an application for planning permission has not been passed and needs some revision.

We may soon have to link this section to Andy's Panto!

Bob
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards