EBC Rear Brake Shoes

Technical queries or suggestions
peterturner

EBC Rear Brake Shoes

Post by peterturner »

I am trying to fit new brake shoes to the rear drums on my 2000 (built 1999) T16 +4. I thought this should be simple job.
According to the EBC catalogue the same part no. 6380 should fit +4's from 94-2001 and +8s fom 94-2005.
On trying to install however, the locating pins for the auto adjusters are located differently to the original shoes so that the auto adjuster ratchet won't engage also the steady posts and spring holes are located in the wrong place.
EBC haven't been much help, has anyone encountered this issue before? and does anyone know if there were changes to the brake drums during this period which might account for these differences.

Thanks Pete
Richard Thorne
Tech Comm

Re: EBC Rear Brake Shoes

Post by Richard Thorne »

The current self adjusting rear shoes are paired- the foremost shoe is not the same as the rearmost
check that you dont have two shoes of the same type in your hands when fitting
also you need to be very careful when removeing and refitting the small c clips that retain the pins holding the handbrake lever and adjuster cam in place as you will need to swap these over from your old shoes.
one last thought -you may have been supplied a set of the early type shoes which were not self adjusting- they are completely different and will not fit the more modern backplates

Regards

Simon
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

Hi Peter,

Happy New Year.

Just phone Darren on 01747 858334 (daytime ). He has the simple answer!!

Best regards

Tim
peterturner

Post by peterturner »

Thanks for the advice both of you. EBC say that these are the correct shoes for this car, and they are not much different. So assuming that they have been installed successfully to auto adjuster drums in the past then there must be some difference in the brake assembly fitted to my car, probaly in the ratchet component geometry.
Anyway I have decided to take Darren's advice and have the original shoes relined.

Thanks again Pete
Tim Ayres

Post by Tim Ayres »

Hi Peter,

I'm glad Darren was of some help to you. He was really "made-up" when I told him you'd decided to follow his advice!
Hopefully we may see you at the "new" workshop at Semley soon, you're always welcome to just drop in for a chat and a coffee. Otherwise we'll see you out on the hills, or at a sprint, once the Speedmog season gets underway.

Best regards

Tim Ayres
NEW ELMS LTD =D>
peterturner

Post by peterturner »

Hi Tim.

Thanks for the invite, I hope to get up to see you all later on.
From what Darren said, it sounds like it could be a very intersting season for you both.

Cheers Pete