Indentiification Help Needed.

Race chatter
Mark Shears

Re: Indentiification Help Needed.

Post by Mark Shears »

Bob - you are so right ,the things we used to get up to when we were lads would have the 'elf and safety lot turning in their graves!

I had a kart that was not dissimilar to the one in your picture except that my father made it utilising the complete Silver Cross assembley at the rear so that it had 4 rear wheels and then the two front steering wheels...and this was years before Tyrell and March later copied the idea! String however was the preferred method of steering!

It also incorporated the rudimentary pram braking which was never intended for the great speeds achieved and so was supplemented by the well tried and worn method Peter suggested. The great speeds were achieved down a steep incline of a service road that ran parallel to the main road and which actually joined it at the bottom! As braking was poor at best it meant the 'run off' was the main road! All this achieved with a hearty push off at the top of the hill by younger sister who of course could not be trusted to drive such a fast bit of kit!

The Bentley man to which Leigh refers must be Stanley Mann but he is at Radlett I think. However John Brittains Morgan (and TVR) emporium was at Arkley near Barnet and of course Chris Alford worked there and won the Production Sports Car Championship in a Morgan 4/4 in 1976.

Still doesn't get us any closer to the mystery man in question but happy to reminisce!

Cheers

Mark
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Copyright R.F. Bull.

The identification was not about the driver, but as this appears to have become a subject for discussion I present another, later, picture of the great man. I hope this will be of assistance.
Ace Photograp…… you know!
Regards
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Mark your intrusion into the discussion is very welcome, and most interesting to note that design features of some of these early 'trolleys' , as we called them, were later taken up by some of the leading F1 designers. You, like Peter, refer to the rope/string steering mechanism, so I had better reveal that the steering wheel on the trolley was an attempt to improve on that system, and utilised a pair of bicycle forks stretched wide and attached to the front axle, when one wanted to turn right the 'steering wheel' was moved over to the left, and vice versa, so despite appearances it was not an early rack and pinion.
It proved to lack sensitivity at speed and reverted to the more common approach to directional change. This is the only photograph surviving from the period which saw a number of models produced (Mk2, Mk3, Mk4) or Series 2, 3, 4 if you prefer. The last model had a padded racing seat (old socks), and was blindingly fast, propulsion was by BHP* via a garden broom handle that slotted into a socket behind the seat.

Glad to know I am not the only 'rowdy' on the forum.

Bob.

*Bob Horse Power.
Regards
peter rafter

Post by peter rafter »

“thank you mr Betjeman”

John, do you, perchance, mean Rupert Brooke? He, and other notable WW1 Soldier poets (Wilfred Owen “Where death becomes absurd and life absurder") Siegfried Sassoon ''But the past is just the same,—and War's a bloody game. . . . Have you forgotten yet?”) significantly enriched the catalogue of English poetry. Brooke and Owen did not survive the War.

In "The Old Vicarage, Grantchester ", Brooke passes some interesting comments on the inhabitants of certain parts of Cambridgeshire as was then (“For Cambridge people rarely smile, Being urban, squat, and packed with guile”) no change there then…interspersed with quite challenging observations (They love the Good; they worship Truth;They laugh uproariously in youth; And when they get to feeling old, They up and shoot themselves, I'm told) . . sadly unverified.
However its finale is deeply embedded in the half forgotten less remembered phrases that abound in English as she is spoke..to wit

“yet
Stands the Church clock at ten to three?
And is there honey still for tea?

Here endeth the lesson…..
regards

ps your prescience is, however, commended as I am indeed a Betjeman aficionado, but not just because of Miss Joan Hunter Donne. ( “the Hillman is waiting”….)

see, I managed to work a car into this rant….
Now what was this thread about?
peter
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Peter,
Truly a masterclass in English poetry, Brooke indeed! Betyerman didn't know that.
Regards
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

I present another, later, picture of the great man. I hope this will be of assistance.
I can see it now, it is obviously Alain Prost. Fancy him starting out driving a converted pram in north London!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Oh! Mary, don't be silly. Here is another clue.

Copyright. R F Bull.
Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob .. Why are you trying to trick us with pictures of Frenchmen ...

The bloke with the woooly hat has to be Inspector Clouseau..... (he only drove a pink car)
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

Sorry Jack, I just did not want to make it too easy for you, perhaps this may help .............

Regards
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Bob .... How are we meant to guess ??? when all we can see is the back of his head !!!!

jack
Robin Singleton
Anti spam question: MSA

Post by Robin Singleton »

I've got it.....they are devising a stunt for Dads Army!

Robin S
Mary Lindsay
Morgan Class D

Post by Mary Lindsay »

Is the one in the middle Corporal Jones?
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

I had thought to bring a modicum of intelligent discussion into the forum, but as always 'certain people' have made a mockery of my efforts, so to endeavour to return to the original theme of this piece I submit another 'mystery photo' for the delectation of those of you who like to excercise their gray matter.

Circa 1975. Prototype, motorised!

any ideas?

Owd Bawb.
Regards
john bevan

Post by john bevan »

well one fuel cap = type 35 bugatti
Morgan Club Sport. The only way to drive to and from races!
Bob Bull

Post by Bob Bull »

john bevan wrote:well one fuel cap = type 35 bugatti
One that has shrunk in the wash, John?
Regards