AVO coil-over dampers?

Technical queries or suggestions
Harald H. Soleng

AVO coil-over dampers?

Post by Harald H. Soleng »

Hi everybody!

I have a 2008 (ex factory January 3rd) Morgan Plus 4 4-seater. It has the new four-leaf rear suspension, and even with no luggage and only small children in the rear seats, it seems to bee too soft. It bottoms out into the rubber stops all the time. The sudden change from soft to hard suspension is very uncomfortable for the rear seat passengers. We prefer the predictably hard ride of our 1981 Morgan 4/4 4 seater (with Rutherford conversion and six leaf springs instead of the original seven leaf setup).

I am wondering if any one has experience with the AVO coil-overs:
http://www.avouk.com/pm/79
Is there enough space to fit these with 1.9inch ID coil springs?

Merry Christmas! 8-)

Greetings,
Harald
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Re: AVO coil-over dampers?

Post by jack bellinger »

You need to take off the rear shocks check.. open/closed length of the Shock/abs.between the centre of both holes write it down..
with both s/abs off jack the body up let axle have full droop //measure between centre of each pin let it down and bounce //measure fully compressed Write it down..

check the two different measurements you may find that the wrong size s/abs on there

jack
Harald H. Soleng

Post by Harald H. Soleng »

I think I have the length issue sorted. The distances are 8.5" and 11.5". The closest of the AVO coil-overs is 8.5" and 12". The extra 1/2 inch at the maximal extension should not matter or what?

My worry is the outer diameter. Is there enough space? Since I live in Norway, I would like to avoid to import a pair of dampers and springs, pay import tax and then find out that they are too thick. Hence, I ask the Morgan competition community: do you have any experience with coil-overs, and will they fit?

Best regards,
Harald
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

What I was getting at .. are the original s/abs the correct length. We have seen on some late cars that the fctory fitted s/abs bottom out and reach their max travel before the suspension has moved all its travel..

thus going solid on you

jack
Barry Sumner

Post by Barry Sumner »

I have used coil over dampers on my Mogs for over 20 years – in both competition mode and touring mode – its works believe me - will draft up what I have done and hopefully with some photos over the Christmas period and post early in the New Year
jack bellinger
Tech Comm

Post by jack bellinger »

Barry I think that on Haralds Car He has the hoop type bar that goes across the chassis and the dampers lower fiking is on the backplate

jack
chas windridge
Tech Comm

Post by chas windridge »

Hi Harald
Unfortunately the AVO coil-overs will not fit using the standard mounting points, the outer diameter of the coil spring fouls the hoop and chassis. On race cars we do fairly major mods to fit them in and make them work properly, which on a road 4-seater is impractical.
Maybe easiest to consider fitting "old type" 6 or 7 leaf springs.( which has been done on at least two UK 4-seater +4's ) I think you will need 15mm offset axle pad blocks (Mulfab) to return axle back to standard "new" position.

Cheers
Chas
Chas